Handles and Heads

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by COMPNOR, Jan 26, 2017.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

So on my journey down the rabbit hole of wet shaving, I've come across sites that sell just handles, with the heads optional. Or just the handle. I know that basically everything in this hobby comes down to what you prefer and what works for you, but I'm curious what others do.

Do you have a razor head for every handle, or do you buy the handles and just rotate the heads between them? Do you go for the fancy handles (stone, wood, brass, etc...), or find them to be gimmicky?

Thanks,

Jacob

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I only have a couple razors, so I have a handle for each head. However, I like Maggard's handles and would consider swapping a hollow handle with one of theirs. It would give it more weight.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Carbide Mike, waffen and RyX like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hey Jacob! Welcome to the shave den!! I have 14 razors in my rotation, all have handles. I don't switch handles around very much, once I find what works I keep it simple.

Carbide Mike and waffen like this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I can't speak for everyone, but I do have a few handles that are not stock. My main razor is the R41. It came with a great head, but a light handle, so I swapped it for a BRW Mastiff (I think) but the BRW is nickle and the R41 is chrome (I think) so the colors are off. I ended up with a handle from a Sabi T2 that looks and feels right.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

A lot comes down to personal choice and what makes a good "pairing". The weight of a handle, for instance, can change the perceived aggressiveness of the razor.

Carbide Mike, Eeyore, waffen and 2 others like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I only have complete razors. Just one for daily use, one for travel and a few collectibles.

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Complete razors for me too! I have only swapped handles a couple of times between razors in my den.

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have a bunch of razors, most of which have their own handle but I do have one handle that I use with several heads that I bought independently.

Heads Only:
    Ikon X3
    RR Mentor
    Gillette Old Type (the original handle was cracked and unusable)

9. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I've purchased handles and heads separately from Maggard's and switched them a bit to figure out what handle style I like (a little longer, a little heavier). Here is a combination that I like:
    IMG_1791.jpg

10. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I use the handles that my razors came with. I have six 3 piece razors - Blackbird, NEW LC & SC, Merkur (antique), Ball End Tech and Fat Handle Tech. Never saw the need for other handles.

Carbide Mike, waffen and clint64 like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have 3 after market handles that I use with many of my different razor heads. In fact it is a rare for me to use a handle that came with the razor. So for me, I will buy razor heads only to safe the money since I prefer my other handles.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

All my razors have the handle and head as they came original.
    I do swap the head of my Stahly to a Tech handle, either the ball end or the fat handle, depending on my mood, because I don't like the big, bulky handle original to the Stahly. I also see no benefit of the vibrating feature. After the shave, I swap all back to original.

Carbide Mike, waffen, RyX and 2 others like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have only one after-market handle, a Weber Bulldog. It is permanently attached to my Mühle R41. Otherwise, stock handles rule my den.

14. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

+1
    I think I nearly have a handle for every razor (all came with one), but I hardly ever use any of the original handles, the exception being Gillette ball end handles. In fact, that is one of the handles I like to rotate.

Carbide Mike, waffen and clint64 like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Preferring longer heavier handles I swapped a Fatip Picollo base onto the handle and cap of a Muhle R89 Grande. All the different imperial/metric threads make for my delay into the 3pc replacement handle market. There are many I'd like to own.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0097.JPG I've got four razors, only two have removable handles. My EJ DE89 and my Gillette NEW SC ca. 1932-1940. No desire to swap out handles. The one's they came with work just fine. But to each his own. Here's a pic of my NEW.

17. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the replies.

So do people typically find a head they like first, and then try and pair the handle (if they don't like the original), or do people find a handle that they like and then pair the head?

18. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Looks good and I have one of those nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike, clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

just ordered the razorock barber pole handle from italian barber to try on my 38-41 tech i just purchased,fun times ahead..

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    dicollete_lc.jpg
    One of my favorite heads is an English Gillette Milady Decollete razor. The handle was for a woman. I switch it out with a ball end tech or my long Utopia handle. It works better for me. I just love this LC head.
    lcnew_ballends.jpg
    lcnew_utopia.jpg