On the quest for the best Aftershave in the world!!!

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by The Wet Shaver Scholar, Feb 1, 2017.

1. We is the community.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"Best" in the world of aftershaves is so highly subjective that it's a losing proposition to try and make an actual determination. There are 'most popular' or 'top selling' lists that can be created, but neither determine a definitive 'best.'

PLANofMAN, RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I think you answered the question yourself in the first line of your post?

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sorry. It's Veg. You're Welcome! ;)

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It is a skin toner, and it tightens the skin. If you want to avoid having turkey-like wattles under your chin in your old age, use witch hazel.

I've spoken to a few old guys with surprisingly youthful looking faces when I've been out and about, and they didn't know why their skin was not "saggy." A few prompts in the right direction, and it turns out that the one thing they all had in common was regular use of witch hazel as an aftershave. They all thought I was nuts for shaving with safety razors, of course. :)

brit, MObigfoot, Bird Lives and 4 others like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team

RyX likes this.
  7. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

'The World's Most Interesting Man' just last night asked for advise on this very subject. Some men have been beaten down by misguided peer pressure and shrill voiced feminists to fear using scent as either emasculating or other sexual defect. We had the 'real men don't eat quiche' kneejerk conservative fleeing to man caves, drumming circles, tattoo parlours across from biker bars or the naval yard
    like a herd of stampeding steers spooked at lightning. A MAN need only follow one cardinal rule: NEVER ,EVER overpower your lady's own perfume.Needless to say, this also applies to dress. A brightly colored handkerchief ( pouchet, pocketsquare) is acceptable. A tussy mussie holding a boutonierre, railroad watch on chain, wrap around cufflinks are not; especially in combination. If you remember this use what YOU and SHE LIKES. You may wish to check it doesn't frighten horses on the street.
    He smiled and agreed to pick up the check. We had hot dogs at PINKS here in Los Angeles with two very tired and hungry looking street hookers named
    Blanche and Doris before givng them $20 and cab fare home with polite declines of service. We disarmed a liquor store robber with ju jitsu and walked on to our weekly rehearsal with the gamalen orchestra.
    Stay scented my friend.

ob1page, hamoncan, Demidog and 3 others like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The best aftershave in the world?
    Has to be...

:angelic013: ;)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'll stick with monkey gland injections.

MObigfoot and RyX like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Does it work better than bull shark testosterone?

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

They're about the same but nothing beats pygmy marmoset effluvia. Too bad the FDA outlawed it.

PLANofMAN and RyX like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Hey @The Wet Shaver Scholar ! I hope you haven't been offended by the collective ribbing you've received. You are suffering from attracting attention while being chronologically challenged. While you question is valid there is no right answer. Use that search box because the forum database is deep. Part of the issue for what you may perceive as mistreatment is that we can give opinions, advice, and even actual information. The final judgement will be made by your Significant Other & you face. Unfortunately there cannot be just one best aftershave for everyone.

13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    While I was at the Seattle Shave Convention, I had the opportunity to chat with the fine folks from Barrister & Mann. The earnest couple assured me that they had spent a very long time developing the base formula for B&M's products to provide the absolute best post shave skincare, and he challenged me to a 30 day trail. He guaranteed that my skin would look better using B&M than any other product after 30 days of use.

Make of that what you will.

I don't think I could stick with one brand of aftershave for more than 5 days in a row, so I never did the challenge. I will say that no other perfumer has done as excellent a job of re-creating the scents of long vanished aftershaves as B&M.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Until they find a way to make it sustainable and humane it was only right.

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I heard that nothing beats the blood, sweat, and tears of Guantanamo bay detainees.

But there's not enough of them left for a good soccer game, and that's about the only time you can collect it. :(

16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Muppet Hide Strops Q.E.D.
    Beaker's Eyes.png

Demidog, PLANofMAN and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

OK, thus thread has gone off the rails. I have no clue what any of you are talking about anymore.

@The Wet Shaver Scholar
    Pinaud clubman is perennially the best selling aftershave on most every online store. It is veryow priced, works great, and has a lot of scent options. Oh yeah....it lasts for a long, long time too.

If you want the absolute best overall aftershave, there is a company called Chatillon lux that is making waves. It is quite a bit pricier (though not prohibitively so), but it is simply fantastic. The scents are simply AMAZING. The toning properties are off the charts. I own it have used every major and well respected aftershave out there, and this may just top them all.

This is a very subjective subject, so YMMV

Demidog, RetLEO-07, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Okay. I'd never heard of this before, so I had to check them out. From their website:

"The Unconditional Surrender scent, released this fall by Chatillon Lux, is a warm, woody scent with some floral undertones to provide a rich, rewarding sensory experience inspired by Ulysses S. Grant’s time in St. Louis, where he pulled himself up by the bootstraps to ascend to commander of Abraham Lincoln’s army."

I'm having a bit of trouble reconciling 'woody floral' with 'recovering alcoholic.' :p

Demidog, cmorris357, IDuck and 5 others like this.
  19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Well...when you're right, you're right...
    Religiously apply witch hazel as first step of post shave, followed by my favorite after shaves....The after shave changes but the witch hazel is a constant....

My fav. Scented after shaves? If I had to pick a favorite.......
    Clubman....either original, special reserve or vanilla
    Aqua Velva....Musk first....Ice Blue second
    There are many for the third place...so I'll leave it like this...
    #1 witch hazel
    #2 a Clubman
    #3 an Aqua Velva

Demidog, MObigfoot, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Right Again!
    My Pop told me from the time I was very little...like 4 yrs old, watching him shave..."Always use witch hazel, it tghtens your skin and will keep you from getting chicken neck when you get old" Well, before he passed at 82, he had zero chicken neck..He had the neck of a 20 yr old....I should have listened...I use it now though...Maybe I can tighten up the chicken neck I have now...:rofl:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017