Pipe Razor Thread.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, May 14, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Time to show off your pipe razors, and ask questions about them. Also, offer any knowledge you can about these.
    I picked up a Rusty one, for a song. It's nasty looking. But, the question is It is a wedge, and on one side of the tang, there is only the Pipe. on the other side it reads "George Wostenholm & Son, Sole Manufacturers of the , Original & True (Pipe symbol) Razor". Any ideas on the age.
    Also, why were some George Wostenholm razors not Pipe Razors, and some were??
    I am in the process of cleaning it up now, and don't want to start this tread with a crusty razor.

2. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

How about before and after photos?

Sent from my phone using some app

3. DaltonGang

Just downloaded them.

Razor- George Wostenholm & Son
    $9.99.

Before:
    P5130913.JPG
    P5130914.JPG

After:
    P5140915.JPG

P5140916.JPG

4. GarnerPW

Thanks for the pics. As the razor doesn't say where it was made it is my understanding that it had to have been made prior to 1890. I believe. Hopefully someone else will chime in and confirm this.

5. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Looks nice. You got a good one, unless you wanted to enter it into a pissing contest. I've been wanting to try one, too. Just haven't seen one pop up that I wanted to tackle. Most of them you see come up on auction are honed down to a toothpick, or have been ground/sanded down to the same condition.

6. DaltonGang

It's got me puzzled too. Usually the ones I've seen have the George Wostenholm & Son's. This one says "Son".

This is why I search for the ugly ones, with little wear. It might be a little work, but you save money, and feel better about bringing one back to "razor life".

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Here's mine from this morning's shave:
    Geo Wostenholm Pipe 5:8 AOS HASS TH AOS.JPG

This is the only other razor I have that comes close to the butter knife smooth feel of my 1941 Russian. I won this in a TSD raffle and it is a superb razor - highly recommended. :) Mine is marked Geo. Wostenholm & Son (singular) Sheffield, Eng. on the reverse side. No other verbiage.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My favorite 'pipe' and arguably my favorite razor...[​IMG]
    flipside:
    [​IMG]

MR41, Drygulch, Kizurra and 6 others like this.
  10. GarnerPW

I don't have a pipe razor. With all these good looking pics you guys are making me green with envy.

11. DaltonGang

Nice scales. Your creation??

12. DaltonGang

You lucked out winning that in a raffle. It's in great shape.

13. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Ditto. :angry017:

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes. Original were split. New design more modern using black feathered horn; brass hardware.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Another Pipe...
    [​IMG]
    Found this shot from a few years ago of the big pipe awaiting the scales (along with two other old Sheffields)
    Cracked scales needed replacing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've owned a number of these Wosty pipes and all have been excellent Sheffield shavers. I believe three of these blades are stamped as 'pipe' razors (reverse side of tang).
    [​IMG]

MR41, Spyder, Kizurra and 6 others like this.
  16. GarnerPW

Most hold out. Can not give in. Most save money for tractor.

17. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

20170518_201024_resized.jpg
    mine two pipe razors. on top is a 5/8 with heavy pitting and rustmarks,but has plenty good steel,so was no problem getting a good edge.
    the lower is a 11/16 that i got from Canada today.beautiful blade in very good condition.could use some new scales,but the original works as is.was sold as shave ready but the edge looks ruff so it need some honing.

MR41, Billyfergie, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice score! Great looking blade:)

19. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

20. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

I'll have to dig mine out and post it, she's an old ugly one with lots of wear on both edge and spine but still a great shaver and long overdue for a workout. The only info I ever found was at strazers.com, decent info out of a book and some photos of the factory which is fun to look at.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Billyfergie, Spyder, Karl G and 3 others like this.