Adjustable Question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DentonMajik, Jan 7, 2017.

1. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

I've recently been using a Gillette Fatboy and haven't dialed over a 5. I know adjusting it either increases or decreases the blade gap, but if you shave every day what is the benefit of dialing all the way up? I do have a very coarse beard and sometimes even after a 3 pass shave will have some rough spots. Will dialing it up and riding the cap decrease the rough spots and the need to go back for a cleanup? I use Astra Superior Platinum Blades with thus razor.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The purpose of the adjustable, or should I say the benefit of, is dialing to what gets you a close comfortable shave. I leave mine locked at 6. Any higher and I can get close, but not comfortable. Any lower and I can get comfortable, but not as close as I like. Just gotta experiment with it and let your face give you the answer of what setting it likes best.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

What I did was move up a notch every couple of shaves until I found out the best shave/comfort level. For me 5 is an everyday shave and up to 7 for shaves when skipping a day or two. Riding the cap is the way to go.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

DentonMajik and swarden43 like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Started my Fatboy shaves at 3. Settled at 5 for months. Eventually upped to 7, now I'm at 9. Using various blades, but mostly Voskhods. If I use a Feather I might drop down to a level 7.
    Riding the cap smooths out my shaves for sure. More than settings or blade choice. While using one particular blade of your choice, try upping one setting at a time until you get a rough one, then back down a notch.

6. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Experiment. That's what keeps things fun for me.

Theoretically, the larger the number, the larger the blade gap, the larger the blade exposure, the closer the shave in fewer passes. The key is pressure. Turn that Fatboy up to 9 and shave with it like that for a week. You'll know pretty quickly whether you really knew what no pressure was before. The first time I cranked it up to 9, I had quite a few nicks and irritation. Only took about 3 shaves there and I was getting some of the best shaves ever. Now I rarely take it down off of 9. Don't back down right away if it bites. Give it a fair run at the higher setting for a while before deciding.

opsimath, Demidog, DesertTime and 4 others like this.
  7. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

I have found with Astra sp's in my Fatboy, after the first shave or 2 on a fresh blade, I dial it up to 9 and leave it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Sounds like a Focus could be in your future. That's what I did last month with my '71 Super Adjustable. Using your Fatboy and different blades and settings you'll find the optimum combination for your face. For me Voskhods worked out the best. First shave with a two day growth, I had her at "8" then "7" for the second pass and touch up. Then M-F "7" and "6" until Thursday when I kept it "7" & "7". Good luck in finding what works for you. It'll be worth it.

DentonMajik and RyX like this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I shave with my Fatboy, Slim or BB dialed in at 7 for a 2 pass + touchup comfy BBS, but I don't have a very heavy beard. I'd dial up a step at a time till you find the right setting, the Fatboy is a great razor and I find myself reaching for it more than my others.

DentonMajik, RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

My father boy number is 7/8 I like them both for daily shaving

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DentonMajik likes this.
  11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:
    If I didn't like my NEW & EJ DE89 so much my SA-109 would probably be my daily driver. But I want to use 'em all.

DentonMajik and RyX like this.