Merkur Furur Question...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DBart., Jan 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I've never understood why people say the Futur is slippery. Of the many adjectives that have run through my mind while shaving with it, 'slippery' was never one of them.

swarden43, Tdmsu and DesertTime like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a satin Futur and it is not slippery. It's an excellent razor but it is aggressive. You need to take care when adjusting or removing the blade. I cover the head with a towel when I remove the blade.

DesertTime and Tdmsu like this.
  3. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I used a Futur exclusively for six years. I never had a problem with it slipping from my hands.
    I prefer a larger, heavy razor, so the things I liked about it are what others complain about. The Progress and the new Parker Variant are also terrific adjustable razors, but nothing quite looks like a Futur. So if appearance is luring you to the Futur, go for it. You will not be disappointed with its shaves.

DBart. and BigMike like this.
  4. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Tossed my Futur in the trash after the threaded center post rotted and became unsafe, swore off any Zamak razor at that time. Never used it higher than "3"; didn't like the large, bulky head geometry; didn't like the weight or balance and especially didn't appreciate the $55 I paid as compared to $10-15 I could have paid for any real quality vintage razor.

Primotenore likes this.
  5. DesertTime

How long did you have your Futur?

6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

The Futur is my favorite De razor. I have the satin version and I have never found it slippery.
    I'm in the minority in that I use it on six. I like that the weight of the razor will do all the work, and the high setting has allowed me to delete one pass, so I have less irritation than I usually got with a less efficient razor.
    All the previous advice about starting on low settings is good. I did that, too.

Keithmax and DesertTime like this.
  7. DesertTime

Changing blades is the one thing I dislike about the razor. I sliced my thumb more than once.

Keithmax and DBart. like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've never covered the head, and I've never cut myself.
    I hand strop and move all my DE and SE blades from razor to razor every day, and I've never cut myself.
    Not saying that to brag, just saying if you pay attention...

Watch, tomorrow I'll cut myself!

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I also hand strop between shaves. Given my hand eye coordination and the early hour I shave I decided to be on the safe side.

10. Scott Chapin

Scott Chapin New Member

I love my matte finish Futur. It is not slippery and does real well at a setting of 3 for me. The heft is all I need for proper pressure and replicating that pressure on the underside of my chin works well.

I have the long handled Slant razor and love it too. Every other week I switch razors and don't know which I like better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertTime, DBart. and BigMike like this.
  11. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

OK.
    Bought one on Amazon. $55 delivered. I am impressed. It was the satin handle. Although feeling slick when dry, there was no slippage when wet. And I'll tell you one thing, 3 passes at 2.5 and I got a DANG close shave. It is a heavy razor. I like that. It is a different looking razor. I like that. With some care and patience, I got a grteat shave under my Roman nose! I like that! I think I like this razor. Thank you for all the feedback.

Scott Chapin likes this.