What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Something different for today. This vintage Ever-Ready brush had been listed and relisted on eBay and it called to me everytime I saw it. So, I bought it. I never figured on it being so small. Clearly an early entry into the travel brush category. The diameter is about the size of a penny. Holds water like crazy but had it figured out by the third pass. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Mike's Natural Soaps Barbershop
    Vintage Ever-Ready boar's hair
    Greaves & Sons 6/8 Wedge
    Osma Bloc d'Alun
    T&H Classic After Shave Balm
    Greaves Wedge 6:8 AOS MNSBS ER TH.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Great setup, Karl :)

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with an Oldie. I had a nice two pass shvave, that left me near BBS. Nice, Big, and Chunky.

Razor- George Wostenholm & Sons Celebrated IXL Razor. Washington Works. Sheffield.
    Brush- B400 By Tom
    Soap- Stirling Ozark Mountain
    Aftershave- Florida Water
    P5310957.JPG

4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Another plain Jane razor: G. Johnson from Sheffield. Not fancy, but this fella gets it done.

IMG_0685.JPG

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Wonderedge DD

[​IMG]
    Had a very relaxing and smooth shave tonight. This blade sings. One of my thinnest grinds.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Vintage Sheffield Rattler from Frederick Reynolds...nimble, sweet two-pass shave.[​IMG]

7. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Razor: Portland Razor Co Chimera
    Strop: Drygulch 45
    Brush Handle: B-400 The Brush by Tom
    Knot: APShaveCo Tuxedo
    Soap: Talbot Shaving Holland Glen
    Post Care: Thayers Witch Hazel
    Alum
    Osage Rub
    Aftershave: Chatillon Lux La Forest de Liguest

Wonderful early morning shave today. Lathering up and letting it sit for a while really helps soften the beard. Three passes today; no blood , silent alum and a DFS. The Talbot is a fantastic soap; great scent, easy to lather and very slick. I can see why it's sells out so fast. This Chatillon Lux scent is also fantastic. It starts off green with a slight citrus but now that it has dried down I'm getting vanilla and musk. As usual the performance is top notch. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Thanks! I needed something new for the den. :rofl:

9. DaltonGang

Today's shave was with a razor that's bit me a few times. This one seems to have it out for me, but, not today. :D. I had a very smooth 2 pass shave, as always, with this razor. Near BBS results. Zero issues. This is one of my favorites. I don't know why??

Razor- "Respect 4" Best Silver Steel. Extra Hollow Ground. Germany.
    Brush- B400, By Tom
    Aftershave- Osage Rub
    P6010962.JPG

10. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

I think the reason is that perfect square point. They bite you more easily, but when properly respected, they are great shavers.

11. DaltonGang

I know, I know, but I have some wicked looking "Spike Point" razors, that make the "Respect" razors "Square Point" look tame. They don't seem to have it out for me. Then again, nothing happened today.

12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have some square points that are well behaved. I had one that had a nasty disposition and liked to bite. He went to a new home off Craigslist. I couldn't, in good conscience, even offer up on the bst here on the forum:)

Billyfergie, Keithmax, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Lackluster results tonight with the Challenge Cutlery. Typically a great shaver. He needs a trip to the barbers hone and a session with some leather. We'll try again on Saturday:)

IMG_0191.JPG

14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

5/8 Hackett Diamond (hardware co. razor)
    Pannacrema Vetiver
    homemade brush

This is yesterdays shave. Nice shave but this blade has more to offer. It'll go back to the black arkie for a little more touching up. The Panacrema is a good soap but not what I'd consider a true vetiver but a very pleasant scent. I way overloaded the brush but ended up with an excellent lather. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Kami Friday: A challenge this morning as I use this lefty Kanenaga (兼長) kamisori with only my right hand. Slow & steady with some awkward contortions...[​IMG]

16. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Dovo Bismarck #2
    This is a very nice shaver[​IMG]

18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The translucent scales go well the the translucent handle. Very nice!

Karl G, Kizurra, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Around twelve years and I really enjoyed it. :)

Karl G, Kizurra, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Tonight's shave was with a freshly honed and restored razor. I had a very smooth 2 pass shave, with BBS results. Zero issues. This is a well built, fine handling razor.

Razor- Beau Brummel 35
    Brush- B400 By Tom
    Aftershave- Avon Spicy
    P6020965.JPG

Drygulch, Navarrsky, Karl G and 11 others like this.