Coming Home

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Jayaruh, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    On this date, March 5, in 1969, I got on a jetliner and took off from Tan Son Nhat Airport, Siagon, South Vietnam. I was 21 and finally heading home after a year of service at the 93rd Evacuation Hospital in Long Binh. So, here's to all our sons and daughters serving abroad. May they all get home safely, and may we never forget the final sacrifice of those who don't.
    http://jayaruh.blogspot.com/p/jayaruh-goes-to-vietnam.html

2. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

Thanks for your service. I'm a proud son of a Vietnam Vet.

My dad

[​IMG]

An article I found amongst pictures given to me by a family member.

[​IMG]

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

3. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice. I did my basic at Fort Polk, too. Is your Dad still living?
    [​IMG]
    Fort Polk me.

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

That was a great story Jim, thank you for the telling. Thank you for the service you gave.

5. Kenneth Sampson

Yup. He is currently retired and in the pan handle of Florida with my mom playing as much golf as he can. Be will be back in Maryland for the summer in May. They live out of 1 of 2 campers they own for traveling.

6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That is cool. I am glad to hear he is still with your mom, too. So many Vets' marriages ended in divorce. My youngest son is about your age. He is 36. We are proud of all three of our boys.

7. Kenneth Sampson

My parents were both married prior to meeting each other. Doctors told dad he wouldn't be able to have kids due to stuff in Vietnam he came in contact with, and then surprise I came almost 35 years ago. He's basically my best friend we still do everything together. From home improvement to fishing to cussing on a golf course. Lol

8. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I trained as an Army National Guard combat engineer in 1966. I was ready to be called-up so many times, but it never happened. We last 55,000 fine young men in Viet Nam. Both Nam and Iraq wars were debatable, on being valid. Let's learn from them. When ever we get another war let's study it and then go to our House and Senate members and give our opinion.

I salute all who served in those wars.

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome Home Jim. Just heard from my son. They're back at the main post at Ft. Irwin after being in the field. Had his first hot shower in 22 days.

10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Welcome home Jim!
    Thank you for your service and a great blog.

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thank you Jim. Such a wonderful blog post you have.
    The John Wayne picture and autograph is so cool! I loved everything about your story.
    Never forget.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Jim, thank you for your service !

:thanks:

wristwatchb and Jayaruh like this.
  13. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I am grateful for all who went ahead of me. Two of the senior NCOs in my first unit served in Vietnam. I learned a great deal from them.

Sent via mobile - Chris

wristwatchb and Jayaruh like this.