Linuxguile's blade log

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Linuxguile, Feb 23, 2016.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Same here.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The Treet Platinum gave me 3 great shaves and one that was a little rough. Time to move on:
    upload_2016-6-30_9-35-35.png
    #20 the Wilkinson sword classic (Germany)
    [​IMG]

gorgo2, Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I think I will match your choice today, Wilkinson in a shavette to how it goes in SR configuration versus DE geometry.

Linuxguile and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Since my last posting I have tried the Dorco ST-300 as part of Neal's Blade Trials. I found them to be a very smooth blade but left me wanting in the sharpness department. So now I will pick a new blade for my next run.
    upload_2016-7-18_13-58-18.png

#4 Baili Platinum (Green)
    [​IMG]

Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Linuxguile

The Baili was a flop(Baili flop! :happy102:). On to the next blade:
    upload_2016-7-20_11-45-35.png
    #17 Super-Max Titanium
    [​IMG]

Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I think I have some of those, if so, I will use one in a shavette today.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I enjoy your blade review. GSB a definite top choice for me along with the Bolzano Superinox. I had a couple really good shaves with the
    SuperMax titanium but not three. Just didn't last for me.

8. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Digging up this old thread, because I didn't want to create another one with basically the same info/question.

I'm a die-hard user and lover of my Astra SPs. I've used the Rapira Platinum Lux as well with some great results. Could anyone else suggest a blade that comparable to those two? I'm not so much a fan of the scalpel sharpness as I am with the smoothness. Astra and Rapira both have the smoothness and comfort down-pat. :)

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinums (black packaging) felt 100% identical to the Astra SP for me. Treet Platinums were virtually the same too. Personna blue was pretty close but not as smooth.

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I do like my Polsilver SI, Astra SP, and Voskhods - they were my top three coming out of a 30 blade test. However I find Ladas (Russian made) work great in all my razors (Merkur 34c, Muhle R89, Edwin Jagger Chatsworth and a G1 Fatboy). They are inexpensive and I would, say give me as good (very close and smooth) a shave as the Astra SP. Go to the "Try A Blade" website (http://www.tryablade.com) and order just one or two blades of a few other brands and try them out. Remember we all have to find our own combination of blade and razor - seldom will we all agree on any set answer - if ever.
    Ladas.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Voskhod! Nuff said.

Linuxguile and Demidog like this.
  12. Linuxguile

The Gillette platinum, 7 O'clock Super Stainless, 7 O'clock Super Platinum, GSB, are all top tier blades to me.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Demidog likes this.
  13. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Linux try Dorco 301, with all the blades you like, we like pretty much the same ones, this blade is very nice

Linuxguile likes this.
  14. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Linux how is that RazorRock mission? I have the RazorRock old fashion open comb

15. brit

brit in a box

astra sp,gsb,voskhods for me.i only buy 100 packs.the others i sell cheap to my buddies so they are happy too.win win.

16. Linuxguile

I have the 301s and the Prime Platinum. I like the Prime a little better but both are great blades. They don't make it into my top 5 though.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. Linuxguile

It was a tiny bit more aggressive then the Merkur 34c. Probably a lot like an EJ89. I'm liking more aggressive razors now, and open combs.

waffen likes this.