What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    SOTD - First Official Day of Boating on Lake Pend Oreille

Kamisori - My Red wire wrap thanks for the hints so many years ago Charlie
    SRD Premium 1 strop
    Bay Rum from Prairie Creations for the lather
    Semogue 1305 Boar brush

One Multi-directional pass and a clear water touch up on the OHHHHHhhhh so short beard, gotta to get my tan on today :D

Freaking smooth as oriental silk Boooooyaah
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

A lot of Japanese razors were showing up recently so I broke out mine. My Suzy Q could stand a refresh but she came through in the end with a smooth, close shave. :happy088:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Mike's Natural Soaps Barber Shop
    Savile Row 3824 Silvertip
    Suzumasa AA FBU 13/16
    Osma Bloc d'Alun
    T&H Classic After Shave Balm
    Suzumasa AA 13:16 AOS MNSBS SR TH.JPG

Happy shaving - Karl

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Try hot water, and see if that eliminates the tugging. I dislike preshave oils, anymore, but you can always give that a go.

Billyfergie, ob1page, Kizurra and 4 others like this.
  4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

It could be a lot of things. The Kamisori may need a refresh, your angle could be off, the pressure and strength of your stroke, lather, etc. could all be contributing. But, it sounds familiar to me - exactly what I experienced as I was adjusting to straight shaves. It will all come together in the end. :happy088: Or, just skip ahead to the belt sander. :happy097:

Billyfergie, twhite, ob1page and 7 others like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

As I understand it PSO helps keep the skin hydrated by trapping the moisture - thus reducing irritation and cuts. I don't think it really does anything for softening a beard and making it easier to cut. Water and lather make the protective "flaps" on each hair lift out exposing the softer core for easier cutting. :happy088:

6. DaltonGang

Tonight's shave was with a newly acquired, partially restored, and honed razor. I had a very smooth 2 pass shave, that left me BDBS. Zero issues, only a fantastic shave. This one took a fast edge, that was straight as an arrow.

Razor- "Hugo Rader 38". Solingen.
    Brush- Zenith Boar
    Soap- Arko/Avon Spicy
    Aftershave- Osage Rub

P5270947.JPG

7. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

You don't need to go hot shave, cold is fine "but" I would suggest hot prep. Either shower warm to hot and wash face before shave. Heat softens quicker and washing rids the hairs of half their protection. Ie oils and accumulated dust and such that accrues all day and all night. Or hot towel and face wash if not shower time, then cold shave away. If still problematic then you can rule out prep. Some of my most beautiful mirrored edges don't cut for s@#$. Some of my ugliest one's do fantastically. Every ones skin and hair are different so edges can vary greatly. Part of the fun is learning what works for you, which likely wouldn't work for half of everyone else. Just keep playing.:shaver

Billyfergie, Keithmax, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  8. kamp

kamp Well-Known Member

* SWK XL scuttle
    * Shavemac TSR LE 2016 DO12band
    * Koraat 6/8 near wedge "the White Queen"
    * Prorasso green preshave
    * OSP Grapefruit & Menthol
    * Osaga Rub
    * Prep asb
    IMG_0945.JPG

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Dove Bismarck. I love vintage steel, but this modern shaver is really hard to top when it comes to shaving:)

IMG_0241.JPG

Drygulch, Navarrsky, Beadog and 14 others like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I used my Wade and Butcher "elite" this morning. It was tugging a bit, so I'll run it over my 8k and 12k Naniwa stones tonight. However, the results were still good this morning. I had gotten a comfortable DFS out of this razor.
    IMG_2438.jpg

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

W. Greaves & Son stubtail...sweet!
    [​IMG]

12. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

20170528_165856_resized.jpg
    vintage boker king cutter 6/8. incredible thin grind and noisy.

13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

5/8 Le Minet "The Kitty"
    RR Emperor
    big Omega knot

Nice shave this morning. I sure like the scent of this soap.
    [​IMG]

Drygulch, alpla444, Beadog and 14 others like this.
  14. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Henckels Friodur 8/8

DSCF2059.jpg

15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

16. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

Today's results were similar to last week. It went well on the cheeks and neck. The chin and moustache, not so much. It reminds me of when I used a carbon blade in my safety razor. It just wouldn't cut the hairs. It was more apt to pull them out. I finished once again with a safety. Have a great week everyone.
    IMG_1221.jpg

Drygulch, alpla444, Beadog and 12 others like this.
  17. DaltonGang

Today's shave was with a loaner. Freshly prettified, and honed. I had a very enjoyable and smooth 2 pass shave with this razor. I hate to give it back, it was that pleasant. BBS results, without any issues.

Razor- J.A.Henckels Twin Works.
    Brush- Zenith Boar
    Soap- Arko/Avon Spicy
    Aftershave- Pinaud Clubman
    P5280952.JPG

Drygulch, alpla444, Beadog and 12 others like this.
  18. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Torrey. About as good as the come, for about 15 bucks and some elbow grease.

TorrShave3.JPG

Drygulch, alpla444, Kizurra and 9 others like this.
  19. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I've used a straight for about 6 or 7 years now. I have a lot of straights and soaps and brushes. Sometimes I feel a chromium oxide touchup isn't enough and so I go back to 12K hone and then if that doesn't get it, go to 8K. Sometimes that doesn't really help. I'm finding the prep and richness of lather are very important and that the blade edge isn't always the problem. I've used strictly cold water for my shaves, because my face was getting extremely irritated with hot or warm water. You can definitely get a great shave with cold water. If the shave starts out rough, rinse off the lather and re-lather. Some people do two lathers before they start as prep. I also use Proraso Pre Shave. Work the lather, re-wet as needed, stretch the skin. Sometimes I start with a layer of shave cream and then lather in a soap. I think the more soap or more shave cream to start and get the right wetness is key to a good shave. Then you might realize that straight edge is fine after all.

Drygulch, Billyfergie, Jim99 and 8 others like this.
  20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

This Russkie is like an old friend. The first pass was so-so but the finish was fantastic. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Mike's Natural Soap Barbershop
    Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip
    1961 Paketa STIZ 11/16
    Osma Bloc d'Alun
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm
    Paketa 1961 STIZ 11:16 AOS MNSBS SM AOS.JPG

Happy shaving - Karl

Last edited: May 29, 2017