Wanting opinions on stainless steel razor purchase please!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bistro, Jan 14, 2017.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This. ^^^ I don't think I have ever read a bad word about one.

waffen likes this.
  2. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Timeless, now you can build your own razor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern likes this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have a both a Wolfman OC and Timeless OC with .95 blade gap. The fit, finish and workmanship almost equal that of the Wolfman. The only difference is the inside of the top plate is not mirror polished like the Wolfman. However, the Timeless is readily available. The Timeless .95 blade gap is a more aggressive and efficient that my ATT Aluminum R1. Timeless does offer a reduced blade gap as well but I have not used that one yet.

RaZorBurn123, waffen, Halvor and 2 others like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Since you seem drawn to stainless steel razors here are some recent one in one picture to provide some sense of visual comparison:

Top row:
    Rocnel SE
    Rocnel SE
    Rocnel SE OC
    Rocnel SE5o, polished
    Rocnel SE5o, blasted
    Rocnel DE-P
    Tradere OC

Middle row:
    Barbaros TR-1
    Timeless Razor
    Blackland Blackbird
    Provision Supply SingleEdge
    OneBlade
    Pils 1o1NE
    Mongoose

Bottom Row:
    Rx Asylum
    LAShaving BBS-1
    Weber
    Weber
    Rockwell v2
    Rockwell v1
    Wolfman

[​IMG]

Halvor, RyX, PanChango and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bistro

Bistro Member

6. Bistro

Bistro Member

Thanks so much! decisions.....decisions.....I really like the size of the Rocnel DE-P and Barbaros TR-1 how would you say the fit and finish and shave quality of those two compare to the Timeless?

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Psst! That photo is suitable for framing. Beautiful composition, outstanding subject matter. Get a watermark on there before I find a copy for sale at Hobby Lobby.

8. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Member

I would like to throw one into the mix. Razorock will be releasing the black mamba in the near future. I think I may try and pick one up.

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Lol, thanks.
    I kinda like this one where they are all just lying in a pile :)
    [​IMG]

Halvor, PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  10. Bistro

Bistro Member

I have heard that, but I couldn't find any post that said anything on their site. Do you know how soon and what will be the difference between the Oristo and it?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Member

The Oristo is a copy of the mamba. No clue what subtle differences may exist. I emailed razorock and the reply just said they are working on it now. No release date.

12. Shave Monkey

Shave Monkey Well-Known Member

I own the Oristo and the AS-D2. I love both, but if had to choose to keep only one it would be the Oristo. The Timeless razors are great too - I love my .68 gap OC. You can't go wrong, IMO with either of he 3.

RaZorBurn123 and Asafiev like this.
  13. Bistro

Bistro Member

I saw your post from last month after you received it from the Kickstarter campaign and saw you gave it a favorable review. The only thing that throws me off is the handle. Not sure if I like the looks of it, but if it handles well then I can get over it plus if it uses standard threading then it can be replaced.

RaZorBurn123 and Shave Monkey like this.
  14. Bistro

Bistro Member

They say the Feather is SS with a chrome plating over the top. AS-D2 always look to have a great finish. Shave Monkey would you say that the weight on the Oristo is greater than on the Feather. It's not listed on Oristo's site.

15. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

So is the Oristo still available for sale? Looking at their web site it is a bit confusing.

16. Bistro

Bistro Member

Yes you have to go to
    http://www.stashedandfound.com/

RaZorBurn123 and Shave Monkey like this.
  17. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

AS-D2 = 90.90 grams
    Oristo = 102.40 grams

Shave Monkey likes this.
  18. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

The knurling on the AS-D2 is more pronounced. The Oristo knurling is more flat or muted and also has the notch in the handle that is a natural point for my middle finger as I shave.

19. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

As a side note, the Barbaros TR-2 will be released in the next month.

Shave Monkey and theunnamed like this.
  20. Bistro

Bistro Member

Thanks! So the Oristo is not as heavy as I thought. I was thinking more around the 4oz mark instead of 3.6oz. The feather is lighter at just 3 oz

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk