Coconut essential oil in witch hazel

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Flatfish, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

I would like to add coconut essential oil to my very cheap witch hazel just to make it smell nice.
    I cannot seem to find coconut essential oil anywhere in the UK. Can anyone point me to a UK website as I don't want to pay for overseas postage.
    Many thanks
    Kristian

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I've never seen coconut essential oil. At least not that I recall.

I've only heard of coconut oil, which is a solid until you warm it a bit. But it is an excellent skin moisturizer.

If you just want the scent I'm pretty sure you have to go with a fragrance oil.

3. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Thanks for the info. I'm still new to these things.
    I shall try a new search for fragrance oil.
    Kristian

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

You can do a google search for Coconut essential oil and find several vendors that carry the essential oil. You may want to narrow the search to UK suppliers. The name would be Coconut Absolute but search "Coconut Essential Oil" and it shows to be on the expensive side. Good luck.

Raf

5. Singapura

Singapura Member

I got a couple of trees in the front garden. You'll have to squeeze them yourself :D

6. Queen of Blades

Essential oils and absolutes aren't the same thing, but yea, you can use them if you want to pay the price.

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I tried adding coconut extract (grocery store) to a sample of GFT Coconut cream once in an attempt to give it a scent. Didn't hurt anything. Didn't work either.

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Here we go...

Absolutes are "essential oils". Essential oils is a blanket term use because of the distillation process use to acquire the oils. To further explain for those interested, Ruhs,Attars, Ottos and Absolutes are members of the "rare and precious oils" also known as "pure essential oils". The term "essential oil" used in the broadest sense describes the volatile substances inherent in aromatic botanicals that result from the distillation process. This term is often used in a generic sense and used in the description of aromatic essences that are derived from tmany distillation processes. I will further explain the distillation proccesses later this afternoon.

Raf

9. Queen of Blades

I won't pretend to be an expert.

Read this
    . And this.

Irena has more years of experience with this stuff than I. Perhaps she'll chime in.

10. Interesting, I did not know you could get a natural Coconut fragrance. Very expensive though and Coconut fragrance oil smells good, so there is really no need for it. I will buy some though just to see what it smells like.

Regards,

Paul

11. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Coconut absolute is the pressed (deoleated) Coconut Meal. Right now it goes for around 2 ml. for $19.00 This is done via Solvent/Alcohol Extraction.

You would be better off purchasing virgin, unrefined coconut oil or pure Tahitian Monoi (not Tiare or Gardenia). Either one will give you a very mild coconut scent.

You can also make your own, if you want just a small amount. Buy a coconut, crack it open and drain out the water. Then shred just the white meat. Bake the shreds in the oven, covered, on low it they soften up. Let cool til warm. Run this through a blender with a little bit of water, then strain and put in the fridge. The following morning, you should see the oil which is separate and the meat which separated out of the oil.

To me absolutes are absolutes and not essential oils since the processing between the two is very different. I do understand that the general public would not necesarilly know the difference.

12. Queen of Blades

Thanks for the great info, Irena!

Any tips/how-to on using absolutes?

13. apswartz

apswartz New Member

What about the Coconut Extract flavoring you can get in a grocery store?

14. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Regardless on how the oil is extracted it is oil. The fact that different aromatic oils are obtained through different methods does not precludes them from being what the general public considers or uses the blanket statement "essential oils". Absolutes are oils not fragance oils because of the processes used to obtain the oil. In addition, the fact that individuals do not consider Absolutes to be, and I use the term again "Essential Oils", does not by any means signifies that they are not indeed pure oils.

So to answer the original post, YES there are Coconut essential oils.

good try though

Raf

15. Queen of Blades

From what I'm seeing through a quick googling is; there is no real coconut extract flavoring oil. Natural or Organic Coconut Extract are just a group of flavors mixed together to create "coconut". And of course, imitation you probably don't need an explanation of. It seems technically they are all "imitation".

Of course, there is coconut milk, coconut oil, and coconut flakes. Those are real.

16. Queen of Blades

No one said the oils weren't pure.

17. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

bring on the double team!!!! I like a challenge

:happy102

Raf

18. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

You're welcome. Absolutes are best for leave on applications like lotions, creams or facial serums. Depending which one is used, 0.5% dilution equals to about 2-3 drops of absolute per ounce of carrier oil, lotion, cream or serum. They are very concentrated, so a little bit goes along way.

19. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

don't even try it!!!! you did not even know the oil existed

20. Queen of Blades

The Essential Oil doesn't exist. :)

I didn't bring up absolutes as I didn't want to confuse or over-complicate the thread.

What I don't know, I'm willing to confess to. And google can provide answers. I use google A LOT, as anyone who looks at my past posts can see.