Gillette "Richwood"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I always thought that the older ornate-handled pocket sets were the prettiest Gillette razors I had seen -- until this one. I don't think this is actually a Richwood, but it sure is nice looking.

And just as I thought, the bidding went higher than I wanted to pay. I'm kind of regretting not going for it though, since it isn't very likely that another one of these in this condition will be showing up any time soon. Oh, well....:(

2. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Wow, that was nice. Don't think I've ever seen one like that before. Way to expensive for me.

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Nice, looks like a DeLuxe.

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i dont think i like the razor, but the box is awesome.

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I agree on the wood boxes. I love my Big Fellow set.

6. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i just noticed the inner tube of the razor in that auction. its shape bothers me.

:scared011

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I see what you mean -- it is different. I'm guessing that the threads on the top piece are shorter than what we're used to seeing, and the tapered portion of the inner tube fits into the gooseneck to make contact. Normally, we would see longer threads from the top piece coming down through the gooseneck to meet the inner tube. You have to admit, this is a very unique looking razor. I have never seen a Gillette razor with ornate scroll work on the head like that.

8. tom myers

tom myers Member

I've always been under the impression that a Richwood was pretty much a regular silver plated New Improved, no different than a New Standard or the like, but in a top-of-the-line mahogany case. The case in this picture certainly looks very nice.

I don't know what that razor is but it is certainly ornate and very handsome.

-EDIT- I just looked at the picture again and realized that the razor is a "New". That being the case, it would be a New Aristocrat. (See Pg.226 of Krumholtz). It's really too bad that the razor and the case are mis-matched.

Regards,
    Tom

9. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

Attached Files:

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Very nice Paul!

11. tom myers

tom myers Member

That is a real Richwood. From the wear on the handle, it is obvious that your uncle put a lot of miles on this razor. These "New Improved" Gillettes are very good shavers and I'm sure he appreciated that.

If it were mine, I wouldn't be able to refrain from taking the polish to this guy even though a lot of it will be brass. If what still remains of the silver was to be polished, as well as the brass, this razor would still look beautiful in it's own way.

I have the same razor except it's in the leather covered case, so it is labeled a "New Standard". This was my dad's high school graduation present from his parents back in 1922. It is the one razor in my collection that I wouldn't sell.

Regards,
    Tom

12. riffin

riffin Active Member

Yeah. I love the working on it!

Here's a NEW Deluxe BIN $99. Note the extension on the top of the knob. I saw a gold one too that wasn't good shape, but I can't find it now, even in completed items...

13. riffin

riffin Active Member

I believe the extended inner tube is a feature of the Deluxe line.

14. barbarosa

barbarosa New Member

The buyer knows his razors quite well. I guess the razor is a valuable one, taking in consideration the final sale price.

Regards,
    Al

15. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I love the ornate handle :drool