Have the ladies in your lives converted from cart shaving?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by SharptoothC, Mar 3, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics.

SharptoothC and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I am pretty sure it hurt.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    SharptoothC likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's my Lady's favorite, too. I've offered her samples of every new soap I get. She's under the impression that she should use one until it's done. I haven't been able to enable convince her many soaps offer variety.

Keithmax, SharptoothC and twhite like this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My wife is distinctly European, and believes in a natural look. Once in a while she gets her legs waxed, so she doesn't want to fuss with a razor. And I am not trying to convert her ;)

I believe that body hair removal has always been less popular in (parts of) Europe than in some other parts of the world. Might be different with the younger generations though.

RyX likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

My wife got curious about my DE razors, a few years ago, but refused to use them. That is, until I refused to buy her anymore cartridge refills. She said she would buy her own. That lasted only one shopping trip, when she saw the prices. Now, about 3 years of DE razors later, she loves her Gillette Starburst. She always says she will never go back to carts. She even tries to convince her friends to try DE razors.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The hubby & I made the switch together. We both use DE's.

7. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

One day I showed my daughter (14 at the time) the basic concept of straight razor shaving. She took to it like a duck to water and has used a straight for the last 2 years. Me? I am just learning straights.

Keithmax likes this.
  8. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

My wife tried DE shaving a few years ago, and decided it wasn't for her. She will occasionally ask me to make up a lather for her, or use what's left of mine if she happens to be ready to shave as I'm wrapping up, but says it's too much work to do it herself...

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Hide all the canned goo, and see how motivated she becomes, at lathering.

dustmite likes this.
  10. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Not gonna happen.

11. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Wouldn't work. She uses soap or conditioner if she runs out. She doesn't complain TOO much about my obsession, so I just let her be...

DaltonGang likes this.
  12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I bought my wife a couple different "Lady" razors (Gillette and Schick) but I keep catching her using my stuff:D.

dustmite likes this.
  13. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

my wife does, she uses a lady gillete, slim , and FB...also uses a stirling pilsoft and stirlings "womens line" soaps.

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Mine converted within a couple months of me starting. She's a huge environmentalist and the idea of not throwing away mountains of plastic razors was her main interest. I bought her an Edwin Jagger Heather for women and then her birth year Lady Gillette. She prefers the Gillette. Uses my Omega Pro 48 and Arko in an Old Spice mug for the lather and is quite good at it. I am ordering a tub of Witchy Woman from Stirling to surprise her with. While she will occasionally go back to a cart the Lady Gillette and Derby combo is her choice 98% of the time.

Keithmax, Sara-s and PickledNorthern like this.
  15. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

She uses my old Badger brush and shaving soap but she thinks she'll flay her legs if she uses a DE razor...

16. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Laser worked great for my wife.

Ive asked if she wanted to use my DE but shes either afriad or just worried about time. She has been impressed by how smooth my face is so only time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    RyX likes this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Well after 2 years of trying to get my wife to even try a real razor. I think I have succeeded. She ran out of her disposables and she wants to shave in the morning.

Man is she particular. She has a very specific way she holds the razor. Thumb and index finger only and upside down from how we hold them.

So needless to say the challenge was accepted. As I only have a couple of DE razors left I started with them. They all failed her grip test. She also wants a light razor.

Next up was my SE razors. That was very short. Did not like them at all.

I then busted out my injectors. As that is what I figured she would like in the end.

My evil plan was working. Getting her
    To touch all of my razors.

So here we go. I started with the obvious a yellow Schick N. She instantly rejected it as it was too heavy. Ok now I must admit I was starting to panic. Next up was my Schick M. As it is a bit lighter. No go for that also. Now I am sweating bullets. Going back to my razors I grab the lightest razor I have. The Schick G. Hope is fading at this point. I sheepishly hand it too her. She inspects it for a bit. Then proclaims that the handle will be too slick when soapy.

Son of a gun. Now I am at a total loss. Moping back to my razors totally defeated at this point. I look at my stash.

I see my Enders sitting there with its curved black plastic handle. I figure what the heck. It was my last option that fell into her crazy parameters.

Low and behold. She looks at it checks her grip for a bit and proclaims. "I think I like this one".

Success! I wanted to bust out in a Jig. Now I have a conundrum. Those blades are scarce. Luckily I can hone them up.

I will report back tomorrow. I REALLY HOPE she likes it.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I'm proud to say that my wife uses a Gillette Fatboy, Gillette 7 o clock blades, a synthetic Stirling brush, Barrister and mann soap, and a Stirling Aftershave balm

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  19. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Congrats! If you are looking let me know Ill keep it on my list of things to look for. Im pretty sure a local stop has 2 razors and a stack of blades.

twhite likes this.
  20. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Update - My wife converted to wet shaving probably a month or 6 weeks ago and hasnt looked back. While she was intimidated at first after the first try or two she really likes how efficient and smooth of a shave it is. I had to do the lather the first few times but I dont mind at all. She likes the stirling soaps (I love Stirling) and is using a vintage badger brush with a starburst I got her. Now shes started to talk to others she knows about DE in an attempt to lead them to the light.

I let her try my Aristocrat the other day and she really liked it so maybe when I find a mint one for me she can have my beater.

Keithmax, RyX, twhite and 1 other person like this.