Williams shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by cjw, Feb 6, 2017.

1. cjw

cjw Active Member

I have probably 30 shave soaps in my rotation. Always throw in Williams a few times a month. Think I still have some Arko. Got into using Williams 30 years ago because it was easy to find for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PanChango likes this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Like many others, I have bought a case of Arko for dirt cheap. Arko out performs Williams, without a doubt!

I like to slice the Arko in quarters to line an uncovered shave mug.

PanChango likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Oh, I hear ya. Some things in life are worth the extra work and effort.
    Dogs, for example. I love dogs. But I know a lot of folks who won't own one because of all the work involved - walking, feeding, cleaning up after them, vet trips...

And although I don't personally like Williams, and I do berate it, it's tongue in cheek as I sincerely believe - It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

4. cjw

cjw Active Member

I know what you mean I have 4 dogs. Here's my puppy.[​IMG]

John Beeman, Paul Turner, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

cjw, tough guy, eh?

I happen to like foofoo scents in my shaving soaps. I like the smell of Williams, too, though. Not a big fan of the lather.

I have a puck of vintage Williams that I'll use soon. That stuff lathers great. No scent left, though.

RyX likes this.
  6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

The stuff's s a bit to lather and I get some facial irritation afterwards but by God, it not foofy..:git:

7. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I get the best results with Williams building the lather on my face. Many say soak the puck and use lots of water but I find that a normal amount of water in the brush and 15-20 seconds of brisk churning on the puck gives me just the right amount of soap in my brush to build a decent lather on my face. One or two recharges might be necessary to finish off the shave but that's OK, more time to play with my brush.

8. cjw

cjw Active Member

Yea I've never had a problem with it. To each his own. If someone doesn't like it don't use it. I've been using it for years.

9. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Add a little Cremo to Williams...slickens it up, lather lasts longer, and it's a creamier lather to boot.

Jayaruh, RyX and SpeedyPC like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've got what's left of a stick of vintage Williams. Good stuff!

I haven't tried this with New Williams, but it's great with vintage. I should get a puck of the current run. It's available locally (70601) and the price is right.

11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

All this renewed talk of Williams makes me want to use mine again soon! I've got current product Williams. $1 for a 1.75 oz puck. I grated and pressed it into a container and hydrated it along the way. I broke it out last night and noticed that most of the strong citronella scent has faded. It is certainly slick but I wish the lather would last like a normal shave soap.

12. smittywerbenmanjensen

smittywerbenmanjensen Active Member

I was shopping in Wegmans today and passed the shaving aisle. I came upon several boxes of Williams. It was inexpensive enough. Perhaps I'll try it. Right now I have too many soaps to be used up.

Paul Turner likes this.
  13. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

One puck of Williams Mug Soap won't kill you during you're rotation no matter how many soaps you've got because there always room for one more soap.

RetLEO-07, dustmite and RyX like this.
  14. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Many years ago when I was in college, I shaved with SEs and DEs. I decided to quit the canned goo and try a mug and brush. I had my barber get me a mug and brush and purchased Williams at the drug store. I had such bad luck with them, thanks to Williams, that I stayed with goo until I found 'The Shave Den".

Thanks to the internet we have shaving forums and it's easy to find a huge variety of product choices.

RyX and swarden43 like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The various opinions here and on most shaving fora are because there are three (3) different formulas on the market (and after-market). The original formula first ingredient is: Tallow. I use this version and have 4-5 back ups that I acquired from the famous auction site (at, what I consider, a reasonable price). My lather is thick, rich, protective, slick AND stable. It ranks as one the BEST soaps in my den. The scent is pretty much non-existent; it might as well be "unscented". In my opinion, it's worth a search. Second iteration of the formula starts with: Sodium Tallowate. This formula does work and can create a good lather. Not as good, but imo, still useable. Third and last formula is what most shavers hate the most and it starts with Potassium Stearate. It's what you will find in the stores (if you can) and I will not use this soap. The lather is sub-par and I wouldn't waste my money on it. In conclusion, if you enjoy searching for and using vintage shave products, it would be worth your while to look for a puck of the vintage Williams with TALLOW as the first ingredient. Also, if there is NO ingredient list, as was the case before laws required it, it is the TALLOW version. Hope this helps a bit.

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Short follow-up:
    Hera are two pictures of the first two iterations of Williams.
    The first, from my stash. Notice the #1 Ingredient
    IMG_9684.JPG
    Second, a blurry picture from Ebay, not my picture:
    Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 10.30.27.png
    The last, of which I do not have a picture, lists Potassium Stearate as the FIRST ingredient.

17. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I've used both the old and new formulations of Williams with no problems. I do like the older versions better but find it easy enough to lather the new formulations as well. Just keep the puck hydrated, use it often and it works well for me anyway.

Maybe using a synthetic brush helps too. I get good lathers with boar/badger but get killer good lather with a synthetic.

18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Lathering as a concept is pretty simple. I also consider myself smarter than a puck of soap, so getting a decent lather out of it isn't the issue.

At its absolute best, modern Williams does not make it into either of my top two tiers for scent or performance, so I will not use it if there is an option.

I guess I am fully willing to admit that I enjoy "foo foo" scents. Hope that doesn't disappoint anyone's ideal of masculinity.

[​IMG]

RetLEO-07 and RyX like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My "den" would have something to say about that(unless I shove it in the lower section).

SpeedyPC likes this.
  20. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I was looking through my magic shoe box of soaps and spied a blue and white box in the corner. I pulled that little puck out and dropped it in a container on Saturday night and covered it with water. Face and head shave on Sunday, almost disappearing lather, face shave this morning, just a little more stable of lather. Keeping it wet for a while to see if it ever hydrates enough to make a paste I can pick up with the brush. I'm only face lathering with it after some pretty intense brush loading.

PLAla likes this.