Brush recommendation request. please.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DBart., Apr 5, 2017.

1. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Hi,
    I have as semogue boar. Not the owners club. i love it. I have a vie-long horse. I love it. I have a Plissoft synth. I love it! (get the picture). They are all solid feeling brushes. They have little splay and what I would call very good backbone. (I think.) I would even say they are dense. I also have2 badger brushes (fine or what the Chinese call silvertip), that are wishy-washy. They are OK lathering brushes but I would like something MUCH closer in substance and performance to the boar and horse brushes that I have.

Now here is the fun part. I do not want to pay more than $100. Any recommendations?
    Thanks
    DB

RaZorBurn123 and Derhey like this.
  2. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I would recommend a Simpson Duke 3. I just purchased one and I love it. You can find them for $90.

Linuxguile likes this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

RazoRock 400 with Noir Plisoft Synthetic, two band finest, silvertip:
    upload_2017-4-5_9-39-28.png

upload_2017-4-5_9-39-46.png

upload_2017-4-5_9-40-16.png

Stirling:
    upload_2017-4-5_9-42-15.png

RaZorBurn123 and Derhey like this.
  4. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Nice choices, Linuxguile...I was going to recommend the 26mm finest from Stirling. I am ordering one next week; I have heard they are a steal for $39.

RaZorBurn123 and Linuxguile like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I've heard that as well. I have the 24mm synthetic and love it, I would have recommended it but the OP has the Plissoft which is basically the same knot.

Derhey likes this.
  6. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Thanks. From where did you purchase it. I am only seeing it for $116 and higher?

7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Omega makes some nice Silvertip brushes. I have the 6212. I believe that they can be had for under a hundred.

8. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

really dense?

9. RetLEO-07

As inexperienced as I am with the terminology I would say dense. For shave stuff I only have two criteria "I like it" or "I don't like it".

Derhey likes this.
  10. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

thanks. i am the same way and i know I don't like thin brushes that splay a lot.

11. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Of all places, Amazon! Right now you can get one for $92.64, shipped.

12. brit

brit in a box

so far for me i haven t tried or contemplated a badger brush.i wouldn t want to spend lots and feel only a minimal difference.very happy with 2 semogue boar brushes and 2 razorock plissoft synthetics.

DBart. likes this.
  13. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

Of Course! thanks!!

Derhey likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

Definitely not thin. And the splay once loaded is marginal

15. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

According to Jared @PickledNorthern, who has a lot of brushes and recently did a brush comparison in the March 30DC thread, that Stirling brush mentioned is one of the best deals out there in badger brushes. High quality, good denseness and backbone and an absolute killer price.

A second one he mentioned, that I bought myself on his and several other people's recommendations, is Nathan Clark's Envy Shave badger knot called the Envy White. I bought mine assembled in his deluxe aluminum handle called the Alluminati and that cost me $116 shipped to Canada, but you can get it in slightly cheaper handles from Envy Shave, or you can buy just the knot for $54 and mount it in a handle of your own choosing. It's a great brush - very dense with plenty of backbone but soft on the face with good flowthrough of the lather. I am delighted with it.

jtspartan and Linuxguile like this.
  16. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

cool. thanks

17. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

Love my stirling butterscotch fan brush...

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Easy.

Get one of the following:

Stirling soap company finest badger brush
    Maggardrazors.com badger brush

Or, if you can find it...A Wolf Whiskers brush

19. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

IMG_20170406_232408.jpg here is one of my Wolf Whiskers brushes. Zoom in for detail. It is incredible!

20. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Member

I have a Whipped Dog in high mountain badger in the Luna handle. Great brush and nice backbone.