First Straight Shave

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by bscarpenter, Dec 30, 2016.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

My TSD raffle straight has been sitting in my den taunting me for over a week now. I've ordered a strop, but the stars aligned this morning. I have the day off, an empty house for 30min and two days growth. So, I whipped up a nice bowl of Mitchel's wool fat, brushed it on and grabbed the shiny red Solingen. After I practiced holding it, feeling out the angle and motion, I started on my cheek. All went well and I switched to my left hand. After a few practice motions I started to scrape off foam I rinsed and what do you know? Not a bad shave with no damage. That went just a little too easy so I lathered up again and shaved my jaw & neck. I left my chin and upper lip for another day. I grabbed my DE aristocrat and did a second pass to finish up a DFS. There was a fair amount of feedback from the alum and one tiny weeper on my cheek that I didn't notice until after I got dressed. I finished it off with some venerable Lucky Tiger. Overall a good experience. I was surprised by how light the blade is requiring a firm grip so it wouldn't "jump around" or skip. I also think that the rather heavy feedback and slight razor burn was from too much pressure. I survived unscathed thanks to all of the good info on this site. It was a great way to end my best year of shaving.
    FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

NCoxSTL, mrchick, Navarrsky and 8 others like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Congratulations on the initial SR adventure! Once you become more familiar (with practice) with holding the razor and developing the right 'touch,' it'll become almost as natural feeling as DE shaving.
    :happy096:

NCoxSTL, ram57 and Karl G like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet! :happy088::happy088:

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

It's beginning.
    image.jpeg

6. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

And another for the dark side...Welcome.

NCoxSTL, ram57, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Congratulations. I wish my first straight shave went that well
    It takes a while to get the angle and pressure correct, but feels really good when it comes together. Have fun!

NCoxSTL likes this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Fantastic first attempt with a straight. I was also surprised the first time I used one in how small it seemed. They look so big in the pictures. LOL And heavy, which they aren't. Well, most aren't at least. My Gold Dollar is actually pretty hefty.

Step one down....now just keep taking them and soon you'll be breathing through a mask and telling people you're their father.

Bama Samurai and Karl G like this.