Your all around "does it all" razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Jan 19, 2017.

1. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

Well said and I agree with you. My Tech is an easy but good shaver to work with

gorgo2 and battle.munky like this.
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I'll second both the Canadian tech and the 40's Superspeeds. I've been using 40's Superspeeds for the better part of the last 2 years only breaking from it every once in a while with my DE89.

They are both really friendly razors. I like the HD when I was just starting out too.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I've been using a Schick type J with twin blades lately and it's so easy to me that I feel like I'm cheating. :cool:

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

From the title, Your all around "does it all" razor, I have yet to find a double edged str8 razor. :p

battle.munky, Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Pre-war triangle slot Tech, hard to beat whether you're a newbie or a veteran shaver. :happy088:

battle.munky, gorgo2 and danbuter like this.
  6. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Schick injectors are damn near fool-proof. Easy 2 pass shave every time.

7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I've read this before but I disagree, it's sometimes said about the OLD type too. I have Canadian and US made Techs and OLD types and they give the exact same shave regardless of country of manufacture. That rumor must have been started by a Canadian! :lyrtuy5:

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes.. But until someone here gets on top of importing the twin blades from Japan they're just too expensive for an everyday shave.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

For the past six years, it's been my Futur --I've used it almost exclusively. Before that I had a Progress, which I liked a lot; I liked it so much I "loaned" it to my son to try -- for 6 years. I just got it back and it's a fine razor, too.

RyX, battle.munky and gorgo2 like this.
  10. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

The HD was the first razor I bought when re-entering DE shaving. As a teen, I started with a Gillette adjustable because it was 1963 and that's what my father gave me.

I gave the HD to my son and it's the only razor he'll use. It is a fine razor for sure, but I switched to adjustable razors.

battle.munky, George X and gorgo2 like this.
  11. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

So many razors are possible candidates. You forgot to supply one crucial piece of information, however. Does the newbie have tough whiskers, or not?

Without that info, I would suggest an adjustable razor. It would handle any type of beard, and do it in style and comfort. I love injectors, but I believe the recommendation of any of the E series for a newbie is premature. The Type E requires a degree of skill and experience, as it is quite aggressive.

RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  12. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Gotta be my Fatboy.;)

RyX, LOOT, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  13. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

My old Velvet razor. Amazing.

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Best all-around razor? Whatever you like.

My choice is for the Schick Krona.

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Respecting the heck out of your opinion but we'll agree to disagree on that. :) Assuming the newb knows literally nothing about these things, figuring out angles of attack for DEs is more like work. Then there's the need to maintain that angle during each shave...too steep or too shallow...then getting discouraged...then blaming the razor...has cause more than one to give up. True, the "angular dial-in" eventually becomes intuitive, but it does start out as a learned skill that takes practice.

With injectors, the flattish face is much more easy to master and control for a newb for the same reason carts are.

RyX, battle.munky and dustmite like this.
  16. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I believe that any injector other than the Schick H is a bit more intuitive than a DE to a new wet shaver. If you can manage a non-pivoting disposable, you should be able to figure out an injector. $0.02 dropped in the bucket!

17. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Yeah......the Krona would most likely be my choice for a non-adjustable. As a matter of fact, the Krona is on the wash basin loaded with an Astra Platinum for tomorrow morning's shave.

sebargan2313, preidy, RyX and 2 others like this.
  18. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

All these replies and only 2 correct answers. Tisk. Tisk.

Any Gillette adjustable will do. You can get a nice Slim for cheap. Drive it low and slow until you get used to it, take the training wheels off, pop some wheelies all in 1 convenient, incredibly well engineered American made hot rod. What's not to love?

RyX, battle.munky, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The head profile.

gorgo2, PickledNorthern and PLANofMAN like this.
  20. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

:happy096:

gorgo2 likes this.