Semogue Owner's Club... The Ultimate Boar?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by dkeester, Jan 11, 2017.

1. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

One of my end of December acquisitions was a SOC boar brush from Amazon. I had a gift card from Christmas and I found a decent deal ($26 + shipping).

I decided to give it a whirl yesterday for the first time. Needless to say, I am quite impressed. The bristles are softer than any other boar brush that I have tried (even on the first use) but it still has plenty of backbone. The thing is a bit of a lather hog right now, but I am told that it will settle down some as it breaks in. In two uses it has put a noticeable dent in the puck of PAA soap that I am using. The brush loads quickly and has no problems making a great lather in my bowl. I used it again today with great results.

I think this brush may have spoiled me for other boar brushes. I wish I had picked this one up sooner.

wristwatchb, RaZorBurn123 and Col C like this.
  2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

The SOC Boar is my favorite brush. Took about 20 shaves to really break it in. I'm thinking about buying a second one so I can allow one to totally dry while using the other. I almost never use any of my badgers anymore.
    Dec 28, 2016.jpg

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    30 straight shaves will break this boar brush in correctly. Got to use it plenty to feel how it will eventually feel.

4. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

SOC's only get better with time. Also, if it starts to bloom too much for your liking, try placing it in a toilet paper roll overnight to help bring the hairs back into place.

EzraCobb, RaZorBurn123 and dkeester like this.
  5. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

That is a great hint. Thank you!

RaZorBurn123 and Derhey like this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I really like Semogue brushes and have/had a bunch of them. I had an SOC for a couple years and really liked it. Mine seemed to get too floppy for my tastes after a while and I sold it. I think it would definitely benefit from having a slightly shorter loft.

7. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I love my SOC Boar too :cool:
    [​IMG] and I also love these as well [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. SpeedyPC

@PanChango get yourself a Omega 81020 25/55mm knot or Omega 81052 25/55mm knot instead of the SOC Boar 24/55mm knot

or maybe a Omega 10005 24/50mm Beech Wood Handle ;)

DesertTime and PanChango like this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The Omega 10005 was my first brush when I started out. I have had a bucket of boar knots and even really like the Semogue 2000 which is larger, just for some reason the SOC never really did it for me. Currently I rotate between a few of the Semogue Barbear Classico brushes in Cerda, Mistura, and Tesxugo. Out of all of my brushes the Mistura (Badger/Boar) is my favorite. I keep wishing that Semogue would release some more mixed knot brushes.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. SpeedyPC

Me too I some want some more mixed badger/boar knot and how can we get Semogue to WAKE UP!!!! :(

PanChango likes this.
  11. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

These are lovely brushes, but the knots always splay too much, for me. I much prefer the Zenith boar brush knots as they seem to be more compact.
    As always, YMMV. :)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

The 2000 is even better!

13. Primotenore

Article Team
    BC Mistura...nuff said.
    wVD0q6j.jpg

14. octoserge

octoserge Member

15. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Just got my Semogue 2000 boar brush from Portugal. It is a wonderful brush. As we all know it has a fantastic backbone. I cant wait for it to break in. I used it today for the first time and my only advice to new boar hair brush users is DON'T use it with a mild soap. Use a soap that really lathers up and has a full rich scent. Otherwise your first (I assume first several) shave(s) will smell like you are lathering your face with a small, bristly wet dog. I grew up with dogs as pets and wet dog is a pungent smell. (not scent, SMELL!) Anyway to break it in more quickly than using it every day?
    thanks
    David

PLANofMAN and Primotenore like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Rinse out the brush after shaving, & then lather up the brush with your favorite soap. Let it sit overnight loaded in lather. Rinse thoroughly the next day. Repeat the process for several consecutive days.

wristwatchb and Primotenore like this.
  17. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Excellent. thanks

18. Primotenore

Article Team
    Good advice. Gotta say, my boar brushes have never stunk. Maybe my nose is not as sensitive as others'.

DesertTime and SpeedyPC like this.
  19. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

The only brush that had a "scent" was my horse hair brush. 30 minutes in a cup with hot water and a bit of shampoo - then letting it dry out took care of the wet horse smell. My two boars never really had much of a smell when new.

Primotenore likes this.
  20. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I do...several times over.

If you think Semogue boars are ripe, steer clear of Omegas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk