Martin de Candre

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by bscarpenter, Dec 23, 2016.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

A very generous member saw a post that I made about a failed attempt to get my friends to bring me some Martin de Candre home from Paris and kindly sent me a sample.

For those who have never used it, it is what I would call a croap or a very pliable soap. I took the sample and pressed it onto the bottom of my scuttle. I then used two different badger brushes & have gotten four shaves from the sample. I still have enough left for a shave or two. This soap lasted a few shaves longer than I anticipated. It lathers extremely easily. I load the brush and lather it all in my scuttle with little effort. The lather is more creamy than foamy. I'm not sure what scent it is. It is very subtle and may be unscented & I'm just smelling the soap. The lather does not clog up the razor at all even though it is relatively rich. It is not the slickest lather in the world & it leaves no residue on my face after the shave.

Overall, this is an excellent shave soap. Is it legendary? I don't know as there are many excellent artisan soaps and many that I have yet to try. It is however what I would consider a very good to excellent soap. Nice to be able to get a few shaves in using it during the Decadent December 30 day focus. It is expensive, but would probably last you a very long time and could easily be my "go to" soap. Thank you @Norcalnewb for the sample.

2. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the honest review. I didn't expect it to be a soft soap for some reason since everyone says that it lasts forever. For anyone else looking for MdC samples including the new scents, this site is selling them.

3. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

That Site looks like an awesome site. Thanks for the resource.

Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One of my top soaps, MdC is always in my rotation. The standard by which I evaluate other soaps.

Bama Samurai, ARGH and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

My friend brought me home a jar from Paris recently. It DEFINATELY is not a soft soap. In the jar it is as hard as a rock. That might be why the longevity is forever on a jar of the stuff.

While I love several different shave soaps and realize I probably paid way to much for soap...MDC has a special place in my heart. It just....well.......It just works and smells great.

6. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Many would say it is legendary for its high price, but if you consider how long it lasts it is very inexpensive on a per shave basis. I do, however, find it leaves my skin feeling dry post shave. Great lather though...easy to whip up a face full with just a few strokes of a brush.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I can echo both of your thoughts. I enjoy many different soaps but MdC is the standard I measure others against. If forced to pick one soap, it would be MdC.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. Sid James

Sid James Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of MDC special editions over the years and I wouldn't describe either as pliable or a croap. It's a good soap and I can see why it's as popular as it is, but I find post shave for ME is lacking and that's why it's not a permanent fixture, just too many that pip it to the post.

Demidog, Carbide Mike and Jorvaljr like this.
  9. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

MdC original Lavender and Fougere scents will be in my den as long as I shave or they make it. Great stuff and the 200g jar does last a very, very long time.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. cegadede

cegadede Member

I've went trough a couple of jars of MDC and it's a soft soap (one bought in Paris and one on line). The sample I tested at printemps in Paris was hard, but the seller said it was that way because it spent a lot of time open and had dried.

Enviado de meu XT1225 usando Tapatalk

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Much cheaper to purchase directly from MdC. (I use the term "cheaper" loosely)

Keithmax and Demidog like this.