DISPOSABLES

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by EnglishChannel, Mar 17, 2017.

1. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I searched for this (apparently unpopular) topic, and it seems that the last activity is from 2 years ago.
    My apologies if I should have added to a currently existing thread.

I remember using disposable razors, out of necessity, from my wife's stash many years ago (probably Bic women's razors). The experience was NOT something that I would appreciate. So much so that I have had a genuine negative bias for disposable razors. They have always been around - I have 2 daughters - but I have avoided them unless dire circumstances (i.e. lack of planning) forced me to use them. THAT was a rare circumstance!

However, my recent acquisition and very positive experience shaving with some Gillette Trac II razors has stuck with me. The blades for these cost me $18 for ten cartridges. That's $1.80/cart.

The lowest common denominator for disposables available around here seems to be of the twin blade variety.
    And browsing a local discount store, I came across these razors at $.99/12 razors. That's $.0825/cart! Just over 8 cents! That rivals the cost for DE blades.
    Equaline Twin Blade Plus Disposable.jpg
    So I picked up a pack. I have shaved with one of them for 4 shaves. Here's the deal (YMMV):
    I get an excellent shave from these cheap disposable twin blade razors. They perform similarly to the Gillette Trac II carts, and for a fraction of the cost.

Now, I will tell you that these razors do NOT have the feel of a heavy steel handle razor. And it seems that they require more effort on my part to get the 4 pass BBS shave that I desire.

But, it shows that shaving skills are more important than the tools used. I will admit that I don't enjoy the shave as much as I do with my more refined tools. BUT- if you need a good shave, follow a good preparation routine, and are proficient with the platform, you can achieve a very good shave even with the lowly disposable razor.

I guess my point is that there are many ways to get a good shave.
    The variables are always time, cost, and quality.

Shaving every day can become routine.
    This forum has taught me to step out of the box and try new things.
    Share your experience with the dreaded disposable.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Herm2502, JohnDB, RyX and 4 others like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use a Schick Xtreme 3 disposable everyday for my head shaves. Love them.

gorgo2 and EnglishChannel like this.
  3. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

This is how I began shaving. I used a modern Schick Hydro cartridge razor. But that all changed when I got into double edge shaving, and let me tell you, DE shaving does make much more of a difference than cartridges. DE razor shaving can save you more money than cartridges, and it's much more fun to shave with DE razors than carts. Just my opinion. On average, a multi blade pack can cost up to $30 per month, while DE blades sometimes cost you only 50 cents. 50 CENTS. That's half than a dollar itself. Just want to simply say I enjoy DE shaving more than carts shaving.

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Consider how your new disposables are made to a razor that has been around already for 40, 60, 80 years or more. And also what's going to happen to that piece of plastic once it's tossed in the trash.

gorgo2 and theguitarshaver559 like this.
  5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I have not tried them myself, but the Indian Gillette Guard is often praised among DE shavers for being a good traveling solution. They are even quite affordable comparing to other disposable.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

de shaving is a lot easier on the landfill ,i throw my blades into a tin and throw them into a scrap metal bin.soap pucks are used in mugs,croap and cream tins are reused for old blades or misc stuff.i had good shaves with some carts,2 or 3 bladed ones without slippery strips,but shaving was still a chore then.learning a good technique and using long lasting well built items is a win win.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Until I got into wet shaving, I used whatever cartridge type razor was on sale. I never went over three blades. One or two was my preference. Used canned shave cream also. Saw the light and I've not looked back.

8. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have nothing against disposable razors. I simply get a better shave, without ingrown hairs, using a DE razor. Personally, any method that is effective for you, or anyone else, is a good thing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ninjack and gorgo2 like this.
  9. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

My uncle has very fine hair even for his beard. I am not joking when I say that he gets 6 months from a typical Mach 3 cartridge. I am on the other end of the spectrum. The same cartridge, if pushed, might last 5 days of shaving. I, on the other hand, have wire for my beard.

I haven't used a cartridge in some time now and only last month turned to DE shaving. It has been more pleasurable.

ninjack, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  10. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I like the single blade BiC METAL disposable razors. I don't see them offered for sale in stores, but Amazon has them.​

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Maybe the earth wants plastic?

BigMike and EnglishChannel like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's very possible the heads on these can be popped off and fit onto any number of different handles. I've had good luck swapping a lot of different ones around. It can add weight, depending on the handle you use

EnglishChannel likes this.
  13. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

gorgo2,
    These are one piece plastic razors that are comparable to the Gillette Good News.
    Gillette Good News.jpg
    I don't think I could remove the shaving head from these without breaking them. The handles are very light/cheap.
    I have seen actual cartridges from this brand that are designed to fit Gillette handles, but not at this price.

Thanks for all the comments.

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I actually shaved with a disposable tonight. I was running low on time and thought I would grab a quick shave with a Bic Sensitive at work. It wasn't very good at all and left me with some irritation on my neck. There was still work to be done but I didn't want to take further passes, so I cleaned up and finished the job with my Razorock Mission/Voskhod when I got home !!!

15. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Not in Austin.

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I don't care about disposables personally.

But I have a stock of excellent twin blade cartridges (most of them sadly discontinued) which rival the quality of the top DE blades for me.

YMMV, as always.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep. Results speak for themselves. It just takes a bit different technique is all.

18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

IMHO I prefer DE shaving. That being said, is it easier that a cart? No. Is it faster than a cart? No. Is the resulting shave better than a cart? Usually not. Do I enjoy DE shaving more than a cart? Yes. And there's my answer. A cart is easier, faster and gets a reasonably similar shave, but it's not as fun.

HERM

EnglishChannel, gorgo2 and MObigfoot like this.
  19. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

images-7.jpeg
    Ok, im going to have to try those. It's hard to find a disposable with just one blade and no added gimmicks. I generally opt for the Bics when I need a travel razor I can get through my carry-on luggage. Those Metals look nice.

EnglishChannel and opsimath like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Exactly. Carts are more functional in a straightforward kind of way, but DE is inexplicably more fun.