How many passes do you do?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Matt0210, Oct 13, 2016.

?

How many passes do you do?

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. 3

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. 4 or more

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. elduderino2412

elduderino2412 New Member

2. WTG & XTG. I've tried ATG, super coarse hair doesnt allow it. I get ingrowns if i do the ATG.

Jayaruh, Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Started out with three. Since I have been using my '71 SA-109, I'm down to two(WTG, XTG cheeks and chin, ATG neck). :shaver

3. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

With my newly acquired Mühle R89 I started with one pass back in 2015 - and I wondered why I would not get a close shave :confused: Then I realized I might need to do more passes, so I did 3 for a while. Now, thanks to some hours of practice and the 30-day-focus-group, I get a BBS shave in 2 passes 95 percent of the time.

4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I used to do 3 passes every day, WTG, XTG, ATG, with some touch up. I've reduced that 2 1/2 passes, with AGT only on neck and jaw, with a couple of touch-up passes in that same area. I voted 3 because my 2 1/2 with touch-up seemed closer to 3 than 2. My beard is course enough that I have to do the extra work on the jaw and neck, or it will really rub my shirt collars. Before my beard starting going gray, I would have a 5:00 shadow by 2:00! I would frquently have to shave in the evening if we were going out to some event or nice a restaraunt, and that was with the demon carts! Now my beard doesn't show up as much, but if I wanted to knock it back for going out, a single pass with a DE gets it done with a lot less irritation than the carts.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  5. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Two passes plus any touch up if needed.

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

2 passes with a straight, 3 with a DE and either or with a SE.

Jayaruh, Redfisher, Matt0210 and 4 others like this.
  7. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

2 passes with a R41 v2013 & Fatip DE, and all my others DE razors 3 passes.

Jayaruh, Redfisher, Lfs70 and 5 others like this.
  8. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Two is sufficient for me.

Jayaruh, Matt0210, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Two passes does the trick for me. Usually one WTG and another pass for touch ups, just for good measure.

Jayaruh, Redfisher, Matt0210 and 4 others like this.
  10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree. I use a Merkur 34c and of the blades I've tested so far the Astra SP is one of the tops. A few more blades to test however I'm sure the Astra SP will be one I buy in bulk.

11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

If I were shaving on a daily basis - probably just 2 passes with touch up as needed. Since retiring - I do 3 passes. I have the time and why not take it to enjoy the process longer. Plus I take more time now to apply hot towels to my face as part of the prep. Really enjoy it this time of year with the cold weather.

Keithmax, BamaT, Carbide Mike and 3 others like this.
  12. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

13. RetLEO-07

A Minimilist. Very impressive.

14. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Normally 2. With and across on the cheeks and chin, with and against on the neck. With the SR I usually go around one more time to get the spots I missed.

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Can I change my vote? Since picking up the str8, I eliminated one pass. I can now get er done with 2 passes and a touch up:)

16. RetLEO-07

Get 'er done! "Now that's funny right there!" :)

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    I do 10 passes.

Metro, TitanTTB, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  18. I always do three. Two is usually good but the third cleans up the jaw line

BamaT, Carbide Mike, Matt0210 and 2 others like this.
  19. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Generally two passes as in WTG and XTG work for me. On rare occasions I may do a three pass shave.

Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice!

Matt0210, Carbide Mike and Spyder like this.