Bakers Dozen

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by waffen, Apr 2, 2017.

1. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

image.jpeg Razor blades
    1.Astra sp. .....very good...smooth 3 shaves per edge.Would buy 100
    2.Crystal Israeli.....good.. a little tugging...2 shaves per edge.Wouldnt buy 100
    3.GSB...excellent...5 shaves per edge... A little tugging on the 5th Would buy 100
    4.Personna blue...good..smooth no burn, 3 shaves per edge.Would buy 100
    5.Shark...excellence.3 shaves per edge,felt like no blade in razor. Would buy 100
    6.Dorco...excellent.smooth,4 shaves per edge, maybe 5 didn't want to push it. Would buy 100
    7.Derby...fair, 2 shaves per edge, tried for 3 but too rough. Wouldn't buy 100
    8.Lord...fair, 2 shaves per edge. Wouldn't buy 100
    9.Feather...excellent.. 4 shaves per edge.. Scalpel sharp..Would buy 100
    10.Wilkinson...excellent,fantastic..7 shaves per edge.very smooth..would buy 100
    11.MerkurSuper...poor..1 shave per edge..tugging Wouldn't buy 100
    12.Rapira platinum lux...1 shave per edge.tugging.Wouldnt buy 100
    13.Personna red platinum...3 shaves per edge..smooth.. Would buy 100
    All shaves were completed with a RazorRock old fashion O.C. my own black badger brush,and my own shaving soap. Everyone's face is different, Feather and Dorco the best for me,Rapira and Merkur the least.

2. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

This is a great review of a bunch of razors!! I have tried wilkinson as well and really like them. Got a bunch of Russian steel recently though and they're gonna last me a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waffen likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like the way you did that. Very cool. Thanks for the review.

waffen likes this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Nice write up and very helpful for someone looking to try one of those blades. I know blades are a personal thing and YMMV, but for those that I've used on your list, my experience is similar. I might try a couple of your higher rated blades. Thanks.

waffen and Pilotcld like this.
  5. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

nice review

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

waffen likes this.
  6. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I probably should have spoke of the cost as Wilkinson,Feather, and Dorco are my favorites but Wilkinson and Feathers cost twice as much per 100 as Dorcos and for me are just as good. Two I tried but didn't make the list were Rapira and Voskhod, some guys love them, they were terrible for me, like shaving with a rusty sardine lid.

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Excellent blade review. :happy088:
    I've used every blade on your list. It's funny I would totally agree with most of your choices, but would put Dorco and Derby at the bottom along with Merkur. I also factored in cost in my considerations when I was looking for a daily use blade/blades. Have you ever tried Polsilver Super Iridiums, Vikings Sword(made in Israel) or any of the Gillette 7 O'clock blades? I liked the yellow and green 7 O'clocks the best.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice job!!

9. 2hot 2trot

2hot 2trot Active Member

Thanks for sharing.

10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Nice write up. But you'd better be careful. No mention of Voskhod. The Cartel may send somebody around. Better have your wife start your car for a couple of weeks.
    Most blades regardless of brand last six days worth of shaves for me. That translates to to about 18 shaves per.
    Pretty good return if you ask me.
    I really should revisit Wilkinson Sword, as I have not used them since I started this journey last April. Maybe after this current Focus.