Disposable straights..with DE blades

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by rickyken, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Padron

Padron Active Member

I am not sure what ones your looking for.....

maybe this place has them? :)

2. riffin

riffin Active Member

They Fromm blades for hair styling razors. I think Classic carries them. They are not hard to find.

3. fritz

fritz New Member

You can get the Fromm blades from lots of places. I got mine from Classicshaving.com because I needed the green holder as well. The blades are here, and the holders are here, with a very helpful picture of the three different holders and blades.
    Once you know what you're looking for, Sally Beauty Supply carries some blades made by Personna, that will fit the green holder. Less expensive, too.

While the packaging says "Hair Shaper" blades, they work just fine for shaving. Careful, they are really sharp!

4. lvbarber

lvbarber New Member

The Hercules or the Monsieur Charles are good choices. The MC takes good old fashioned injector blades. The Hercules is a copy of the Tondeo. I use straights from my personal collection. I was a barber for many years and once straights were outlawed I switched to the MC and the Hercules in the shop. I don't like the Hess, I would like to try a Feather AC. The MC has plastic scales and it looks like a straight. The Hercules is all stainless and the blade is longer. It uses Hercules or Tondeo blades and you break them in halve. To me the MC seems balanced and the weight is more realistic. Nothing beats the real deal though.

5. herzi

herzi Active Member

The only one I like is this one
    [​IMG]

The weight of this one is between the weight of a 5/8 and a 6/8 straight. So it provides me smooth shaves.
    Unfortunately I have only seen it at coma.it and they don't have a webshop.
    For more pictures click here
    http://www.gut-rasiert.de/forum/index.php?topic=1019.0

6. Navaja

Navaja Member

I have a DOVO Shavette with the black insert and I use DOVO blades, they are made for each other. The shaves are excellent but it's easier to get nicks and cuts with these blades than with a regular str8. I get a very smooth shave with only 2 passes, WTG and ATG, and it's an excellent tool for traveling.

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    They can't. They don't have enough posts. Participation is required of vendors if they wish to be here as vendors. That means 25 posts in the rest of the forum, before they can post in the Vendors Corner.

9. JayKay

Ooooo. I wasnt aware. Good thing I'm not a mod.

10. Queen of Blades

We'll have to step up your training. :p

The thing is, it isn't free to run TSD. Coming in and trying to get free advertising isn't right. Give back to the site, through participating, and we're good.

11. JayKay

I like to think I give back with my witty insights :D

12. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

groan

13. Queen of Blades

Of course you do, sweetie. <pat on the head smilie> :D

14. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Magic Shavettes...

I now have two Magic Shavettes and two that I purchased off of Ebay that are no name but are virtually identical to the Magics in design. Both shave very well if you go slow and take your time. Learned a hard lesson today that you cannot make a pass without something on your face, trying to do a second pass with just sinkwater mixed with my cream and not a whole new application of it, went xtg on my left sideburn and received a nice 1/3 inch cut, will heal up quickly enough, but you need to have plenty of water and plenty of whatever you use to shave with in order for it to shave properly and not grab and slice you. Once you got the angle and technique down they are decent shavers. I usually use half a DE blade once, sometimes twice. Currently using Dollar General blades which I believe are Dorcos, and also use Wal-Mart Personnas, have not tried my Personnas in my shavettes yet, just with my DE's.

15. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

I've got a Parker shavette that uses half DE blades. I like it a great deal, but it's a little harder to use than my DEs. I like it for once a week shaves, usually on Sat. night, b/c I don't have to shave the next day or two afterward.

Something you should try out if you're so inclined...they're cheap and pretty readily available too.

16. maierar

maierar New Member

17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

rickyken got some serious mileage on this thread! Where did rickyken go?

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Sanquine CoolCut all the way , a great shavette , delivering a fine shave. Mine came from barberscissors.co.uk for $15 with 4 day shipping from the UK .Has a little storage pouch and a box of Wilkinsons included. If one wants to play with a razor than can do a good job of shaving this is cheap satisfaction.