Anyone mix soaps ?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fly2High, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

outside of Arko and Creamo, does anyone mix 2 or more soaps to create a new and interesting scent or improve performance of the lather?

Which did you mix and how were the results?

Keithmax, Halvor and RyX like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have a jar that is filled with samples that I've received over the years, for the most part it performs great! With a very interesting scent profile.

Screwtape and John Beeman like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I mixed vanderHagen and Williams. I really wasn't quite pleased with either. Folks here at the den suggested the mix. It was better than either alone.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

When I had slivers of multiple different shaving soaps, I grated and smooshed them in an OS mug.

It was a weird smelling frankensoap, but it worked pretty well.

If I need to mix a product to get it to work for me, then I have no need for that product in my den.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Quite a few years ago I tried mixing the old discontinued US Palmolive cream with Arko soap. The results were a good super-lather, but the Palmolive cream's scent was kind of funky, at least to my shnozz.

6. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

My thinking of mixing was not to make a soap work or work better. I was more interested if you found a nice combination whose scents paired well.

For argument sakes I would bet a pineapple and lemon or orange scent would work or the obvious lime and lemon scents.

I was curious if a mixing of two soaps yielded a scent better than the sum of its parts

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I like rose and sandalwood

I have a mint lavender makes a nice scent

Lavender eucalyptus sounds like a duo

Lime patchouli
    Almond rose
    Sandalwood mixes nicely with most floral scents
    My newest route66 is a very nice mix it's cranberry citrus

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Not two soaps, but i added Orange EO, M-Bomb, and green tea to a grated arko stick to make Iced Orange Tea Arko and it is rather enjoyable. Once this puck is gone, I will figure out my next science project.

RyX and Screwtape like this.
  9. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've gotten into the habit of dipping a wet brush into Clubman cream (about 1") before lathering a puck of Williams. Gives it a better smell, slicks it up a bit, and stays moist longer. I've also squirted a bit of Cremo for the same effect, and AoS sandalwood cream as well. Haven't tried mixing with Arko. Yet.

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Because I usually face lather, it is really easy to add a second scent to the lather. Today I combined TOBS Rose with ABC - A very nice combo.

I also have a jar of what I call "My French Soap Mix", which is 1 part Provence Sante, 1 part Pre de Provence, 1 part L'Occitane Cade, 2 parts MDC, and 1 part glycerin. It is extremely nice.

brit, RyX, Screwtape and 1 other person like this.
  11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

heh...that sounds like a science project.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  12. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Great thread! I've always thought I've been somewhat of a heretic doing this, but now glad to see that others indulge in mixing. I have three tubs which are mixes of samples and small amounts, one of which went haywire at some time ago beyond salvation. Lesson learnt: stay clear of those smokey scents.

Anyway, my two successful tubs I think I can even account for. They're even named!

"Bitches Brew":
    Grandstaff Red Vetiver, Grandstaff Amyris, B&M Seville, LASSCo Myrkvidr, MLS Drunken Goat - and Nuavia Blu?

"Italian Stallion":
    Santa Maria Novella, Nuavia Rossa, Nuavia Verde, Aqua di Parma - plus two more, fresh cedar-bergamot style, can't recall.

Oh, and I have one that is a mix of all the Aventus dupes out there too, with a few sprays of the real deal added for good measure. The tub reads "Aventine Heights".

The only difficulty sometimes is the difference in consistency. Performance of the above are fab, though, as are the scents really. One is warm and spicy, one is fresh and uplifting, and the Aventine Heights is, well, Aventus smelling.

brit, Screwtape and Keithmax like this.
  13. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I mixed something like 20+ soaps together, grated most of them, and melted the ones that could be melted. It has a unusual citrus type of scent, but performance seems to be great, plus included a few menthol products to add a nice cooling effect without it being too strong. Have been happy with the mix, it is a way to use up soaps you don't like for whatever reason, and experimenting is a lot of fun to see what the end results are.

brit, Screwtape and Keithmax like this.
  14. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

My first try was mixing all my soft Italian almond soaps together. (Except for the tub of Cella, which hasn't gone into the mix -- yet.) I had 100ml samples of Vitos Green Supercrema and Vitos Red Extra Super Coco, a 150g bar of Valobra Almond and a 10ml sample of 3P, none of which really had proper containers. I couldn't tell the difference between the Vitos products anyway, so I kneaded them together first and then decided to throw the others in too "because they were there".

The mixture mutes the sickly sweet marzipan smell of a couple of the soaps into a purer and pleasanter true almond oil scent. Otherwise, performance is very good -- but then it was for most of the soaps anyway.

Edit:. Tonight, in the spirit of scientific inquiry, I dug out my little red tub of Cella and added it to the mix. I pried the Red Green Duct Tape Special frankensoap out of its two containers, scraped the Cella out of its tub and kneaded them together, then stuffed the resulting new mix back in the frankensoap tubs.

How did it go? Well... Cella is a much softer soap than any of the others (for "softer" read "stickier", "gooey-er" and "more glue-like"). The Vitos soaps were like Silly Putty and kneaded together easily and cleanly. The Valobra and 3P were softer but still not bad. The Cella brought back childhood memories either of making mudpies or of grabbing handfuls of cake batter -- squishy soap stuck to everything. Fortunately soap washes off easily; my hands have never felt better-tended than after this wash with gobs of soft almond and tallow soap...

The actual mixture looks and smells like it should be excellent. Smells again more like true almond oil than sickly sweet marzipan candy and a tiny bit I tried lathering whipped up mounds of creamy lather from very little soap. I think I have a real winner in the new improved Red Green Duct Tape Special (named for the Vitos Red label and Green label soaps in it and in homage to a famous Canadian TV personality and handyman whose main repair tool is duct tape).

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I like to use AoS slow soap with AoS sandalwood cream, produces an awesome lather.

Today I used A0S tallow with Castle Forbes lime, formed great, smelled great.

Screwtape likes this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I acquired a couple pucks of Mike's Natural shaving soap through a generous PIF. Though it has a wonder lather and is a provides a fine shave; I thought the sent to be almost non-existant. So I took the two pucks (Barbershop and Hungarian Lavender) and mixed them with a few remnants of Stirling orange chill, Pharaoh's Dreamsicle, 1/2 puck Lime. There was tiny bit of TOBS and something else, but that's negligible compare to the other primary ingredients. The final results is a very nice seated and wonderfully lathering soap.

I used a Kitchen Aid mixer and packed it into a 16oz Kids Konserve can (setting down from the top ~12mm).

If any of you have mixed some less than desirable soaps into a pure pleasure soap, please share. :D

Please share your nightmare experiments as well. :sick007:

brit, RyX and crackstar like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i mixed la toja,palmolive classic and nivea original creams into a jar due to no storage for tubes.works and smells great.i also mixed 2 pucks of williams with a puck of edwin jagger sandalwood soap.the result?williams that lathers better.win win. but i guess these aren t considered artisan.

Enrico and RyX like this.
  18. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to mix Stirling and Mike's. Really like the cushion of Mike's, but have never been able to get great slickness out of it. I might have to mash the two together one day.

Enrico likes this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well I can tell you from experience that a Kitchen Aid mixer does a great job. :D Best of both worlds!

20. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Did this combination work out well thinking of doing the same thing

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk