Merkur Futur Clone....My thoughts.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rich Daverson, Apr 8, 2017.

1. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

Take it apart and rotate the plate that the blade sits on 180 degrees then reassemble. When you're looking at the adjustment dial then look at the top of the razor there'll be 2 dots on that plate. They should be on the left. If that doesn't fix the problem then you need to take it apart again and this time flip the spring. When reassembling it the razor should be tightened all the way.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Jim99, DaltonGang, Tdmsu and 3 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

rumba dance steps.jpg
    Sorry, you made me giggle. :scared011::shocked029::lyrtuy5:
    Thank you for sharing a possible adjustment to another members problem!

Jim99, jimjo1031 and sky pilot 83 like this.
  3. sky pilot 83

I actually was going to make a video showing a complete teardown, and various ways to readjust and then reassembly. Just haven't gotten to it. Will do it this week

4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

"It's just a jump to the left" (chorus) "And a step to the r-i-i-i-ight"...

Jim99, RyX, jimjo1031 and 1 other person like this.
  5. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

Thanks! According to your description, the base plate was reversed. I fixed it as you recommended. The head of the razor no longer feels like it floats, but the blade exposure and alignment still takes some attention.

Thank you again.

Tdmsu and RyX like this.
  6. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

If you have the razor in your hand, then the instructions don't just make sense; they actually anticipate your next question. :)

RyX likes this.
  7. Bookworm

So, apparently the clones were assembled by people that didn't follow the directions? Maybe their Chinese instructions were translated from the German by someone whose first language was Urdu?

RyX likes this.
  8. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

Glass half full: for the difference between $70 and $10, I am happy to spend 7 seconds to make adjustments. A quick google shows that this happens with the "German" Futur too.

9. Bookworm

So they have the same instructions. got it. :)

sky pilot 83 and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

can-we-fix-it-yes-we-can.jpg
    With our Collective Intelligence this whole Clone thing may just turn out OK!

Keithmax, AGHisBBS and sky pilot 83 like this.
  11. Bookworm

Luckily I got rid of the last of those Dell Optiplexes a couple of years back. The power supply is okay, but the motherboard blows capacitors, and it's a PITA to replace them. The squirrel cage fan isn't easy to find to replace either. I still have one of those stashed in a drawer.

RyX likes this.
  12. sky pilot 83

You're welcome. Mine is the same way which apparently is a common problem with the design. Even the merkur futur has the alignment issues i read.

RyX likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I gave tiptop14 an opportunity to make good on the original offer, or refund and return shipping label. Seems there are no Future Clones available.

"Thanks for your msg.
    we'd like to refund you and we have finished arranging,plz have a check your account in 1-3 days.
    if you won't receive your money within 3 days, plz don't hesitate to contact us asap,we'll try our best to serve you.
    Also it would be nice of you to give us positive feedback and all of 5 stars after you receive the money.
    You know your kind support really means a lot to us,if you don't like, you can ignore this feedback instead of negative or any low DSR.
    Many thanks and wish you a nice day !
    "

So a cheerful refund (EDIT; $2.88 refund received), no return shipping label, and they hope for my good (or else no) review.
    Lesson learned; If it seems too good to be true...

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Jim99, AGHisBBS, Tdmsu and 1 other person like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Proper lesson learned: don't get greedy-coulda had one for $5.98 on AliExpress.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  15. Bookworm

I'd have bought from victoriasheng, if they'd been there at the time. They weren't. Again, I don't want my main credit card exposed to AliExpress. Those of you who have five or six cards can have one just for 'just in case' - I don't.

DaltonGang and jimjo1031 like this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

One reason why a couple of my friends use pre-loaded cards for places that don't use Paypal.

sky pilot 83, Tdmsu and DaltonGang like this.
  17. drwevil

drwevil Well-Known Member

Yeah I got screwed too the seller is girlqueen and I have asked for a refund.... will let you know how I get on.
    I see a PayPal dispute in my near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. sky pilot 83

Threaten to leave bad reviews and a horrible feedback if you don't get a refund.

19. drwevil

drwevil Well-Known Member

I am playing nice for the time being. If I hear nothing by morning I'll start playing hardball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  20. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I got a refund from girlqueen a couple days ago.

RyX likes this.