BIC Disposables: The New Old way of shaving?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Crappy, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Crappy

Crappy Member

I'm about a month or two into converting from the cartridges to wet/method shaving. So I do what any normal ( normal by TSD standards at least) convert does. I tried to convert someone else. I was on the phone with my Dad and was telling him about my discovery of wet shaving. I went on and on about how it's superior. Varieties of soaps, smooth shave, and the other advantages of wet shaving vs. cartridges/disposable razors. He had a simple rebuttal. "I just shave with my single blade BIC in the shower. Don't have time to mess with all that stuff." he said. Doesn't have time? He's retired. Sure, he keeps busy, but he's got time. It occurred to me that there's no point in trying to convince him. Stubborn old fart! I know Grandpa used the DE razors. I was helping remodel their bathroom and tore some plaster out. In the vanity there was a small slit and I never understood what it was for. In between the studs there were old razors piled about 3' high. In retrospect I began to wonder if wet shaving is comparable to a lot of traits. Does it skip generations? It concerned me. Although I haven't produced any lil shavers it bothered me to think of my son using a Mach 3. The image of me lecturing some poor kid by saying, "No son of mine will use those new fangled contraptions!" came to mind. By then they'd probably have 10 blades on a single cartridge. Perhaps I should just get a vasectomy and avoid that shame.
    Pop isn't the only one. I've spoken to my brother, cousins, brother-in-law, the homeless guy that pees in the stairwell in the parking ramp at work. No one seems to want to try wet shaving. I feel like a man who has found the path to Zen and nobody is willing to follow. Oh well. At least no one will steal my shaving supplies. The glass is half full.

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

You have achieved the second most important point of wetshaving:

The first one was to learn how to get comfortable shave, the second is to learn that most people think of you as a retard (even more so when you use a straight) and that 99,99% can't be converted. You'll learn how to live with it - and to smile when you see all those poorly shaven guys out there :D

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :happy097 Indeed.

4. yayrum

yayrum New Member

I think it takes a certain type of person to convert over to wet shaving. That person would have to want a great end result and also have to appreciate the process of achieving that result. I love craft brewed beer. I could go buy that beer in a store but I also enjoy brewing my own beer. It takes time and care to brew a good homebrew. The process of creating my own beer and then tasting that beer and sharing it is equally enjoyable for me. Just like brewing, wet shaving takes time and care to get a great shave. Most people are probably satisfied with their cartridge and canned goo morning ritual. The trick in sharing your new found experience is in finding the right person who will appreciated it. ;)

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

No one will understand until they experience. I had one easy convert, a friend who actually was talking about his lousy shaves before he knew about my obsession, I offered him a complete set up and the rest is history. Then there are people like my wife. Thought I was crazy, (so what if I am) and wanted nothing to do with it. Then one day she runs out of canned goo, I whip up some lather, and she sees first hand how superior it is. Then one day she runs out of cartridges. I tell her that rather than taking a second mortgage to buy some more, she should try this pretty pink DE. The rest is history. Persistence pays off. By the way, my wife has now converted her co-worker.

6. Crappy

Crappy Member

I've decided to be pro-active. With Christmas coming up I think I'll buy a load of wet shaving stuff and pass out as gifts. And hey! If they don't like it, by golly, just send it back to me. There's plenty of room on my bathroom vanity. I sure hope my 10 year old niece likes the Merkur Slant I have picked out for her.

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

That right there is funny stuff :happy102

8. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

:happy102
    Thats really funny.
    Maybe I should by my wife a Wapi. Knowing my luck she'll keep it.

9. Larry T

Larry T Member

Bic

I started wetshaving in April on the advice of my Dermatologist. I had a Fusion, and kept getting ingrown hairs. He recommended a DE, I did some research, and here I am. My son was over at the house one day, when I got a package from Giovanni. The box had a Weishi razor, a decent brush, and a couple of tubes of Proraso cream in it, most of which went home with my boy. He is in a rock band, and several of the guys rent a big house together. One of his buddies started borrowing the Proraso from my son, now I have two converts.

A lady friend was waiting for me to get ready to go to dinner, saw me lathering up with my C&E super badger brush, and asked if she could use something like that to shave her legs. I gave her a quick demonstration(knees down only :o), and now she wetshaves, with a Bic metal disposable.

I used a Bic for a quick touchup this morning, I usually shave at night. Interesting thread, I haven't really tried to convert anyone, it just happened. right place at the right time, I guess.

Larry

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

great story, Larry! :D

11. djm

djm New Member

I have tried converting a few people and I get the strangest looks. Granted, it is when I tell them a straight razor is the best of the bunch. I have actually had people tell me "I shave with a straight!" Then I end up questioning "you mean a 3 inch open blade?" Suddenly they realize that I do not mean a mach III. Then come the inevitable questions of why. Even the environmentalists have not gone for the “reduced waste” argument. I feel utterly alone and rejected…:sad023:sad024

12. Hi Larry,
    Nice post, but I'm confused. Why did you shave your legs only from the knees down? I usually go from ankle to crotch, and finish by shaving my back, using the Ronco shaving razor handle extension.
    Well, to each his own.
    Martin

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I actually converted Armand, my brother-in-law, who is also a member here, as well as 2 of my customers, and one of my emplyees all to traditional wetshaving. My employee now uses a Merkur Vision, I don't know which blades, a C&E Best Badger brush, and Trumpers Almond cream. Armand can tell you what he has, and my 2 customers use all kinds of different stuff.

14. Larry T

Larry T Member

Takes too long, I was hungry. :D

Larry