SoS: December 26, 2016 - January 1, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Dec 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Happy New Year

Hi Friends,

here is my first shave in the New Year. It was a very good shave.

[​IMG]
    Razor: Merkur 34c // Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra // Soap: Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica // Brush: Markus Herber 26mm HMW // Aftershave: Anherb Aftershave Conditioner

The Merkur 34c has been the first quality razor since starting my classic wetshaving career. So i thought that this razor deserves the first shave of the new year. Didn´t regret it in any way. In combination with the blade the shave was gentle, very close and damn smooth. The soap deserved the start into the new year as well. It´s soooo good. I found my Anherb Aftershave Conditioner in the back of my den. Haven´t used it a loooong time. But man, this is great stuff. Excellent skincare and even better scent. Love it a lot. Glad, that i have 3 closed tubs in my den as reserve.

Hope everyone is well and healthy. Enjoy your time and your shaves. Take care.

Greetings
    Thorsten

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

And now...your regularly scheduled Sunday reminder! This thread wraps up tonight and will close for transition to a new week. The new thread is up, join @crackstar and the usual suspects for a great first full week of 2017:

SoS: January 2, 2017 - January 8, 2017

Happy New Year!

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Planned SOTN January 1st
    [​IMG]

Merkur 34c
    Astra SP
    Dr Jon's Hydra
    Satin Tip The Purest
    Crown King scuttle

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

4. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Wholly Kaw - Fougère Bouquet
    Rubberset 200-4 | Omega Boar
    RazoRock Black Mamba | Feather New Hi-Stainless (1)

[​IMG]

This was my first time to use Wholly Kaw's "Fougère Bouquet", and apparently, I've been missing out on this elegant, slightly sweet and spicy, fougère. There's enough cedar and sandalwood to mitigate the sweetness, and the scent unfolds and deepens about half-way through the shave with damp green plant-like notes and finally gentle musk and oakmoss. Fougère Bouquet accomplishes this without abandoning the initial slightly floral opening notes or resorting to damp earth. I don't want to mislead by suggesting this is a floral fragrance, but rather one that's steadfast in maintaining its identity as a fougère yet is complex without being weighty. It's a well-crafted men's fragrance.

As to the performance, this tallow base is excellent. Wholly Kaw has never suffered from slickness issues, but their tallow base seems to step it up, and the post-shave is improved as well.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention Wholly Kaw's drastic label revamp. I certainly appreciate thematic designs for seasonals or special editions, but nothing beats a clean, uncluttered uniform design for year-round stock. Wholly Kaw now has this in spades with a clean, stylized display. The tallow and vegan bases are easily differentiated by their contrasting but complementary color schemes, and the new logo is a far cry from the original. Finally, Wholly Kaw has a label that matches the quality of its product.

[​IMG]

5. smittywerbenmanjensen

smittywerbenmanjensen Active Member

I took a picture with my s7 but jpeg was too large evidently. Here is a list though of my New Years Day kickoff shave. 1) Proraso Pre-shave 2) Speick tube shave cream 3) Merkur Futur razor with Feather yellow blade 4) Art of Shaving alum block 5) Irisch Moos AS.

6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

A late shave today using my Paketa Russian. I didn't remember this razor being as noisy as it was. Two-and-a-half days of mostly 2016 growth gone. Hello 2017. A fantastic shave to start the year. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Haslinger Honig Shave Soap
    Savile Row 3824
    1961 Paketa 5/8
    Osma Bloc d'Alun
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

Paketa 1961 AOS HASH SR AOS standing.jpg

Happy shaving everyone - Karl

7. DabblinRazors

DabblinRazors Well-Known Member

Everything about that photo is beautiful.

I love this photo including the greenery and such at the bottom.

8. DabblinRazors

Matt, another fine write-up and a pair of excellent photos.

9. 120inna55

Thanks. Once again, I couldn't decide on my favorite. My wife preferred the close-up.

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I email photos before posting. The email gives the option to resize. 70% most always works.
    I too use an s7.

11. DabblinRazors

Funny, I slightly preferred the other due to the evident printed detail on the blade.

12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Evening Shave
    Route 66 Twisted Tweed Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Dubl Duck Dwarf
    WSP Gaelic Tweed AS
    This was the best shaves ever with a razor that I honed myself. I'm BBS and feeling good.
    Happy New Year!
    [​IMG]

13. 120inna55

Heh, I hadn't noticed that.

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Happy New Year!!

January 1

Prelude Shave

Razor - Steam Punk Gillette New LC
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Route 66 Bay Runner
    Brush - BoS Omega 10066
    Post - Alum

I have yet to finalize my focus this month, probably because it will be a bit unfocused. It will, however, involve shavettes/AC razors in some capacity. I'm sure I'll have it figured out later tonight or early tomorrow. In the meantime I have this great new (to me) New LC with a Voskhod in it that has one more shave left on it and one more as yet untried sample of Route 66 soap, Bay Runner. So, let's kick off the new year and month with that setup. The razor I know is fantastic, as is the blade, so let's see what I think of this soap.

The Route 66 Sweeney Todd is a fantastic scent. And, Bourbon Jungle was also right up there for me. The Black Pearl was nice but not really my thing. As I lathered the sample I could tell I was going to like Bay Runner. I picked up the cinnamon touches early on and the complex mix of other scents from citrus to sandalwood were a great mix. Very masculine, clean and I like it. It produced what I have quickly learned is the typical Route 66 lather and provided a fantastic shave for the New and Voskhod. No blood, extremely smooth, perfect start to the year. Couldn't have been better. Alum was quiet as opposed to the last couple of days on the Consul.

Hope your year started as well as my first shave of the year went!!

[​IMG]

15. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

My sotd
    IMG_4326.jpg
    I originally planned on shaving with the doc today. Then I thought I'd switch it up by using the pal. I had to switch from the pal to the doc. The Pal was really rough But I was able to salvage the shave.

Happy shaving gents

16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Gorgeous razor! Great shave to kick off the New Year!

clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  17. smittywerbenmanjensen

smittywerbenmanjensen Active Member

How did you upload picture? I tried to buy it said my jpeg file 3.4MB was too big.

DabblinRazors, Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.