Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

IMG_1067.JPG

I'm not really sold on Kirsten pipes. I smoked one bowl in it, and although it's a very dry smoke there's a lot of internal surfaces to clean afterward. I know they say you can smoke several bowls, then dump the liquid out and only occasionally clean out the inside, but that doesn't appeal to me. I'm sure the new ones are better made, but I am not tempted to shell out $130 for a new one. Maybe if I smoked several bowls a day while working without the opportunity to clean the pipe between bowls I would have a different opinion.

trey06dmd, Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  2. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I enjoy Latakia, but the Dark Fired Kentucky is a whole different animal! The tin note is similar to the smokiness of Lat, but the taste is, IMO, completely different. I find that if dried almost to crispy, this blend really opens up. One of my favorites, for sure.

3. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    2011 McC #24 in Dan S hand made Cayuga with deer antler

ob1page, Bobcat, trey06dmd and 5 others like this.
  4. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

I've read that the creator was an Aircraft Engineer at Boeing and that he created it when he was told he couldn't smoke in the office anymore. So he designed it to trap all the tars and such so they would still let him. I'd love to try one; but I also am less than willing to dole out the cash required for a new one. lol

ob1page, AGHisBBS, trey06dmd and 2 others like this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

The only blend I have tried with Dark Fired (that I can remember) is Newminister Superior Round. Like so many other tobaccos, I'm sure taste depends on the overall components and how they are blended. In NSR, the aroma is definitely akin to Latakia. It has a somewhat smoky flavor but certainly different than Latakia. It strikes me as a blend Latakia lovers would like, and also one that those who aren't wild about Latakia would enjoy (like me, and I do like it). My son, who likes Latakia, smelled the jar and said "it definitely has Latakia in it."

ob1page, trey06dmd, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Dark Fired is Burley. N bomb, just fyi. There's a lot of it in Jack Knife Plug.

trey06dmd, RyX and Erik Redd like this.
  7. Erik Redd

It's been awhile, but I liked the Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. I've got a tin of it I'm tempted to open soon.
    If I could inspect a new one and see the quality of workmanship I might be tempted to get one, but they seem pretty uncommon so that's not likely. I checked the Kirsten website, and they can be ordered direct for a bit cheaper, but it seems like a pain. They claim in Washington state you need to submit proof of age before ordering "tobacco products", so you have to open an account and submit a signed affidavit with a copy of your ID before you can orser anything. That definitely keeps down the impulse buys after a few beers, so I should probably be grateful.

ob1page, trey06dmd and RyX like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Yes, I was aware of that, but for whatever reason, Newminister Superior Round doesn't bother me. I bought a couple of ounces at the Briary to try, and between the N not bothering me and liking the taste, I subsequently bought a half pound.

Bama Samurai, Erik Redd and trey06dmd like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

jumpingthroughhoops.gif

10. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Actually 2nd pipe today. Baki 320 Meer with Elizabethan Mixture. Only 2nd bowl in pipe, gonna take some time to color this puppy. Smokes fantastic!
    [​IMG]

11. Erik Redd

12. Mr. Shavely

Mr. Shavely Member

K I'll be straight guys. What's the best pipe rig setup I can get for <$20us including tobacco and hopefully a pipe tool. Am I limited to a corn cob and captain black or Can I make something better work for the price? Hopefully buying locally not ordering online or am I being ignorant and a Walgreens corncob and a local tobacconist blend tobacco?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, trey06dmd, ob1page and 3 others like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nothing wrong with a cob. I started with a $2.49 and local shop bulk. Helped me to get away from $6/day Marlboro habit. Try antique / thrift stores for estate pipes.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

trey06dmd, ob1page and BamaT like this.
  14. Erik Redd

A lot of this depends on where you are. I have very limited availability near to me, so all my purchases are online.

trey06dmd and BamaT like this.
  15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Many people like cobs just fine, and smoke them almost exclusively! Personally, while I have several cobs and smoke them off and on, I prefer briar to a cob; for me, that boils down to smoking quality, as well as aesthetics. If limited to less than $20 for a setup, @RyX had a good suggestion in looking for estate pipes, but they will need to be properly cleaned/sanitized. I would look at Missouri Meerschaum, http://corncobpipe.com/smokingpipes.html?p=2, and consider one of their hardwood or maple pipes. They start for around $5 to $7 and go up to around $14. Only buy Missouri Meerschaum cobs if you go the cob route. If you have a local pipe shop, they will probably have some "basket" or "counter" pipes, usually seconds with some imperfection that may or may not affect smoking qualities. But that's how countless pipe smokers start!

As far as a pipe tool, the only thing you need is a tamp, and cleaners. Tamps can be purchased, but you can use a variety of items for a tamp, such as a fired rifle case, you can whittle one from an oak branch, or even a hex head bolt or roofing nail! As far as tobacco, local options will most likely be limited to some aromatics, and possibly a semi-aromatic such as the classics Prince Albert or Carter Hall. Many people smoke either aromatics or Prince Albert or Carter Hall all their lives, and are quite content. Buying local, I would recommend PA or CH.

I hope this helps. There are a number of knowledgeable people here that will be glad to answer any questions about pipe smoking, and helping someone get started!

AGHisBBS, trey06dmd, dbersh and 3 others like this.
  16. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Paul's Morning Smoke...
    [​IMG]

BamaT, ob1page, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  17. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

The Galcon was first bowl earlier, now smoking some 2014 Dunhill 965 in my Baki
    [​IMG]

18. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

This^^. Carter Hall or Prince Albert in a cob is a good, simple, hassle free smoke (after you break in the cob). It's my go to setup when littering in garage or Yardwork. You can also use a golf tee for a tamper.
    Breaking in a cob my advice is when you start to taste wood (the shank is wood and burns) out the pipe down. Let it burn itself out. After a few smokes the bottom of the pipe will be burned in and the taste of wood will go away.

19. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Last smoke before I have things to do, 2007 ERR in a RobE prince style with titanium band, my best smoker the Baki is a close 2nd. [​IMG]

BamaT, ob1page, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  20. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Missouri Meerschaum Huck Finn, a cheap tool of your choice, and a couple bulks that either sound good to you or come highly recommended. The Huck Finn is inexpensive, unfiltered, and a good smoker. Waiting for some good weather so I can get out for a pipe.

Bama Samurai, BamaT, ob1page and 3 others like this.