Fat Boy Oddity

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Old School, May 1, 2017.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Hi Folks. I bought a FB w/case on the bay just to get the case and pass on the razor. I compared it to my own personal FB to figure out which to pass on or keep. Mine is E3, this one is E2 date code. Both are in excellent condition but I think I may have to keep both now (damn RAD) due to they are different. Look at the space between the black band and dial on the E2 vs the lack of any space on my E3. Both are set to "9" in the pic. Upon inspection (i never noticed) the dial does move up and down a bit based on the adjustment setting. My E3 comes close to exposing a gap, but doesn't quite get there when it stops on 9.

Anybody got any ideas? Is one considered lesser quality than the other? I did an ebay fatboy search and scrolling down the page quickly you'll see multiple examples of both in the thumbnail images. I've never noticed this before...Thoughts appreciated!
    razor.JPG

Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Just a guess, but maybe the one on the right of the pic needs to have the adjustment re-aligned. But I have seen pics identical to both of yours.

3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

There were some fatboys with the extra long collar. Nothing too unusual about it.

Primotenore and TitanTTB like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Well, I've not seen that before. Mine doesn't have a gap.

5. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

There are two different variations of the fatboys. @GlennConti can probably explain it better than I ever could.
    As far as I know they both shave the same.

6. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Based on my Google image search of gillette fat boy ads I've decided to keep the gapless razor. Should i decide to keep the other I'll likely refer to it as my "Monday" razor :)

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Both of mine (d4) fatboy, and (d3) executive, have the longer collars. I didn't know of another.

8. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

My E1 has a short collar.

Greg W.

9. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

10. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    '65 G-Slim likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    D3...
    IMG_5804.JPG

RyX and '65 G-Slim like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I think that I will use my '58 Adjustable for the next few shaves...:)

RyX, LOOT and Jorvaljr like this.
  13. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

The D3 was my 1st Fatboy. It now in the process of getting the royal treatment. When done it will be in Rhodium. It's my favorite FB.

And don't get me started on RAD. My razor bill for 2017 is astronomical. I need to purge a couple of pieces.

RyX likes this.
  14. wasson

wasson New Member

I have an E 1 and it has the extra space. I had assumed that the differnce was based on the model year, not a variation of lenghts. In any event, I am thrilled to own one.

15. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

It sounds like we don't have to get you started. You're well on the way, n'est ce pas?