Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

2. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

I used to dabble in pipe smoking but that was a long time ago. I remember liking it and I recently had a discussion with a friend that I have not seen in a long time. It was great to see him and since he is living in my same area again we will be able to see each other more. As we talked the subject of pipe smoking came up and I found out he has been really enjoying it and asked if I have ever tried. I told him about the past and he thought I would like it since I smoke cigars from time to time. I told him I was interested and he presented me with a gift. I don't know much about pipes but I like it.
    It is a Rossi but I have found out they are made by Savinelli. I only smoke a partial fill with it today but is sure smoked great!

I look forward to reading more in this thread and learning from you guys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attached Files:

dustmite, Lo'Gosh, ob1page and 7 others like this.
  3. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Welcome to the new rabbit hole.

Billr, ob1page, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome Bill @Billr . I enjoy a Rossi pipe often. Mine's a rusticated Prince. What kind of 'baccy did you load today?

Billr, ob1page, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  5. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

1st pipe was a DGE custom Twain Cob with Maple shank and OJK. 2nd pipe was a special blend in my Baki 320 Meer. Now smoking the last of a sample of 1993 McC 5100 in my Service Merchant Bing
    [​IMG]

Lo'Gosh, BamaT, ob1page and 5 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Picked up an estate pipe this morning. Looking forward to getting home from the jobsite so I can clean it up. [​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

7. Erik Redd

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

So it appears I tripped over a K&P Petersons Army mount. The Stirling band polished up easily.
    Peterson ploished band.gif
    Markings indicate a K&P Peterson System Standard 314. No Hallmarks on the silver, or country of origin. My googling hasn't produced a photo of the smooth divot texture. I'm assuming it's briar.

The bowl will be my first to attempt removing cake. A fair amount of glaze inside the shank. Everclear and sea salt? Then there's the greenish oxidized Vulcanite stem - I'm reading up on that. Some folks suggest a bleach solution soak, or Mr.Clean Magic Eraser pads.
    Gonna be sure before I do any damage to my twenty dollar pipe.

If anyone has experience at this feel free to offer suggestions!

AGHisBBS, Bobcat, trey06dmd and 5 others like this.
  9. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

It is called Treasure Island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trey06dmd and RyX like this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I might think about some bristle cleaners and Everclear for the shank interior. For the stem, I have had success using a paste made of baking soda and water. You can use your fingers, paper towel, or a rag to scrub the stem. In no time at all your fingers or whatever will be black from the oxidation removed. You will need to repeat this a couple of times rinsing in between, maybe more based on how oxidized it looks in the pic. When I've used this in the past, once finished with the baking soda treatment I let the stem dry, and then rub a little olive oil into it, and then wipe dry. This process has worked well for me. I'm not wild about the bleach treatment; it may work well, but scrubbing with a baking soda paste is a fairly conservative approach that does work, albeit it with a bit of work.

11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Welcome to the pipe thread! Congrats on the Rossi. We have a number of experienced pipers here, please don't hesitate to ask questions. What tobacco did you smoke in it?

Bama Samurai, trey06dmd and Erik Redd like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Breakfast = coffee.
    Lunch = Mtn Dew.
    So after I finished my supper...

KIMG0607.gif
    ... I stopped at Wally World. Dry goods they had. Had to go to the second liquor store to find liquid cleaning solution. Trifecta!

KIMG0610.gif

Bowl is on soaking, I'm rubbing the stem.

13. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

John Bull in a MM maple wood Ozark with a hot cup of hazelnut cappuccino while I build some MTG decks. =)

ob1page, AGHisBBS, dbersh and 3 others like this.
  14. Erik Redd

Oxyclean and micromesh pads work well. You might want to read this thread.

ob1page, dbersh, RyX and 2 others like this.
  15. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Baking soda rub is good. I've heard good things about Tom's of Maine whitening or baking soda toothpaste. Magic Eraser is fantastic if you're struggling with it, and may help with mild tooth chatter. Bleach is a desperation move, it works and works well, but it can soften the vulcanite and it will probably require a lot of polishing after.

ob1page, RyX and BamaT like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

That sounds nasty:signs068:

BamaT, ob1page and RyX like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm not a fan of rhubarb, celery, or any vegetable of that type.

Erik, should there have been a link in your post?

I rubbed the baking soda paste until my fingers hurt with just the smallest satisfaction. I could see where the mild abrasiveness was beginning to reveal original black color under the green oxidation. Being no stranger to grit I stepped up my game. First a well broken in Scotch pad, then a slightly newer one. Finally I switched to a new pad - that worked well.
    Here is the stem for the K&P and the Schowa I picked up a couple weeks ago. Both were scrubbed with Dawn & a new pad, dried, and 2 coats of olive oil. I'm happy with the results.
    Vulcanite restore.gif

18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I got this pipe and lighter a few weeks ago. It was my wife's godfathers. I know nothing about it. By the way I have not smoked a pipe before.
    Tom
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaT, ob1page, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Danish Sport? Besides being cool for the Heirloom factor, I think the style is called "Canadian". Chris @Bama Samurai has at least one similar style, different brand. It is briar so you have that going for you! The lighter looks WWII era. Takes Zippo fluid? The down side is it would make your tobacco taste like Zippo fluid, unless you like that. Then double Heirloom Bonus Points!

ob1page and twhite like this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

When I get around to testing it out, I will be using wood matches. The lighter is manufactured by GEM. Thought it was cool.

ob1page and RyX like this.