Brand New Wet Shaver

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Fup, May 16, 2017.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

@Fup - The 30 Day Group has their own little corner of TSD, new thread each month. It's like the high school study hall with minimal supervision, class clowns, graffiti on the chalk boards. It's also a little more in depth conversation about any issues a participant wishes to share. While the Shave of the Day thread has photos and list of stuff used, the 30DC (pronounced "Thirty Day Crew") goes into details if someone needs a clue about making improvements to their shave. No commitment but to yourself. Come as you are & bail if you choose. Inside jokes abound, fair amount of poking of fun, but we're gentle with the new guys.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

wristwatchb and Fup like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

Fup likes this.
  3. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

Hi Fup -- lots of nice folks here with plenty of suggestions. Your Astra SP blades are my personal favorite!

There are so many choices in the world of wet shaving, and I know how tempting it is to "just try everything". I think you are wise to show restraint, but definitely have fun! I find the simple fact I now enjoy something that used to be an onerous chore is wonderful.

You've already gotten some great suggestions, but since nobody has suggested much in the aftershave department, I highly recommend Captain's Choice -- all their scents are good, but the Cat-O-Nine-Tails is superb! ~~ "Feel the Burn!"

RyX and Fup like this.
  4. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Glad to have you! Welcome!

Fup likes this.
  5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. Many directions for you to go.....all are a great journey.

Fup likes this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Fup likes this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Gillette silver blues are sharper and gillette 7 o'clocks tend to be smoother. It sounds like you don't need feathers. Go for sharks, the 7 o'clocks, Rapira, and voskhods.

How do you like the Astra spa?

8. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

The Astras are working good, got 3 shaves out of the first blade now so I might switch it out for the next shave. As far as I can tell with my limited experience they're working well for me.

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

Fup likes this.
  10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I like Astra SPs. They are medium sharp and smooth. I like that they don't cost alot either.

Usually, it's important to start off wet shaving easy and go into more aggressive items if you want later. The truth is, your technique will eventually improve to where you can use anything...of course, a luxurious shave will always be more enjoyable.

Fup likes this.
  11. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

I joined the 30DC so I'm going to order more Astra SPs and go for 30 days with what I have now before I start experimenting. Probably first things I get will be soap and aftershave.

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den!!

Fup likes this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

Fup likes this.
  14. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den amigo....... :signs046:

Fup likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome @Fup, glad you decided to join us. Enjoy your self!

Fup likes this.
  16. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Welcome Fup. I've been here since July2016. Good group of folks in this den.
    Astra SP blades are a good choice.
    I use witch hazel every shave, right after rinsing off the last bit of shaving cream. I thought it was odd smelling at first, but now I enjoy the scent.
    After the witch hazel mostly dries, I use a balm. Just finished off a bottle of Nivea shave balm for sensitive skin. Now using Cremo skin moisturizer. Both are really good.

Fup likes this.
  17. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

I use Thayer's alcohol free aloe witch hazel. I can barely smell it but yeah, it has a little weird smell to it. My shea butter is pretty awesome after my shave but I tend to use maybe a little too much and make my face all greasy. But I'd rather have my face moisturized than dry.

CarlfromMO likes this.
  18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

welcome.gif

Fup likes this.