Ivory Scale Razors.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Dec 27, 2016.

1. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

The Heljestrands and the Joseph Rodgers are in rotation. The Hill set isn't used that often, not that keen on the 4/8 size.

2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I have this frameback and I think maybe the scales are ivory. Very thin, feels cool to the touch, thoughts?

IMG_1559.JPG IMG_1560.JPG IMG_1563.JPG

3. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Look like ivory. Cool to the touch is another sign of real ivory.

4. SolingerStahl

SolingerStahl Well-Known Member

Here are my W. LEUCHARCHS 'PICCADILLY' from London ca. 1830-50 with ivory scales.
    Both came very aged and rusty with a lot of other historic shaving & cosmetic care stuff.
    Both scales were damaged and missing a piece of the tip or at the foot pin.
    So I used a small cut from one scale to repair the other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rainer

5. SolingerStahl

Another one with ivory scales is a CAST STEEL butterfly double blade straight razor from Sheffield ca. 1800-1850.
    Both scales were missing broken off pieces of ivory, so I took some cuts from the unrestored LEUCHARS to restore this one.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the color of the canibalized ivory is somewhat too bright, but however I'm just glad to got this rare butterfly restored...

[​IMG]

Waate, Carbide Mike, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

7. SolingerStahl

... liquid Cyanacrylate 'Super Glue' ...

8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

9. Redfisher

Thanks!
    I was hoping you might know a little bit more about it maybe the approximate date etc. ?

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, I'll go for the easy part first... Johan Engstrom started his company in 1874. Based on the dates stamped on it, the razor cannot be any older than late 1881. The company went out of business in 1917. The blade on your razor has the same characteristics as mine, but Dannemora is stamped on my spine and 1874 is etched on my blade. As my razor indicates an 1889 award, I'll guess and say your razor is anywhere from 1882 to 1889. Very cool indeed!

11. Redfisher

Great information Jim. I'm completely amazed at the condition of this razor especially considering how old it is.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Glad to provide the info. By the way, the steel on the Engstrom razors is incredible. It's very hard and holds an unbelievable edge.

13. DaltonGang

Lucky find on eBay. George Wostenholm & Sons IXL razor, with Ivory Scales. It was only $7.50, but I rolled the dice on the condition of the blade. The blade ended up looking very good, and should hone up nicely. After I received it in the mail, I knocked off some dirt and scum, and looked under the 60x loupe. I wasn't expecting Ivory, but all indications looked like it might be. I could see definite Schreger Lines in the scales and the scales are very thin too. I might be cleaning up this one tomorrow, and stabilizing the crack.
    P4220842.JPG

P4220841.JPG

jgreenepa, Manumik, twhite and 4 others like this.
  14. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

Does mammoth ivory count? In a moment of insanity, I shelled out the money for a new mammoth ivory razor. It was a stupid expenditure of money, but on the upside, there's no legal issues with mammoths since they're already extinct. I bought it mainly for the novelty. In the looks department, I think ivory is on the bland side. With the color and texture, I think my rams horn razor is the coolest looking.
    Mammut.jpg

jgreenepa, Manumik, PLANofMAN and 4 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

It looks good. Big and chunky.
    Nobody has been kicking the doors down, to get mine yet. I'm pretty sure they were manufactured before The Ivory Import Ban.
    Shhhhhh. First Rule about the Ivory Razor Owners Club, is that you don't talk about The Ivory Razor Owners Club. There are several more rules too, but I forgot them. :angelic007:

jgreenepa, Mr. Oldschool and Karl G like this.
  16. DaltonGang

I prettified it a little, as well as stabilized the crack. I also polished the scales some. I haven't honed it yet. Its edge is a little spotty, but not much. It should hone up quickly, when I make the time.

George Wostenholm & Sons IXL
    P4240849.JPG

P4240850.JPG

17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I _may_ have bought a razor with ivory scales. I'll get some good photos in the next couple of days. It's an S.R. Droescher 18K (SRD). If not, it's probably bone, because I'm not sure the celluloid was up to this kind of striations in the late 1800's. Best I can find, it's from somewhere between 1916 and 1924. Definitely not high grade ivory - we have a letter opener that's made from that, and this doesn't look anything like it. (Hey, maybe its warthog! :p )

In the same batch I picked up a J. S. Holler & Co, Adoph Blaich straight with a broken scale (at the pivot pin).

I'll be starting a thread with the straights I have, and asking opinions on which should be "the" one I should get honed and by whom. I have most of the hones necessary to do it myself, but I haven't dropped the dosh for the 8K hone that I need. Going from 3/5K straight to 12 would be a BIT nuts.

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  18. Bookworm

Get an inexpensive appraisal from a jeweler. If they put down that the company in question that made the razor was prior to the ban, that's your certificate to retain ownership as well as for your home insurance policy. (If you want certification of materials and age, that's probably cheap. If you want valuation estimation, then it'll cost a bit more for the appraisal)

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  19. Bookworm

Karl G likes this.
  20. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

Yukio Kamijo 11/16”

[​IMG]