SoS: May 8, 2017 - May 14, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, May 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Saturday's plans:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash
    Razorock Plissoft 26mm Monster
    Super Speed Rapira day 6
    Stirling Frozen Tundra SS
    Stirling Glacial Unscented AS Balm
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen WH
    Givenchy Gentleman EdT

Ohhhhhh, am I gonna freeze!

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Amigo. :happy088:

Boojum1, RyX, Robyflexx and 1 other person like this.
  3. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Friday 12th May

Hives Sheffield razor
    Rubberset inspired Finest Badger brush made by myself
    Stirling Coniferous soap
    Stirling Coniferous balm

First shave with this Hives Sheffield made razor. It was in a sorry state when I got it one of the black horn scales had a huge chunk missing. I made an exact replica scale from black horn and re pinned the whole razor together. The shave was excellent from a 200 yr old razor.

4. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

May 12,
    PAA Double Open Comb / GSB 1
    Crown Shaving Cream for Vagabonds Gentlemen and Ruffians
    L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
    Gentleman's Pride ASB
    Proraso Green AS[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nice set up. Is that a B-400 & Tuxedo brush?

Roderick, jimjo1031, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Tom's brush with Tuxedo.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

7. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Razor - Gillette Superspeed circa 1947-1952 (Re-plated in Nickel Finish by Razor Emporium)
    Blade - BiC Chrome-Platnium
    Shave Soap - Cyril R. Salter "Indian Sandalwood"
    Aftershave/Fragrance - PAA "Sangre De Drago" (Oud & Sandalwood) Aftershave/Cologne
    Deodorant - Dove "Mineral Powder Sandalwood"

I think this will be a great combo. Will give my impressions in a bit. I am off work today and just vegged around and will take a shower and have a shave now. I tested the deodorant on a paper towel and it starts out 'fresh' smelling, but eventually dries down to a powdery sandalwood smell that I think will go great with this combo. I haven't tried PAA's aftershave yet, but from the nozzle it smells very boozy/whiskey like with wood notes and a prominent sandalwood note. The Cyril R. Salter shave croap soap smells like a spicy sandalwood which I think will go fantastically with PAA's Boozy/Sandalwood/Oud cologne. I'm looking forward to this test evaluation. If it turns out like I think it will, this could be a future winter shave combo for me. All of these together should smell like a great blend. I've gotten pretty good at putting these sets together and this seems like it might be a winner.

I think no man has a right to smell this good. It's like going next level.

Edit:

Okay, my thoughts. the Cyril R. Salter Sandalwood croap shave soap is a "10" out of 10. 10 on scent. 10 on protection. 10 on slickness. 10 on residual slickness. I could have just rubbed a couple of drops of water on my skin after shaving off the soap and performed another pass with no issue. That's how HQ the the residual slickness was. This stuff is as good, or maybe a tad better, than Catie's Bubbles croap/cream style shave soap. Top score from me. It's an elite shave soap. Also a "10" on post shave feel. Moisture is still present from the soap even after rinsing.

The PAA "Sangre De Drago" (Oud & Sandalwood) Aftershave/Cologne is great stuff. It does have a bracing sting but the scent is worth it. It's a great compliment to the Cyril R. Salter Sandalwood soap.

The deodorant needs about 2 hours to dry out the 'fresh' note and then the powdery sandalwood smell is a great compliment to what the aftershave smells like.

The pendulum keeps swinging with my razors now that I'm testing various blades. Currently, the best shave I'm getting is with the old school vintage Gillette Superspeed circa 1947-1952 and the BiC Chrome-Platnium blade. I just completed my 8th EIGHTH shave with this blade and it's STILL slicing through hair with no pulling, no drag, incredible comfort and amazing BBS skin afterwards. This is the most shaves I've gotten with any blade/razor combo since I started shaving with DE razors. No other blade and razor combo has had such longevity and comfort. My rule of thumb is to change blades once I feel the first uncomfortable shave with drag/pulling/excessive-irritation. I'm also able to execute more than one pass with less irritation than any other razor+blade combo I've used. This combo of razor + blade is the ultimate combination of sharpness, smoothness and comfort. I will keep testing other blades in this razor, but I think the BiC Chrome-Platinum is going to be the one I stock up for this particular razor. It's currently my favorite shave. *(This opinion is subject to change when I try more blades in more of my razors.)

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  8. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Saturday Planned SOTD

[​IMG]

Razor: Gem Jr. Bar\Weber bulldog
    Blade: Feather FHS-10 (07)
    Brush: Thater 4125/2 2 band
    Bowl: The Distinctive Goat Style 3 5"
    Pre-Shave Scrub: Lisa's Sunny Citrus
    Pre-Shave Oil: Homemade Bay Rum w Lime
    Shave Soap: The Holy Black Bay, Whisky & Lime
    Aftershave: Captain’s Choice Lime

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette TV Special (D2) 1958
    Blade: Feather (6)
    Brush: Oscar 11 w/ Omega 10049
    Soap: Route 66 High Mountain Mist
    Aftershave: F&C Shambala

12 05 17.jpg

10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Great setup and photo amigo! :happy096:

clint64, RyX, ram57 and 3 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much amigo. Have a great weekend.

clint64, RyX, ram57 and 3 others like this.
  12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oh by the way, Corinne (my wife) loves the scent of the Shambala. It's one of the few aftershaves I have which she enjoys smelling on me! ;)

13. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

nice review, i got the pearl tto open comb sbf-12 last and I felt the same, gorgeous razor!!! 25 bucks .. only modern tto open comb that i know of..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. FranklinFurter

FranklinFurter Well-Known Member

May 11

Brush: Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush
    Soap: Proraso Green
    Razor: Merkur Progress (+3)
    Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless Green (3)
    Lotion: Omega Alum Stick / Old Spice A/S / Nivea Post Shave Balm / Pinaud Clubman Talc

A DFS.

15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Jaime, great job on that second photo! :happy036:

16. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Right out of a Marvel Comic Book!

17. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Date: 13 May 2017

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm
    Cream/Soap: - La Savonniere Du Moulin (donkey milk)
    Razor: - Colonial Razors "The General" SE with iKon Bulldog Handle
    Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) #16
    Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Rose Petal' Aloe Vera Alcohol Free Toner / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm

18. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

You've been working out the High Mountain Mist soap a lot lately. I'm beginning to think it's worth looking into now.

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks Tim. It is an outstanding soap.

20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod170513.jpg
    Saturday's Shave
    zcws.gif

Nivea Men Face Wash
    L'OCCITANE Cade Shaving Soap
    Made-Rite 12 Boar
    Dubl Duck
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS

The L'OCCITANE Cade Shaving Soap face-lathered well with my Made-Rite 12 Boar brush. I did two passes the Dubl Duck 5/8 razor, and I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. No nicks or cuts. I like it when I don't bleed. After a cold water rinse and alum block, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: May 13, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.