Fleamarket Find

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RetLEO-07, Apr 23, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0336.JPG IMG_0333.JPG
    Found this at the fleamarket this morning. I know it's a GEM, but other than that I'm clueless. Only paid $2 for it(for that price I couldn't leave it). Posted over in "The Haul" and got one very helpful reply(/sarc/), so I figured to try here.

jimjo1031, preidy, ninjack and 8 others like this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It is a GEM Featherweight. They are really nice middle of the road on aggression. You have a very clean example.

Use it and you will not be disappointed.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

4. RetLEO-07

Thanks Tom!

5. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Yup, those Featherweight Gems are amazing. They are so light it is deceptive. You hardly notice it's shaving, except for the feedback. I bet it gives you a good shave right off the bat. Enjoy!

jimjo1031 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

One of my favorite SE razors, I think you'll be very happy with the $2 investment.

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Great haul, Jim! Congrats! :happy088:

8. RetLEO-07

Thanks guys! Once I get some blades, I'll work it in between my Focus Shaves.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That one looks in great shape. Congrats.

10. RetLEO-07

Is there any way to figure the date range on this razor? Other than what was on the inside there were no markings.

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Not a specific year but we do know those, called the GEM Feather Weight, were made in the 1950s and were eventually replaced when the GEM Push Button hit the market in 1958. This particular model, the Feather Weight, came in two common "colors" - You could get one that was cream/ivory color handle with nickel plated head or you could get one that was cream/ivory color handle with gold plated head and a small gold plated area on the bottom of the handle on the front side. There's also three rarer handle colors that I've seen - dark chocolate brown handle, dark grey handle and yellow handle.

That's my limited knowledge on this SE razor. @HoosierTrooper is the king of SE razors. ;)

GEM.png

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    HoosierTrooper, Jim99 and wchnu like this.
  12. RetLEO-07

Thanks for that. So I guess it's 50's

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. You can go ahead and sell your DE's.

twhite and Jim99 like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Once I got into SE shaving, I woke up to that realization too! @RetLEO-07 , the world of SE shaving is amazing and, with all of the fine SEs made, you'll question all of the hubbub around DEs.

HoosierTrooper and twhite like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very true. I preach that but until someone tried them they just do not understand.

HoosierTrooper, Jim99 and twhite like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

I'll give it a fair shot. But I do like my NEW SC and SA-109. So now I'll have one more tool in the toolbox.

Jim99, twhite and wchnu like this.
  17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

And you may find it to be the better tool in your toolbox.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    SharptoothC and RetLEO-07 like this.
  18. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I've always held the Feather Weight in high regard because it's my birth year/era SE, 1956. To the best of my knowledge it was only the second model that ASR gave an official name to, the first being the Micromatic, and it started their use of mostly plastic handles.

Here's three of mine that are examples of some of the different versions that where made. It's interesting that the bar guards are slight y different as well. The version on the left has horizontal lines, the grey/dark green handled one is smooth and the fancy gold one on the right has vertical grooves. I really don't know why they had different patterns.

[​IMG]

Mickey Mantle was in several ads for the FW, like this one. Guys like to bust on "canned goo" but as you can see it's been around a long time. I'd love to find one of those sets in a dusty old antique store sometime!

[​IMG]

19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I was hoping you would chime in. He was asking, and i knew you had the answers.

SharptoothC likes this.
  20. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Actually, IAmTheJody pretty well nailed the time frame down on them so he should get the credit for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk