Looking to get a good bowl for great lathers........

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rib, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

As the title explains, I'm looking for advice on bowls that would assist in creating the very best lathers I can get.

I currently use a rather small wood bowl but feel that I should move to something:

1) Larger
    2) Ceramic?
    3) Ridges inside the bowl to increase lather?

Love to know what you all use or suggest.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Of the 11 lather bowls I have, 7 are soup/chowder mugs. For me, the perfect size.
    I'm not overly impressed with ridges, swirls, knobs, etc. in a shaving bowl. Really don't notice any improvement whipping up a lather, but that's me.

3. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I bought this one at Wally World for $5. Soup bowl with a handle. Perfect. I face lather now though so I don't use it anymore.

Attached Files:

Demidog, Carbide Mike and wristwatchb like this.
  4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Some people swear by a Japanese suribachi bowl like this:
    image.jpeg
    If you want a decadent shave try a scuttle you fill with hot water to keep the lather warm between passes like this:
    image.jpeg

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm one of those Suribachi People @cmorris357 mentioned. I've tried Old Spice mugs, coffee mugs, plastic bowls, etc.
    Though I started face lathering a year & a half ago, the past year 95% of my lathers were made in a rough textured ceramic dish. They are available in many sizes. I have large hands, my dish is about 4-1/2 inches across, maybe 2" deep. Check with your local Asian Foods store and expect to pay around $12-$15, or order from Amazon.

Demidog, Carbide Mike and wristwatchb like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I recently purchased a Captain's Choice bowl. Awesome!

HERM

Demidog and Carbide Mike like this.
  7. I second the captains choice bowl. Low sides that slant in keep the lather inside while the brush dies not clank. The ribs on the bottom make thick lather quickly

Herm2502, Demidog and Carbide Mike like this.
  8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I third the Captain's Choice bowl. :) Shown in this set up is the Captain's Choice bowl. Comes in different colors - mine happens to be the cobalt blue. It is ceramic with circular ridges on the bottom. Just the right size and really works up a great lather. I have found that instead of circular motion - move the loaded brush back and forth rapidly across the ridges and it literally just takes seconds to get a thick lather. Easy to hold as well - highly recommend.
    Dec 21,2016.jpg

9. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I use a soup mug, because it was cheap. However, there have been great things said about Captain's Choice bowls and Murray's (I think that was the name) Green Rubber shaving mug.

Sent via mobile - Chris

10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I too will throw in my vote for a Captain's mug. I have had one since they first came out, and haven't looked for anything else.

If you want to go on the cheap, or need for travel, I have a few of these, and they work fantastically.

[​IMG]

The rubber is just a little bit grippy (for lack of a better word) so they really build lather well.

Demidog likes this.
  11. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

This is my favorite lather bowl is called Via Barberia Ceramic Shaving Bowl made by Omega.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

RyX and Demidog like this.
  12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I went off the deep end in a lather bowl search (search for the thread in here, it is good). Here is what I can tell you:

Shallow, wide bowls work best. Small ridges tend to perform best. I prefer bowls that are at least 5 inches in diameter for ease of use. Make sure you can grip it...it doesn't matter how cool it looks or great it performs if it breaks.

Great brands include Suribachi bowls, Aesop bowls, symmetrical pottery, dirty Bird scuttles, and Georgetown pottery.

You can find some very unique and awesome looking bowls on Etsy.com. You can also find some very cheap and economical options at thrift stores and garage sales. If you are imaginative enough...you can find items just about anywhere... especially if you go by my look for list above.

RyX and Demidog like this.
  13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Linuxguile and Robyflexx like this.
  15. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Suribachi is my only lathering bowl. It works great and can gotten for cheap on amazon.

RyX likes this.
  16. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I had a Captain's Choice bowl and it worked quite well. I now have a handmade from etsy bowl that I use occasionally. Both had little ridges in the bottom and I do believe it helps, even though I rarely bowl lather.

RyX likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I also have a Captain's Choice bowl. I highly recommend it. A good alternative is a 4-5" Suribachi bowl.

RyX likes this.
  18. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

The bowl I have is from a CVS labeled Van Der Hagen shave set I picked up on clearance, but I tend to like shave mugs better.
    I was wondering what the advantages of a wooden bowel might be- other than aesthetics.

Does a wood bowl provide a better lather? Just wondered.

19. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I like the Suribachi too.

Suribachi.JPG

RyX and Straight razor dandy like this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That's my former Dirty Bird Scuttle (sold), in my kitchen and my lather. Nice picture.