Ideas as to what this handle is

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fiatster, Jan 30, 2017.

1. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

This appears to be an Gillette old style comb with an odd handle. Any ideas to what it might be? open comb combo S.jpg

2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello, it is a mismatch handle. It comes from what many of us call a Crappy Brand Mystery Razor. They were cheap vending machine razors sold in Europe from the 1940's to 1980's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    They were also sold in the U.S.

Think of them as the vintage equivalent of the orange and white single blade disposable Bic razors.

I was offered one at an antique store for $15. I turned it down.

CarlfromMO and fiatster like this.
  4. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Hmmm...just as I suspected. Oh well, not a big loss. It came as a lot of 3 three piece razor package. the other 2 are the non-open comb razors in fair shape cosmedically and very good shape mechanically. I paid very little for the lot(I think around $8 + shipping so not too bad.
    Thanks for bearing with this noob to vintage razors with all these questions. Great group.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Doesn't mean it's going to give a terrible shave.
    Try it. Ya got nothin' to lose.

fiatster likes this.
  6. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Oh I certainly plan to. Actually, I wish it was the complete w/box one that Mormon Bridge has. I think it would be a great addition to a collection.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png zthumbsup.png

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Those pop up on eBay from time to time, and you ought to be able to pick one up for about $10. The biggest problem is that there is no identifying marks, so it makes it hard to sort it out from the other thousands of razors listed under "old safety razor with box."

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The one I had came with a steel handle. Can't remember how it shaved but I held onto the handle for a long time. Might still have it.

10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have a handle like that; it's not too bad as a spare to swap between heads. Mine has good weight to it.

11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I picked one up in a PIF. Nice to finally have a name for it.
    Yeah, it does. The name @Morman Bridge gave it is pretty descriptive...

12. swarden43

For the entire razor, okay.
    But Mike has just the handle. It's a Gillette head, so...

gwsmallwood likes this.
  13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

The handle is pretty easy to polish up, since it is aluminum.

14. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

So I guess mine is a Crappy Brand Mystery Frankenrazor.

15. swarden43

Depends. Do you want to emphasize the CBM handle, or the Gillette head?
    I'd call it a Gillette Mystery Frankenrazor.

Herm2502, CarlfromMO and MR41 like this.
  16. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

+1

Herm2502 likes this.
  17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

It still looks like a Gillette Old Type head, I see the logo. The handle doesn't affect the shave. The OT is a little aggressive, but a nice shave nonetheless.

HERM

18. swarden43

Slight disagreement - the handle can affect the shave. It plays a part in overall weight, and can change the center of gravity, which can affect how you hold the razor, which can affect the razor head-to-face angle it will put on the razor.

Not saying it WILL affect the shave, just saying it might. I know the original handle for my Stahly is too big and bulky for my liking. It affects my shave. That's why I put the Stahly head onto either a Ball End Tech handle or a Fat Handle Tech handle. I like the way they change the affect of the shave.

Screwtape and Drygulch like this.
  19. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Been a while since I've been on here, but this is why I come back :)
    1. I bought the EXACT same set up at an antique store for $10
    2. I too posted hear (years ago?) and got the same conclusion (we are a consistent bunch, not much for alternative facts)
    3. Personally I don't see the need to specify "Gillette" Frankenrazor...I just go with Frankenrazor, or Frankie for short as it's my only one (no plan to add these to my collection)
    4. I keep it in my travel kit, it's alleviated my fear of losing a treasured item travelling w/checked bags. Basically no tears would be shed if it disappeared.
    5. I really like shaving with it. It's comfortable and gives a good enough one pass shave when I'm in a rush in a hotel.
    6. It's a good beater to own. I toss it in my kit, toss it on the counter, tap it out in the sink.
    7. I take very good care of my collection, but if you don't own a "beater", I highly recommend you get one.

Screwtape likes this.
  20. swarden43

To point 3, it's his razor, he can call it what he likes. I was merely offering a suggestion :)