Thinking about picking up a Merkur Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Badgerstate, May 8, 2017.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Hello all. So, Im thinking about picking up a Mekur Futur. I like the modern look of them and I like aggressive razors (which it seems like most people think they are).
    Ive done some research on them and they get great reviews on Amazon and Ive read some good things online about them.
    It seems like some are concerned about the mechanism that holds the top cap on but Im yet to read anyone saying they broke the spring or the tabs on top cap. I have read some on uneven blade gap issues but those seem to be more related to a defect from the vendor.
    The Futur sounds like a winner from where Im sitting. Modern design, aggressive. Am I missing anything?

Keithmax, RyX and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Futur clone by Ming Shi. It might be something that'll interest you. Everyone I've seen recommends it and it's half the price.

RyX and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I was sent a Ming Shi shaver 2000s to review. I know, it's a catchy name! I call it the Chinese Futur. I like it very much indeed.

AGHisBBS, RyX and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Why go Futur when the Past is much better:
    IMG_0244.JPG

Troy M, dangermouse, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I like mine, I think you'll be happy. I personally would rather have a genuine than a copy. The copy may be just as nice, but the real one is nice enough for others to copy.

RyX and Jim99 like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I also like aggressive razors and I love my Futur. Go for it.

8. Badgerstate

Already have one.

9. RetLEO-07

Then you have all you need :D

Bookworm likes this.
  10. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Well....

I own the actual "real" Futur (not the clone) and I love the thing. I don't regret it one bit and it looks great with my shave kit:
    [​IMG]

Troy M, Jim99, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  11. Badgerstate

Its my birth year razor and its nice but I use it on setting 8 and still find it a bit mild. Its also kind of a pain to keep clean because its a butterfly. I kind of have a tradition of using it ever year during my birth month but its not a razor that I want to use every day.

12. Badgerstate

Welp, I pulled the trigger on the Futur. $63 on Amazon with free 2-day shipping. I almost bought it from a local shaving shop for $68 but I liked the no-hassle return policy with Amazon incase there is some issue with the razor.
    I did look up the clone but I was finding prices in the $49 range. For the extra $14, I'll spring for the real thing.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    RyX, Tdmsu, Primotenore and 2 others like this.
  13. RetLEO-07

I use mine loaded with a Voskhod. I start my shave week on Sunday with a two day growth. First pass WTG, on "9". Second XTG cheeks and chin, ATG neck on "7" Third XTG(nose to ear) cheeks and chin and XTG neck is "7" also.
    Most of the time that yields either a DFS+ or BBS.
    During the week, first pass is "8", second is "6" and the half pass on my neck is "6" also. That yields consistent DFS or DFS+.

RyX and Tdmsu like this.
  14. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

It is my favorite razor. I use it with voskhods as well and it is very efficient and comfortable for me. I found the shaves with my Futur on 6 more comfortable than a FatBoy on 9, and more efficient, too.

I ordered one of the Qshave Chinese versions to compare, but I'm very happy with the Merkur - the Q will be a back up, or to use when I want to deep clean the genuine article.

15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Let us know the difference between them.

RyX and Tdmsu like this.
  16. Ankit

Ankit Member

Great, I am sure you will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

+1 Yes, please! A couple side by side shaves and photos.
    The handles appear a little thinner on the Q's. I'm curious about where corners were cut to make the clones so cheap.

Tdmsu and Jim99 like this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not that many corners need to be cut when you are using the most modern equipment and paying workers 1/10 of their German counterparts, in addition to savings in raw materials, transportation, advertising etc. Further, it's worth noting that there were a lot of complaints about Merkur QC prior to its retooling of the Progress, it's likely they'd be pushing useful life of Futur production equipment in the same fashion.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Primotenore, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  19. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

I got my clone for $2.86 shipped granted it's coming from Thailand.

RyX likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Enjoy!
    Before I switched over to SRs, the Futur was my go-to DE adjustable. Aggressive, large and efficient.
    [​IMG]