Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Second head shave with the 6C, plate 4. Very comfortable, not as efficient as the Shavecraft Tech or Shake Sharp but buffing pretty easy ATG, no irritation. Very nice.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Terry Williams, Tdmsu and Jayaruh like this.
  2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

So, I had my Kickstarter 6C backer order sent to my place of business and I picked it up yesterday. I got 2 razors. One white chrome and one gunmetal chrome. But, this what I received.
    IMG_2254 (7).jpg

Did anyone else have this experience? There is a subtle color difference, but it is really, really subtle. I was expecting something more like what is on the package.

BTW... I am not dissin' Rockwell. I think these are excellent razors. I think this is just a packaging mistake. Gareth said he is looking into it.

3. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

Garreth has been replacing the gun metal ones because many who ordered the gun metal ended up getting white chrome. Many of the gun metal ones came out with jist a shade or 2 difference between them. And the white chrome. Tell garreth to send you a replacement.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

4. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Why did i have too see this thread and the heretofore unknown (to me) 6c. Ugh I feel like I need one now.

Anyone care to compare \ contrast to the 6s?

5. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Head/plate geometry is identical. The only differences is instead of SS the pieces are chromed zamac. As a result, everything is a little lighter. Same great shave.

Puma likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

According to Rockwell it differs only in material, and therefore slightly in weight. That's it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

7. Terry Williams

Well, some of us got an early copy of the 6C for being backers very early. That razor is very nice. It is lighter than the 6S, but shaves every bit as good. I travel with it because I keep a 6S in a stand next to the sink and it will stay there. I have no issues with the 6C that I received as a backer gift. I ordered 2 6Cs as a part of my backer shipping order. I got a gunmetal and a white chrome. They were to be gifts for my sons. However, the gunmetal is not really gunmetal. It looks more like a darker version of the white chrome. In each, the MIM molded threading on the cap stem and the threading in the brass handle are not smoothly matched. So, with mine, it takes a bit of care to screw the handle on. I worry that I will cross thread the stem. That is why these won't be gifts now. I am pretty sure that I can tap the threads to smooth out the action, but I shouldn't have to do that. That said, don't discount the 6C, but give Gareth some time to work out the manufacturing issues. He knows about them and is working to fix the issues. When they get ironed out then this will be an excellent, inexpensive alternative the 6S.

Tdmsu likes this.
  8. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

These are shots of my 6C with my Merkur 34C and Fatboy. Mine looks ok, right?

IMG_4006.JPG IMG_4007.JPG

Head on , it looks light. From the side and with the Fatboy, it seems darker.

Mine came in May 9th and i think it is fine. Shaves nicely too. Just wish the blades were sharper

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Terry Williams likes this.
  9. Terry Williams

Yours definitely looks darker than mine.
    IMG_2256.jpg

In case you can't tell the gunmetal is in the middle. Lt to rt - SS Rocket, 6S, 6C gunmetal, 6C white chrome, polished nickel Old Type.

I think the Rocket is darker than all of the others, but certain isn't gunmetal to my eye.

10. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. The 6c is for sure at a great price point and is tempting. Maybe its worth waiting on given the mfg issues.

11. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

Ok, I was just talking with Gareth, the owner of Rockwell Razors.

Some real frigging winners have been sending him threats via his Facebook so he cannot reply there any more as he has been forced to close the account.

He is also receiving a ton of emails so if you do not get a reply please be patient. If you do not get a reply after a week or 2 please resend the email as it is a highly stressful time and mistakes happen, sometimes save is pressed instead of send, or a reply is overlooked entirely.

He is trying to work out what happened with the shipping with DHL and nobody should have had to pay brokerage/taxes on their razor. If you were charged by them please KEEP YOUR RECEIPT and email a copy of it to info@rockwellrazors.com. You will be reimbursed for it. It might not be immediately as Gareth has a lot of crap to shovel atm but it will happen.

