December 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2016.

?

What is your most decadent item/product in your collection?

1. A vintage straight razor

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. A modern straight razor

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. A magnificent and hyper-expensive soap

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. A magnificent and cheap soap but man does it lather

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. A vintage DE razor

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. A modern DE - Stainless baby

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  7. An incredibly soft and luxurious brush

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  8. An incredibly stiff and scritchy brush

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. It's all decadent when I use it

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. Seriously, this poll just gets longer all the time. Pass the cookies and let's go.

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Scentsy No.4, Vulfix 660
    Gillette 195, Ladas blade
    Alum, Canoe AS

[​IMG][​IMG]

An acceptable lather generated by the room air freshener company's foray into shave cream. Three passes & G-slides yielded CCS for me, and SAS enough to ride 60 miles for a Golden Corral buffet family meet up. Aunts & uncles, cousins & kids, and their kids too. Yum.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Jared.

3. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Decadent December 27 -

EverReady 1912 / Gem PTFE (1)
    Supply Provision synthetic brush
    TOBS Avocado croap
    Alum and Clubman VI Bay Rum

My first ever shave with one of these Gem-blade razors so I kept to old reliables for everything else. Very different from shaving with a DE or even an injector, but I remembered to keep the cap flat to the face and use light pressure and it seemed to go well. At least the stubble is mostly gone and there was no bloodshed. In fact, overall I would even call the result a DFS.

I'm not sure how much I will want to use my 1912, but for now I will keep it in my rotation. The razor is certainly smooth with that PTFE blade - I felt no tugging or scraping of any kind during the shave.

4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Congratulations to you and your bride on retirement!

5. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

ewwww.jpg

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Slim K 4 1965
    Blade: Voskhod Bocko II Teflon (4)
    Brush: Elite Razor Tres Amigos Desert Ironwood Beehive w/Envy White
    Soap: Reef Point Soaps Tranquility
    Aftershave: Floid Vigoroso
    Another great shave with this brush and razor. Three passes with a touch up and a great finish with the Floid Vigoroso. One of my favorite aftershaves.
    27 12 16.jpg

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great photo. I like the reflection of the products. :happy096:

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks Doug!

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks Adam! I appreciate it.

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Decadent December but no pic Wednesday:

I was looking through my back up storage drawer and I found a Haslinger Sandalwood puck I haven't used in a long long time. I remember it being very good so it is the soap for the next four days.

Day 4 with the Rocnel adjustable and I loaded a fresh Silver Blue and turned all the way open. The Haslinger produces a nice lather, thick, slick and with lot's of cushion. The Rocnel goes up to 8 but I went past that and it worked fine, aggressive, just the way I like my razors. The first three passes were great so I turned it down a few notches and did my ATG pass. The result is a long lasting BBS but one weeper and a just a tingle from the alum kept this at just the awesome shave level, just short of epic.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not going to Rule, but a shavette focus sounds good. I'll surely get distracted, but with soap, brush, and AS rotations a Focus will get my technique in better order.

12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_4655.JPG

December 27 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Nuavia Blu
    Scheon Burg 665
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman Vanilla AS

After a day running errands and getting a few things around the house done, I had time for a rare evening shave. I also managed enough time for a straight shave, so I used this Scheon Burg razor I had picked up a while back but just recently honed by @DaltonGang. I also received a couple of samples of Nuavia Blu and Rossa from @clint64, so I used the Blu (as picked by my oldest daughter) this evening.

The scent of this soap is very complex. I can get a little of the citrus on the front end, but the spices florals really come out to me. I can get the jasmine and yling yang quite a bit. The Vanilla comes in on the tail end and rounds put the scent nicely. My middle daughter said it was the best thing she had ever smelled, and I have to admit it is one of the better scented soaps I have used. It develops tons of lather; I easily could have gotten 4 or 5 passes from the little bit of soap I used. The lather is nice and slick with good cushion. The post shave feel is also very good. I had my kids come in and smell the lather after I was done shaving, so it was a few minutes before I put on some PSB. Often, my skin feels tight and dry when I do this. With this soap, that didn't happen. My face felt soft and smooth. I likely skipped the PSB all together. Overall, this seems like a top notch soap, which is very bad entering a NB17. This may have to end up on. My birthday wishes list.

The shave itself went very well. The razor was well honed and very smooth. I did two passes for a DFS. I did manage to scratch myself with the sharp point, but not too bad. It was really nice to have a straight shave again. This was a great wrap up to thks great day.

I hope everyone has had a great day!

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'm feeling some love for shavettes next month.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Jim, I am so pleased the package made it safely. Marco, the maker of the soap, recommends using the remaining lather as an AS balm while cleaning up the brush etc followed by a rinse. I usually use this approach and find that I don't use a balm and on many days I don't even use an aftershave.

15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Sssssweet set up Jared. :happy096:

Drygulch, clint64, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Thank you, Clint. It definitely raises the bar for injectors.

I hear that.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nuavia Blu, MDC, The Fat... No NB'17 for me. I'm still thinking about Tabac, B&M, Stirling... But I've got my Route66!
    And you won't get my Arko, unless you pry it from my wrinkled pruney fingers.

18. PickledNorthern

Thank you both.

19. PickledNorthern

Sounds like a great morning. Who made the scuttle?

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Decadent December!!

December 27

Razor - Soviet Consul
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Semogue 620
    Post - Alum

December is slipping away fast! Already on the 5th shave with the Consul. Only 4 to go. Tonight was head shave night with the Merkur 23c, VdH Boar and Deluxe and it went fantastically. Then, time to face the Consul on setting 5. So far no issues with this razor. The blade looks only slightly wonky so maybe it's going to give me a good run. Last night it was irritation free and a beautiful finish so I'm hoping it continues.

I'll sum it up with two words. Blood. Irritation. But....I'll temper those words by saing the blood was total technique fail and the irritation, while rising, is not a killer. The cut occurred when setting down under my right ear. I was getting all arrogant about how well the shave was going. Smooth, really nice feeling and I was pretty sure it would be near-BBS or better. And, I went to start an XTG pass under my ear and brought the razor down too vertical and WHAM! Cut right on the blade. Was totally a failure on my part to set it down right. Rookie mistake. Beginner's boo-boo. Idiot mode. Not a huge cut but enough. I went ahead and finished the shave and did get my near-BBS. However, the irritation on the neck is noticeable. And the face is beginning to just show a little too with the alum. Something tells me it's not going to get better from here on out.

I have focused strongly on riding the cap which will hopefully keep the irritation manageable through the entire range. My goal is to finish all 9 settings with passable shaves to prove, once and for all, (or at least once) that the Soviet era did produce at least one usable razor. Have a great night!

images.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.