Getting your feet whet honing.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by VintageModMan, Mar 9, 2017.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Thanks, Mister.

Karl G and Spyder like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Lapping Film is Not Expensive Especially in the USA..Just Make Sure its NOT that Optic Cloth Crap from Amazon..That's Not Lapping Film..:eatdrink013:

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, Jim99, 1976MGB and 4 others like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

Based off of your story, I looked into and then bought a set of "WHIGs" as Glen calls them. I already have a 1/6K King. What I see, if I understand what I have read, is that I will be able to get an edge from the WHIGS, they are just slow. As a hobbyist who is only going to need to refresh one now and then for myself, or maybe work one up from scratch occasionally, I don't mind the idea of slow.

As I figure out what I want to do, or where I am going, if I upgrade, I will probably do it one stone at a time working top down. Either way I'm not out much.

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

They aren't as slow as you think. Lap them with 320 grit paper and that will improve them dramatically. They are very hard stones, and I do not make a slurry with the stones that are provided. When I did, it just polished them too much, and was very difficult to slurry with these anyway. Once I have a bevel set, the progression on the Welsh stones is pretty fast. I also make sure the stones do not get clogged, by adding a teaspoon of Palmolive dish soap to the water I soak the hones in.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  5. PickledNorthern

Thanks for the tips. I should have them in a couple of days. I have a few razors I can go to work on and see.

Karl G, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  6. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

Karl G, Linuxguile, twhite and 2 others like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

You should stay with the 3M. Didn't you know that 3M lapping film and 3M electrical tape are a proven "system "? :D

Karl G, DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  8. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

Arko, and Clubman are a proven system as well, but I change that up too... I'm crazy like that!

Karl G, Billyfergie, twhite and 2 others like this.
  9. llalm

llalm New Member

Chosera 1k is a great bevel setter

10. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

You misunderstand the statement, I started honing professionally and used a Norton 4/8 only, for the first 1500 razors before I ever purchased another hone

I started professionally with a proved, well established system, by doing so it gave me access to the most information available at that time..

I started honing SR's with a Arhie and near zero help well before the internet even existed, with all the help available now it is much easier to get going

Karl G, Billyfergie, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wow, setting levels with a 4k must have been laborious. And yes, with all the help on the internet, it is much easier to get started, successfully, in honing.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  12. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Not really, there are work arounds using the Norton Prep stone to produce a "Cutting Slurry"

There are so many Tricks buried in the archives of the forums that many of you new guys have never seen,,,

The difference in a Norton 4k with a cutting Slurry and a Chosera 1k is Consistency, the Chosera is Fast and Accurate every time the Norton with slurry is more prone to user error

Which goes back to my original statement, the very people that should be using the most Consistent tools available are the very one looking to use little known and usually inconsistant systems

***History note*** 10 years ago there were MANY more razors available on e-bay, in much better condition than there are now, I could buy a 8/8 W&B in darn good shape in 2007 for $20 any time I wanted to

Mint DD's were $25-$50 so a Norton 4/8 was way more hone then needed for most bevel sets

13. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    ps; in 2007 there were actually no real honing vids out there on Youtube :(

Now there are 1000's hehehe

14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Because of your & Lyn's vids, I chose the Norton 4/8k and the techniques to begin my honing experience. The Norton stone is a great foundation:)

15. Jkb

Jkb Active Member

Hi I had bought a stone named de cooler similar to this it's a carborundum stone it's work good with oil and meh with water there cheap have fun I don't like norton stones I'd go with king there better imop have fun

Karl G likes this.
  16. Jkb

Jkb Active Member

Just my 2cents if I may an old itailian barber thought me how to hone he put me on a soft ark because there slow he said if I can set the bevel on this stone I can use anything true that also the more expensive stones cut to fast you can screw up a razor in no time better to get a slower stone learn technique but then again back in the 1600 to 1700 and so on there were no schools it was just find a rock that was flat and rub metal on it anyway that's just my opinion based on my experience