Getting A Better Shave With A Catridge

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by chasro, Sep 17, 2008.

1. chasro

chasro Member

I'm not ready to give up my Quattro, but I do want a better shave. (Yes, I realize to some of you that might sound like an oxymoron.)

So, how do I go about doing so? I'm presuming a good brush will make a difference, correct?

I'll work on figuring out my grain.

What other tips can you all provide.

Thanks.

2. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

A brush and some decent shaving soap or cream is a good start, but you really need to ditch the multi-blade face shredders. The "lift and cut" method that multi-blade cartridges employ cause tons of irritation and ingrown hairs. A single blade DE razor will provide a smooth shave without the irritation or ingrowns.

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I have to disagree. I really don't understand where that theory comes from. I shaved with an M3 or similar, for years. Never had any irritation or ingrowns. When I started DE shaving, I had nothing BUT irritation. By the time I finally figured it out, I was on the verge of going back to the M3. I get just as good a shave, but it's so...plastic! I enjoy a DE shave much more than an M3, but I find little difference in the end result.

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Certainly a YMMV kind of thing. Until I switched to a DE, I was not aware of how many problems multi-blade cartridge razors were causing me (other than they hurt my face like Hell). My skin texture has improved so much since the transition, I can hardly believe it.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

The way I look it is that with the M3 and quatro, respectively, you do 3 and 4 passes per stroke. I can only go 3-4 passes with a DE before I get irritation. There is no reason to go more than 3-4 passes with a DE to get a BBS shave. One pass with a m3 gave me a little bit of irritation, but not too much. Anything more than that just got worse and worse. I rather do multiple passes with a DE and get a great shave than one pass with a m3 and get an OK shave. To answer your question about getting a better shave... you can get a better shave without switching to a DE. You will eventually buy a DE though.

First: Read the posts about pre shave technique. Shower and soak your wiskers before shaving to soften them up.

Buy a brush and some nice cream. maybe some english cream or some of the forums own creams (theyre great) and made locally.

Once done shaving, rinse your face with cold water to close the poors and pull the hair back in. Than use a nice after shave of your your choice. There are hundreds of posts on pre shave, shave, and aftershave technique. I would suggest reading them.

6. 019

019 New Member

Definitely a YMMV type of thing. I had never had ANY problem with shaving using an M3 or a Quattro. I was just looking for a better shave as chasro is and stumbled upon wet shaving. Using a DE definitely has given me better shaves and helped my skin look better though :) I have to go back to using a cartridge when I travel since I can't bring my DE blades on the plane and although the shaves are pretty good, they are nowhere as satisfying as a DE

7. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I could never shave every day with a cartridge,but I can with a d/e or s/e razor,or even my Roll's.Cartridge razors invite severe irritation on this face:sick007,no matter what prep I use.They have been relegated to emergency use only.:D

8. Hi there chasro,
    Smart of you to look for other shaving options, and using a brush with shaving soap/cream will make a big difference........even with a cartridge system. A well prepared lather, combined with it being properly applied ( that's where the brush comes in), should result in a more pleasurable experience.
    No need to switch to a DE unless you're willing to make a commitment...otherwise don't bother. The idea is to enjoy your daily shave, no matter what's used, and a nice smelling and slippery lather will only do you some good. A quality badger brush can be had for under $50, and a boar brush (which some members like) will run lots less.
    If, at some time in the future you care to try a DE, then you'll already have that variable (proper lather) down pat. Until then (if ever), I might suggest another cartridge system to look at. That would be the Gillette Sensor, which is a two blade system. The regular one (without the lube strip) can be very effective, and is popular with some others here. I've also heard very good things about the Atra as well.
    Bottom line is to enjoy the shave using whatever method suits you at the time. Who cares if you use a cartridge, as long as it's successful. Hehehehe, that saving money thingy using a DE is somewhat 'over rated' (as in totally untrue). You will probably more than compensate for the inexpensive blades by purchasing other items......that's for sure.
    Hope that helps in some way, and good luck on your shaving journey,
    Martin

9. chasro

chasro Member

What would be the advantage of the Sensor over the "more advanced" cartridges, other than the obvious difference in cost? (I've spent so much time working up the technological line, that I've long since forgotten what it's like to shave with a Sensor...)

10. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

less blades = less irritation. Its also cheaper. You'd get just as good a shave with a single blade bic disposable and good preperation as you would with a multiblade razor.

11. chasro

chasro Member

Last time I used a bic, I nearly bled to death...lol

Ok, I'm exaggerating, but I did have several small cuts. Granted, I also borrowed a can of barbersol from a co-worker, so that should be factored in. But, I'm guessing technique is also a factor.

I don't feel like my face is being irritated from the quattro, but I've used it for a long time. Are you saying that with fewer blades and less pressure, my face should feel better and I will still get a closer shave?

12. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

A brush with a soap and cream or combination of both significantly improves the cartridge shave.

13. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

If you try to get a close shave from a cartridge like you can get from a single blade (whether it is a single edge, double edge, or straight razor) then your face WILL suffer. But you didn't say you wanted a close shave, you just want a better one :)

If you just want a better shave, I suggest using better lubricant, better beard softening ideas, and as long as you'll only be making one pass mostly with the grain then stretch your skin where it tends to fold up.

14. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Ok, that does it. Tomorrow morning, I'm putting a fresh M3 cart in the razor and giving it a go. Whatever brush/cream/soap strikes my fancy at the time. I know that YMMV, but will almost guarantee that I will get a shave rivaling this morning's DE, probably with fewer passes and with no irritation. AND...first pass (also the second if a second is even needed) will be ATG. Been starting ATG lately with the DE anyway...saves time.

I won't enjoy it, but I will get BBS in 10 minutes. The worst part is...I will only need to lather up ONCE! Stay tuned. :D

15. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Michael is a masochist. When, not if, he comes back with lies about getting a great close & comfortable first pass against the grain with his multi bladed torture device, do NOT listen to him!

Michael, don't fool yourself! Stay in the light, son! :cool:

16. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

:happy102 :happy102

17. Hi there,
    You know what the word 'verbose' means? Hehe, this post may take a few paragraphs, but I'll try to give you my (partial) opinion on using a Sensor over what you have now. Keep in mind I never used a Quattro or fusion, but instead shaved with a Mach3 for many years. I've also in the past, used a sensor for 4-5 months.
    The M3 gave me good shaves with no irritation. My prep consisted of splashing hot water on my face a few times, and then glopping on the old Gillette Foamy. I'd lather twice, did multiple passes each time I lathered, and was done in well under 3 minutes. I wasn't looking for a new shaving cartridge, since I was satisfied with what I was using. I'll skip the details as to why I ended up this way, but will instead talk about the sensor.
    First of all, I found with the M3 I couldn't actually see what I was shaving. The cartridge was so damn big that it always seemed like there was a blind spot. The sight line (or lack of it) DID bother me, but I put up with it.
    I also didn't care for the handle very much.......... has that weird angle to it which never seemed quite right, although I got used to it. Other than those two things it was fine........the shave was good and quick.
    The sensor solved those two issues, plus gave me an even better shave. I could see EXACTLY where I was shaving, since the cartridge is so much smaller, and that was great! The way the handle's gripped, and the relationship between that and the blade makes much more sense to me...........feels more 'normal'. What a pleasant change that cartridge was over the M3.
    And, I got a closer shave with that thing. Mostly though it was more enjoyable to use in general. Cost is a bit less, but not all that much.
    There, that's the short answer to your question. If you're bored with the Quattro, or looking for other options, the sensor's a possibility. The thing is, there's some bad news to go along with this cartridge.
    Yeah, with this set up, you have to pay attention to what you're doing. Those blades are pretty sharp, and they will do a nice job of whisker whacking, but you will suffer if you don't concentrate. There's a short learning curve to it, but nothing major. Lot's easier learning how the sensor works as compared to an injector. Those are excellent, but those DO have a learning curve to em.
    Anyway, these are just my experiences, and may or may not work the same for you.
    I hope that answers your question,
    Martin

Or.........take a look at that thread titled 'Favorite cartridge' for more info. I haven't looked through that, but it should probably help you out more than this rambling thing.

18. ktulu64

ktulu64 New Member

I have found a few cartridges that do an admirable job, but I still prefer the DE. Sensor and Trac II wok well for me. The so called lift and cut does not seem to be too aggressive for me and actually do not cause irritation. Also, I beleive that the quality control and actual sharpness are better. As always, YMMV.

19. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

I pretty much do everything everyone here talks about in relation to "wet shaving" except, I use the Atra.

I even do 3 passes.

I just take it easy, and apply similar techniques, in that I'm careful about the grain of my beard and I let the weight of the razor do the work.

I always prep and really work the soap or cream into my face..

I get a few ingrowns here and there, but I have *really* curly hair, I can't imagine going from 2 to 1 blade would make that much of a difference.

Why mess with a good thing?

20. chasro

chasro Member

Heh...I can never tell where my sideburns end with the quattro, always a guessing game.

After reading all of the posts, it sounds like technique is a big deal, even if I just downsize the cartridge.

I also realize the importance of prep. Bought a C&E Best Badger Brush during lunch today and will try it out over the weekend. But after I get the lather down, I might try downsizing my razor.

Never gave much thought to razors before, except for shifting to Schick because I blamed Gillette for the escalation in razor prices. But perhaps I should at least try a different one and see.

I've got dark hair, and I always feel like the 5 o'clock shadow is ready to resurface by mid-day, hence the reason for even figuring out how to shave better.