Simpson Commodore X3 or Duke 3

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Derhey, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Looking for feedback/opinions...I want to purchase my first Simpson brush. I predominantly am a bowl latherer but am looking for a dense brush with some firmness to it. I like really soft tips and don't want too much scritch. A little flop is ok but I am not looking for a paintbrush. I have narrowed my choices down to the Commodore X3 and Duke 3 based price and size of knot (I really like the 24mm size). I know there are other reviews and comparisons but I also know that Simpson was sold a few years back so I am asking for feedback based on recent productions. I appreciate your input!

2. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I loved my Duke 3 in best but it was a bit on the scritchy side. If you can swing it, the better grade hair makes a world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Thank you for the input. I will check out the price differences.

4. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I most recently bought a Duke 3 in Best Badger. I like a heck of a lot of brushes in general Boar, badger and synthetic. But this Simpson brush is by far the nicest I have ever used. About perfect And, right out of the box. First use-- one hair shed and afterwards no more. The size the handle the density the lather producing ability could not be better in any other brush I have ever assembled or put together or purchased. It feels luxurious! I have over 50 brushes. I think I have a good feel for lathering and shaving brushes? This Duke 3 in Best Badger may knock all of the other brushes I've tried---- out of the park??? For safety I say of course IMHO!!!

5. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Thanks Oldjoe! You made me feel very confident in my purchase. I am very excited to receive my order.

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a Duke 3 in best and it is wonderful brush, unlike other reports mine does not have any scritch.

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Mine either.

wristwatchb and Derhey like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think you will find the Duke a little denser with more backbone than the Commodore. Both are great brushes.

wristwatchb and Derhey like this.
  9. llalm

llalm New Member

I own a D3 in manchurian and it's my favorite medium size brush.