If you ordered a gun metal razor but received a normal chrome one please also send Rockwell a picture and they will make it right.

Please be patient and understanding at this time.

If anybody could help spread the word it would be appreciated, thank you. If you see somebody running into the above issue(s) please let them know that help is a (polite) email away.

12. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

What the heck! I'm not happy about what's going on with the trouble Rockwell is having but it's flipping childish and a demonstration of the idiotic nature of stupidity to threaten a man who's doing all he can!

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

13. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

Unfortunately Gareth did everything he could. He watched over the manufacture and made sure the razors were being made correctly but the company that shipped them out (and possibly DHL) royally screwed up. Right now most of the Canadian razors are currently sitting in Germany. They were shipped from a US fulfilment company via DHL on May 11th, much later than they should have gone out, and they reached Germany on the 17th and they have yet to move from there. DHL has not given Gareth a reason for this unfortunately and there is nothing he can do.

Terry Williams likes this.
  14. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Very boorish behavior. I had one email exchange with him and had a prompt reply. Dhl was slow to ship and update the tracing but I got my 6s soon enough.

Another reason not to have face book.

15. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

That sucks. I've had a few exchanges with Gareth since the original Kickstarter and he's a stand up guy and has earned the benefit of the doubt more than once. On a personal level, he's just a really nice guy from everything I've seen.

Some of these jerks on Kickstarter need to look at projects like the Beluga Razor if they want to see an example of a reason to be upset. Gareth does an amazing job of keeping everybody informed and takes customer satisfaction personally. I won't even get into the "Kickstarter is not a store" argument. Anybody old enough to have a credit card should know that by now.

-Mc

Tdmsu likes this.
  16. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

So I've had the 6s about a week and got the first use in yesterday. Must say I was very impressed. Balance. Weight. Feel. All amazing. Nice audible. Great shave so smooth no cuts or irritation. Felt like my real first BBS shave. I'll give it another run today. (Full disclosure used plate 1 )

17. Terry Williams

As I said before, I have a copy of a 6C that is an outstanding razor. I can't emphasize that enough. And, I love my 6S. It has taken the place of my Feather AS-D2 as my "goto" razor. I really feel badly for Gareth when it comes to these issues. He is trying very, very hard to ship a quality product. I always get a reasonably quick response from him regarding anything (from kudos to issues). I appreciate that.

I think that the 6C will be an excellent choice for an adjustable DE razor given a little time. For all that I know, if you order one today, then you will get a razor that is as it was intended. The white chrome one that I just received looks and acts just like the one I was got as a backer. So, I'm sure that it's a great razor (I have used the latest one yet).

I really have no issues with mine, except for the color. Gareth will make good when he can and I am in no particular hurry.

I do worry a little that these issues have colored the perception of his gear. It's like Audi. If you are old enough to remember, Audi was one of the absolute worst cars in the 70s and 80s. But, look at them now. I only hope it doesn't take 30 years for the perception of Rockwell to improve.

18. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

On a happy note. Second use of 6s. Was amazing. No issues at all. Wonderful shave actually. Nice sound. No sting when u use alum block after.

19. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Gareth seems like a really good guy and I hope Rockwell is around for a very long time. As for the products, there is definitely a market for the 6C, but I'll make mine a 6S.

sky pilot 83 likes this.
  20. nvpliers

nvpliers Member

I received the 6c in gunmetal, and when I opened it, I too noticed that it was a lighter color than I was expecting - I wasthinking that it was a white chrome model. I emailed Gareth, and he said he would correct. BUT after I viewed one particular YouTube that showed chrome alongside the gunmetal, I noticed that the YouTuber's gunmetal was on the light side too, but still darker than the standard chrome. I then emailed Gareth and told him not to bother replacing the razor, since it was indeed gunmetal, although lighter than I was anticipating. I ended up gifting it to a relative - totally happy with my previously purchased 6s. GREAT DE razor. Great company and customer support. Gareth is a stand up guy.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Terry Williams and Tdmsu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.