Mail Call from Whipped Dog

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by dkeester, May 14, 2017.

1. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

I like my Torrey from WD very much, so I decided to buy two more sight unseen straights. Now I have a nice little collection of vintage straights.

Larry sent me a couple of jems, a Shuredge and a Genco Old Dutch. The blades are in great shape and they are even in coffins. Great stuff. I am very happy.

Here are the pics:
    Optimized-IMAG0614[1].jpg Optimized-IMAG0615[1].jpg Optimized-IMAG0616[1].jpg

Also, he included a sample of Strop Shoppe Baker Street. Awesome.

AGHisBBS, MR41, Keithmax and 11 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Let us know how the edges are, and how they shave.

Zykris, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  3. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Those look like most of my razors, that I have collected and honed for everyday use. Nothing wrong with them at all. They should be great, functional straight razors. Enjoy!

To me, the real fun in straight razors is honing, not just the shave itself. We will know that you have gone fully over the cliff when you start posting pictures of your honing stones!

Spyder, Zykris, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Congrats on a good haul from Larry at WD. His Sight Unseen aren't beauty queens, but they are fully functional.

That soap sample is Unobtanium! The manufacture shut down so any you get your hands on is precious. I purchased six samples nearly three years ago, but never ordered a full sized tub. Fortunately I acquired a nearly full London Morning S.E. tallow - good soap from a company that suffered from a marketing misadventure.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool. Vintage rules.

RyX, Spyder, wchnu and 4 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

I cannot agree with you more.

RyX, Zykris, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Maybe I am just weird.....I prefer rougher looking razors that function good.

9. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

The pictures don't really do them justice. They definitely look used, but they are in really good condition. I need to clean up the scales on both of them a bit, but that is really all.

10. DaltonGang

I'm the same way, sort of. I just like to tinker, and make them look as good, not new. I sharpened a drawback for another member, many months ago. Someone replaced the blade, or reelected the blade back into place. It w a s definitely very fought and scary looking, but very functional. I think I called it his Rat Rod Razor. Calling @JR Reyes .

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  11. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Nice pieces!

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sounds like a fun one.

13. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Do you like playing with the double arrow / Gold Dollar ones as well?

14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That's kind of impressive that those are the sight unseen razors.