January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

El Druida D-7 Manchurian
    Route 66 Sweeney Todd
    RazoRock Black Mamba
    Feather HS #3
    Route 66 Sweeney Todd Aftershave Balm

[​IMG]

2. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

3. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

My second night with the toggle/BIC...toned it down to "4" and "2" across my throat. A bit too mild. Looks like "3" is the sweet spot, just like the Slim. Learned to not worry about getting *all* the stubble off my throat, too. I'm doing more irritating than shaving. At least stop going over the same areas repeatedly. Hafta work on my technique on those pesky sideways whiskers.

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I too sometimes do not get it all on my throat. Lately I have been sweating it less. Really sharp Russian steel will do that for you(7 o'clock Greens, Voskhods).

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sorry so late to the party! Hope you had a nice Birthday!

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

A Journey on R66
    2 January 2017

IMG_1207.JPG

Parker SR1
    Derby SS Saloon
    Route 66 - Lumberjack
    L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
    Alum
    The Mighty Osage

Flawless lather, smooth shave, and chilly finish...though I did not get nuts with it. The holiday season is finally winding down. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a terrific Tuesday!
    :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  7. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

stirling.png

Rockwell 6S/R6 Plate/Voskhod (1)
    Stirling 26mm Finest Badger
    Stirling Gentleman Shaving Soap
    Stirling Unscented Witch Hazel
    Stirling Gentleman W/ Menthol Aftershave Splash

Great shave today. Decided my focus this month will be rotating through all of my soaps in an attempt to start finishing some off/putting a dent in some and decided what I will be rebuying and what will never grace my den again.

8. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Today's BET (Beard Elimination Tools):

Feather Artist Club SS
    RozoRock Plissoft Big Bruce
    RazoRock Tobacco
    Unnamed Alum block from my local Indian grocer's
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Clubman Pinaud

Got the new year rolling with the Feather Artist Club SS. I simply adore the scent of RazoRock Tobacco. It is hands down my favorite tobacco scent. I wish it were a cologne. I would wear it copiously. Plenty of lather with some left over. I managed a full face and neck WTG pass, then XTG on the face and part of the neck with no blood shed, and called that a win with the Feather. The face needed no touch up. I did clean up the neck a bit with the Schick G1 because my neck growth patterns are a real nuisance. The alum gave me a stern warning not to push things. The witch hazel shushed it a bit and told me it would be OK. All in all, a happy shave and nice start to shavette focus month. I did pick up a Magic shavette today so that all my DE blades don't feel left out. It will probably see action tomorrow. If the storms leave us with power, that is. I refuse to use it in the dark.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I did thanks. Got to help Herself make supper and watch CFB with my son.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Happy Anniversary January!!

January 1

Mostly Shavettes

Razor - CJB Greager
    Blade - kai-captain-titan-mild-bladessmall.jpg (1)
    Soap - Route 66 Sweeney Todd
    Brush - Semogue 620
    Post - Alum

And off to the focus we go! As I posted earlier, a lot of shavette time this month including the pain sticks and I'm starting with the Greager on a Kai Mild blade. I considered the Feather Pro but decided to stick with the Kai to make it a little less likely I'd bleed copious amounts due to mistakes. It's been awhile since I've used one of these for any length of time.

Sweeney Todd for the soap and the Semogue made enough lather for all of us. Very comfortable first pass and both hands performed well. I was taking my time and letting my left hand work at its own pace. Two passes to include XTG and I'm at a very high level CCS and totally fine with that. I plan to continue on with this razor for a few days to see if I can get DFS or better with 2 passes plus touch up.

Alum was quiet and that was a good thing. Overall a great shave and I'm happy to start the new month (officially) with a bloodless, irritation free shave. I don't imagine it will last the entire month.

January 2.jpg

11. Bama Samurai

Awesome about the shave and the Magic! Just fold the DE blades in half before unwrapping. They break easily with an audible snap. I think you'll have fun with it!

Drygulch, PLAla, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  12. SharptoothC

I usually shave in the evening because I like to take my time, and with a family of five in a small house, bathroom sink time is a hot commodity and in short supply. Because I was off work today, I shaved this morning. But my stubble grows hecka fast, and I had a pretty rough face by this evening. Storm warnings are out, tornado watches are on, sleep is elusive and tomorrow is the first day back to school for the kids. So I decided to get back on schedule and touch up tonight. I have a new Magic shavette (thanks for the recommendation, @Bama Samurai) that was staring at me, so I took advantage of wakefulness and went for it.

My first thought was that it felt very light and cheap. I grabbed an Astra SP blade and started the learning curve. I was nervous about trying to break a DE blade in half, but the fears were unfounded as it went off without a hitch. Inserting it was a bit tricky but I finally figured it out and got it ready to shave. My last experiment with a cheap razor from Sally's (a cheap DE razor) was a bloody affair so there was some trepidation. But I crave variety and experience in my life and I was bored. So I named the shave (yes, I name some of my shaves...I like stories) "Cheap Thrills" and forged ahead.

I knew I needed a soap that I could trust. A soap that would lather unfailingly and not flinch when I set steel to skin. So I broke out the Arko. Nearly instantly I had an ample supply of good, stable lather.

The razor fit surprisingly well in my hands. I had to adjust to the shorter blade as I have been shaving with the Weck and the Feather SS, bit it didn't take long at all. I found myself taking to it quite easily. It felt similar to the Weck in my hands, but the smaller blade exposure made it seem less intimidating. It may have been a head game, but I felt confident with it rather quickly. I ended up with a comfortable 2 passes with cuts, nicks, scrapes or blood.

To finish I slapped some Osage Rub on my face and let it burn while I cleaned my brush and dried my razor. Then I finished up with The Veg.

Cheap, loud, thrilling...A great shave all told. Shavette month is gonna be great (if the tornadoes pass us by)!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Drygulch, Linuxguile, PLAla and 11 others like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

So glad it worked out! If I had to use nothing but Magic forever...I'd be ok with it. It's one of those nice surprises we're cheap doesn't equal awful. The Magic won't last forever, but at $12, if I break or lose one while traveling every year or so, it doesn't really hurt much.

Drygulch, PLAla, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Very nice narrative. I envy you guys in the Southeast and your fun weather. We're just having cold rain and fog. I'd rather have a shot at chasing a real storm but, I'm strange that way. When I used the Magic I was surprised at how well it performed because, like you, my first impression was "cheap". Really a nice tool, though.

Drygulch, PLAla, Norcalnewb and 7 others like this.
  15. SharptoothC

Agreed. I would miss the variety, but if all I had was the Magic and some Arko I could get along rather smoothly.

16. Bama Samurai

You'll see three Shavettes in my January. A Leopard, the Magic, and today's Parker. The Parker and the Leopard are essentially the same design.
    I'm thinking the Durch West Indies in a walled compound would be a nice start at an alternate reality as a tuna fishing redneck.

17. Bama Samurai

And that's what we like to read! Dial on nine? Check. Voskhod? Granted. Quiet Alum? Proof is in the pudding.

18. Bama Samurai

Hero!

19. Bama Samurai

I hope your first lesson sets you on the path to success!

Drygulch, PLAla, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Be careful, you'll wake up in a bathtub full of ice in a Gorky warehouse. Then, you'll realize that in addition to a raging hangover, you're now short one kidney.

Tactics without strategy is the noise before the defeat. -Sun Tzu

IMG_1068.JPG

Keithmax, Drygulch, PLAla and 8 others like this.