The best blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by nicolys, May 29, 2017.

1. nicolys

nicolys New Member

I have always used wilkinson sword classics as they are all that is available in my area, but they don't shave that well and are really expensive at just over a dollar a blade. What are good blades that I should check out? It would be best if they come from amazon.

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  2. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

My go to DE blades are the Astra SP's. $10 for 100 from Amazon.

3. nicolys

nicolys New Member

Ok I will check them out! Thanks!

4. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

A lot of folks, including myself, like AstraSP. For me, these are the benchmark blades. When I think of blades, I think, "Are they sharper/duller/smoother/rougher than Astras?"

With a little Shopping around on the net, they can be bought for $10.00 to $12.00 per 100.

Did you ever consider a sample pack? Many Ebay sellers have sample packs with a good selection of blades to choose from.

Voskhod blades are good and they are teflon coated. The teflon gives it a different feel, smoother, when shaving.
    Gillette Silver Blue are also a favorite and are a bit sharper than Astras.

BeShaved and RyX like this.
  5. nicolys

nicolys New Member

Ok I will try the gillettes as well. And when I first started looking for blades I was told to never buy sample packs as they are the reject blades. This never made sense but sure enough one of my brothers got a sample pack and the blades were super rusty. Was this just a fluke?

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Lots of choices: Personna Super (Lab Blues), Astra SP, Voskhod, Rapira (different types), Gillette Silver Blue. Many choices to choose from.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  7. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Rusty blades in a sample pack? Yikes! I only bought one sample pack. It had 50 blades in it, and they were all fine.

I don't know if this was my good luck or your brother's bad luck.

RyX likes this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

tryablade.com for some samplers. Family Dollar and Dollar General sell DE blades - 5 for a buck, basically Dorcos. (good in a pinch)

TheFiveO, dustmite and Shaver X like this.
  9. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Im a noob so take it with a grain of salt. Loved the personna blue lab, and astra sp. Did not like the Vokshod at all, but thats my face YMMV. Tryabalde is very reasonable and shipping was fast, I definitely recommend them.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

10. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

My top three blades are Nacet, Gillette Silver Blue, and Polsivers. However, in my opinion this is the biggest YMMV piece of shaving.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BeShaved likes this.
  11. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

My sample packs were all brand new. I can't see how they are rejects because the seller just pulls them from an open carton instead of selling you one.

Astra SP are my go to blade.
    They work well for most people. Glad to see you are giving them a go. I get 7 shaves off of one. That's two years on a carton of 100 for $12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jmarlow and BeShaved like this.
  12. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Many of the very most liked blades are Russian. This means blades with brands like Voskhod, Astra, Rapira, Sputnik, Nacet, some Gillette blades etc. There are some good Russian blade sample packs on ebay, giving you a full tuck (5 blades) of each. I recommend you to get one of these sample packs.

Additionally, I recommend you to get some Japanese blades (Feather and KAI). They are a bit more expensive, but for some they are still the most optimal blades.

BeShaved likes this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Russian Blades

BeShaved and RetLEO-07 like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ladas. Personna Lab Blue....

BeShaved likes this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Gillette Silver Blue, Voskhod, Shark Super Chrome, Gillette 7 o'clock Green. These are blades that have worked for me. A caveat however, my face and razors are different than yours. Good luck in your quest. May I suggest a 30 Day Rule or Focus to help in your decision making process? It worked very well for me.

BeShaved likes this.
  16. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

My favorite blade by far is Astra SS. They are just as smooth but a tad sharper than Astra SP. Other favorites of mine include Astra SP, Rapira Super Stainless, Rapira Swedish Supersteel, Gillette Rubie Red and Personna Lab Blue.

BeShaved likes this.
  17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Personally, the Astra SS Liked me not.

Linuxguile and BeShaved like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

astra sp ,gillette silver blue,voskhod work for me.wilkinsons in a new to me razor or aggressive razor.

Linuxguile and BeShaved like this.
  19. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

One of the best things that comes with DE shaving is the huge variety of blade choices. I love Perma Sharp blades from Russia. Do the sampler and you'll have a blade you'll fall in love with before the sampler is gone.

I always check both Amazon and Ebay when I order and do more business on Ebay. Both have worked well.

20. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Both Gillette Silver Blue and Astra SP blades work real well for me.