From avoiding at all costs to being excited!!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Caulin, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Caulin

Caulin Member

Hello! I have been lurking on the forums for the past week or so and decided to join in. The only thing shaving has ever given me is acne and pain, so I have always avoided it at all costs by keeping scruff and using a beard trimmer. Fast forward to my senior year at college....I recently went to a funeral and was forced to shave. I forgot how much shaving hurts! I was using the 5 blade cart from the dollar shave club and couldn't wait for the experience to be over. I am also looking for a job (graduating as a mechanical engineer soon) and figured that I will be required to shave anyway.....so i started looking at other options out there and thats when I found out about safety razors.

I pulled the trigger on an Edwin Jagger DE86 (ebony version of DE89 correct?), a perfecto badger brush (a little too stiff for my liking but I'm hoping it breaks in), some Taylor of Old Bond Street Organic Shaving Cream, and some feather blades. MAN WAS THAT FIRST SHAVE AMAZING! I was expecting it to be good but I was totally blown away.

Thats all well and good but now I'm having trouble recreating that first shave. Im not sure if it is my angle or if I am not lathering correctly but my last shave was painful and pulled a lot, especially around the chin. I have not cut or nicked myself yet but I am experiencing very bad pulling. I ordered a sampler pack of DE blades but I do not think that is the problem because my first shave felt so good. I recently read up on the techniques and angles so I will give that a try. The first time I lathered it was quite airy and fluffy...I thought that was wrong so I have been doing a thicker lather, could that be my problem?

Overall the experience is still better than using a cart and I enjoy shaving now. This site has been extremely helpful and I am still searching through it and learning all I can. I have always struggled to make my writing fluid so I apologize if this was a bit jumpy and hard to follow. Thanks everyone for all the help!!

Boojum1, Spyder, AGHisBBS and 12 others like this.
  2. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Welcome to the Den, Caulin.
    I'm sure your techniques (with both razor and brush) need to be developed.
    How many days growth did you have for that first shave? Subsequent shave(s)? The shorter the stubble the greater the need for razor technique. I advise you keep at it, get some experience, and create some muscle memory. All that being said I think it wise to try a sampling of blades (as feathes are known to be very sharp but not forgiving or smooth for some). However, keep the variables to a minimum for the first month or so...
    Good Luck!

Spyder, lightcs1776, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. Caulin

Caulin Member

For the first shave I was as close as I could get with my beard trimmer, definitely the longest of the shaves. I did not know that about stubble, seems a bit counter intuitive. I will definitely let it grow a bit before I shave next time. That is some great advice and I will definitely try and keep the variables to a minimum. Thanks Chris.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    A large part of your initial success was probably due to your inexperience. I remember pressing harder than I should have, zipping the razor around my face with wild abandon once I'd gotten a shave or two under my belt.

Use very little pressure, watch your angle, map your hair growth, and practice lathering. Soap is cheap, so it costs very little to just practice making lathers over and over. Slap the soap on your hand. You'll know when you get the consistency right as it will feel very slick between your fingers.

Spyder, Bama Samurai, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

@Caulin, welcome to The Shave Den, and congrats on your upcoming Mechanical Engineering degree! You've chosen a great profession. I'm a recently retired Chemical Engineer.

You have a very nice kit, and you've received some great advice so far. Please consider joining us on the 30 Day Rule/Focus. A new Rule/Focus begins each month, and you can join anytime. We're all there to improve our technique and generally have fun in the process. In the span of a month, your shaves will improve tremendously, and you'll get more consistent results.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Spyder, Caulin, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD! You have received some great advice so far, and you'll find the people here extremely helpful and friendly. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Spyder and RyX like this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Caulin

I hope you enjoy it here.
    Your kit is good, your attitude is great, all you need is time, technique, practice and patience. BEWARE however, after this experience, you may never want to use a cart again..:)

8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Welcome to TSD! My method of finding the angle is this: Place the top of the razor on your face with the handle straight out (90° from your face, parallel to the floor)). Then tilt the handle down just to the point you feel the blade. That's the angle you want. Hang in there it'll come!

HERM

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi nice to meet you.

In addition to the above advise, change the blade. Are you using the same blade?

I also had a terrible time shaving like your experience. I change my blade after 2 shaves.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

D) All of the above - really

Welcome to the Den!

Spyder, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Really do think about joining us for a 30 Day Rule. The guys there can help you with any single aspect you might have trouble with, and it is a fun place to hang out.

Welcome to The Den.

13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome! It gets better and better.

14. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder likes this.
  15. Nick N Cut

Nick N Cut New Member

Welcome

I found that preparation really helped me. I gotta get those whiskers soft. Maybe try a pre shave cream or oil after your prep is done and before lathering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spyder and Linuxguile like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

Spyder likes this.
  17. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Welcome. You're getting terrific advice.
    Enjoy your shaves.

Spyder likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Glad you have joined us. I would suggest two things. (1) Face lathering eliminates the need for a bowl and saves a little time while giving more time to the face. After you wash your face, simply load your brush and begin building your lather directly on your face. You will have enough for three passes if that is what you do. (2) Also, cold water shaving makes your beard stand up better for the shave and it soothes your skin. Just wash your face and do your shave with the water that comes out of the Cold water side of your spigot. I use hot water to clean my gear, but I use cold water for everything else. Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers
    zwelcome1.jpg

Spyder and George X like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

+3 and welcome @Caulin! You are primed and ready to develop good shaving habits. The 30 Day Rule/Focus Group is populated by old guys learning to use new-to-them tools & New Shavers that are still trying to figure out what the questions are. In your case losing the cartridge habits & using the same equipment for a month to it's best advantage before you start purchasing more gear. Plus there will be Shenanigans.

20. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shaving Den.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Spyder likes this.