Grand Shave King

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weeper Warrior, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Always glad to help! ;)

Bill_F, Billyfergie and 178-bplatoon like this.
  2. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

I'm teetering on the edge of a purchase myself. Yeah, I'd be pretty upset if they disappeared while I sat on the fence. :angry032:
    :D

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

You had me at self-lubricating.

4. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I would like one but there were other things I wanted more this time around. I feel confident that someone who bought it will dislike it and sell one to me later even if they quit selling them new so, I'm not going to rush and snatch one up yet.

Bill_F, Norcalnewb and 178-bplatoon like this.
  5. Norcalnewb

They are great razors, IMHO. If I want a can't miss comfortable shave, this is the razor I reach for (just make sure the cap is tight, speaking from experience).

Bill_F likes this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Well I can tell you that my vintage Shave King shaves wonderfully and it's becoming a daily shaver for me. So considering the cost and difficulty of finding another vintage SK off ebay(mine is missing a comb tooth) that's why I pulled the trigger on the Phoenix DOC.:) I also just found out that apparently you can't get Cadet OC anymore since shaveabuck closed down. So I jumped. RAD is a terrible thing!!!:happy097:

Bill_F, Norcalnewb and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

I would love the GSK, but the last time I looked on the Bay for them, they sold at some exuberant price. :shocked003: I don't know how they compare exactly to the Phoenix, but the Phoenix is a great razor, so if the original is better, then they must be fantastic.

Bill_F and 178-bplatoon like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

There are 2 vendors selling GSK razors on ebay now. One vendor's GSK has a starting bid of $68.99 or a BIN of $89.99 plus $5.99 shipping. The other vendor has six GSK's with the original boxes at a price of $200.00 a piece, but with free shipping(how nice of him):happy097: Although IMO the GSK is a FANTASTIC safety razor, it's just not worth that much money to me as a shaver, for a collector it may be a deal, I don't know?:confused:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    mrchick and Bill_F like this.
  9. billybob65

billybob65 New Member

I have the one with 14 teeth on the base plate and it is quite a mild shave. Good deal at $15.00 at Lindsay On. flea market

mrchick likes this.
  10. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, been looking a the Phoenix now for about a year, been holding off because a little birdy told me my wife was going to buy me one for Father's Day , but in case she doesn't, it's the first thing I order.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's cool. I hope she gets it for you.

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I've have two, i loved the first one so much. I unfortunately dropped it, destroying the too cap and handle. I missed it terribly.
    I found another at a fair price. I'm back in business. I know the reviews say their mild, but they give me supremely close comfy shaves.

@178-bplatoon , do you still have the GSK with the missing tooth?

13. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

I've got two GSK's and the Phoenix DOC. I find the DOC to be more aggressive. The GSK is mild as a Tech and gives a great shave.

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber