Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing, but I like my Rockwells so much that I will probably a stainless anyway. :drool:

2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

SOTD:

Coffee: Peet's Major Dickason's
    Shower soap: Duke Cannon Big Ass Bar of Smells Like Victory
    Pre: Shave oil Sara-s-recipe-mod (grape seed oil, jojoba oil, vegetable glycerin, lavender)
    Razor: Rockwell 6S-3
    Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Platinum (black)
    Soap: West Coast Shaving Ocean
    Brush: JohnsBrushes synthetic
    Aftershave: Mickey-Lee Soapworks Colonia di Grumi

Love that razor. It's displaced my Feather AS-D2.

Tdmsu likes this.
  3. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Surely the SS is going to be more expensive, but I think Zamak was not on the equation when the Rockwell guys needed funding.

4. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

Ur almost right. Originally the only zinc parts were going to be the internals. Then they switched it to brass internals. Then they said the head material couldn't handle the tight tolerances so it was going to be zamak and the internals stainless steel. Now they've added, for a little bit more money, an all stainless steel model T into the equation.

But i have 2 Rockwell 6S razors so I'll be fine. I was wanting to start collecting Rockwell products since they have blades, soaps, razors, and soon will have brushes available. But man, they're having so many problems right that aren't even their fault i think I'll hold off.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

5. Kypros Christodoulides

The madel T was supposed to have come out last March. The new announced time is July and I believe we'll see about that.

sky pilot 83 likes this.
  6. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Ugh... Rockwell is a dream for Kickstarter supporters. Their communication is second to none and their commitment to delivering a great final product is their PRIMARY goal, not delivering something fast. If you want to see a shaving project that people have a right to be upset about, check out the Kickstarter for the Beluga razor. That guy (Zac) hasn't communicated with anyone in almost a year, hasn't delivered a single product, and is like 2 years past the estimated delivery date. If Rockwell can be faulted for anything, it's for being way too up front and honest with everybody. They get asked constantly when the razors will be shipped and they give the best estimate they can every time. If they slip for any reason, they get bashed for missing a deadline. Rockwell has proven time and time again that they are a customer focused based company that are committed to delivering a great product. I'm willing to wait.

Wouldn't you rather wait an extra month or two for a much better product?

7. Kypros Christodoulides

Of course I'm willing to wait for a superior product and I have no doubt they will deliver. I even e-mailed them asking to upgrade to the SS model T. It's just that I suffer from RAD and can't wait.

Tdmsu and McHale like this.
  8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

let the rad float trough ur veins like turd floats in the sewage

9. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

We all have that problem. I ordered the RazoRock 400 brush from Italian Barber that should have been here days ago. The USPS misrouted it to Guam (seriously... Guam). I REALLY wanted to try it. SO disappointed. It's not that I don't have a brush to use. I wanted THAT brush to use.

The only thing keeping me from going nuts waiting on the SS Model T is I'm convinced that it can't possibly be a smoother shaver than the 6s. Nothing can be. I bought it mainly to support the company and if it turns out to be awesome, it's a bonus. I have PLENTY of razors, several of which are adjustables. And if they come out with another high end razor next year, I'll buy that as well.

-Mc

Tdmsu and Kypros Christodoulides like this.
  10. sky pilot 83

I just feel bad for their string of bad luck. Every single problem they've had this far hasn't been their fault but someone elses. The confusion about the model T is probably the most frustrating thing a rockwell customer has ever had to put up with. But the Rockwell team is trying to figure it all out.

Tdmsu and Terry Williams like this.
  11. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the V1/V1.5 6s fiasco will always be the most frustrating Rockwell experience. Only a handful of us got the original V1 (mine was almost perfect - just a tiny smile in the original cap) before they stopped shipping. Most people got the V1.5 that had all the grinding, rendering it scary aggressive. At that point in time, Rockwell was brand new and I believe they were both still in college. Expectations were pretty low and people were angry.

When they came back and gave everybody a complete V2 for free, I was sold as a loyal customer. I wish I knew them personally because I'd be curious if they lost money by the time it was all over or if they at least broke even. If anybody knows, please don't share because honestly, it's not mine or anybody's business but I've always been curious. The outpouring of support from many of the backers was amazing and restored my faith in humanity to some degree.

I still pull out the original V1 once in a while and shave with it.

12. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

There will be an update on June 5th. Gareth is just getting a few final details ironed out before making the update.

I have been one of the most ardent supporters of Rockwell since the start. If I so much as mention Rockwell or even post in a thread about it on a certain other forum I will be banned. I know basically what goes into making new products and the problems that can arise so I have been very patient through it all.

During the trouble with the V1/V1.5, one of the co founders backed out and went back to college while Gareth dropped out and stayed with the razor. After the V1.5 guy screwed them over Gareth basically cashed out all of his savings and even got a few loans to make everything right. I am not sure of the status of the other co founder at this point. The above is public knowledge, Gareth stated it in somebodies podcast a while back.

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. Kypros Christodoulides

One thing I noticed about my 6S is that the blades last longer than in other razors. I so fa have used the feather and polsilver. Has anyone had a similar experience? I put it down to the smoothness of the shave which presumably doesn't wear out the blade as much as other less smooth DE's.
    I've sent them an e-mail requesting to change my order to the SS model T, if I may.

Tdmsu and sky pilot 83 like this.
  14. sky pilot 83

Let us know how that works out and what the cost will be for the ss model t..

15. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

If you check out this update here https://www.kickstarter.com/project...zor-and-razor-blades-shaving-pe/posts/1848998 there is a section on the Stainless model where you can sign up for more info on them.

So far the cost of the Stainless model is not known. Gareth was working out the molds and production and what not as of the last update. I suspect we will hear more about it. Unless Gareth has things nearly finalized I doubt we would hear about a price as he does not want to claim one price then find out later it will cost a lot more because I know people would majorly bitch and complain about it.

16. Kypros Christodoulides

Thank you Average-Joe, I just signed up for the SS, requesting to replace my order to the SS version.

McHale likes this.
  17. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

I think I'm pretty close. I call out the anti-Rockwell shenanigans as they occur and get hand-slapped by mods in immediate fashion. I no longer care. I'm pretty much done over there. I like it better here at TSD anyway.

I'm aware of all that except Morgan didn't really "back out" of Rockwell. I think Gareth took the lead at Rockwell Razors while Morgan finished his last semester of school. As of the Model T Kickstarter, Morgan is still very much an equal part of Rockwell Razors. If you check out the Model T kickstarter and scroll to the bottom of the "Campaign" tab, both are listed under "About the team." It may just appear that he is AWOL since Gareth handles all of the marketing, communications, and sales while Morgan focuses on manufacturing, research, and development.

And for those that haven't read it, I highly recommend reading this article from Gareth. It's an amazing inside look on starting a business, loyalty to customers, and learning some really tough life lessons:

https://venturebeat.com/2016/03/13/how-my-kickstarter-blew-up-my-life/

18. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I agree with this and also have 30+ years experience in Materials Management as well as taking a product from design on paper to market both domestically and internationally. It hard to watch what is happening with the Model T. But sourcing in China is COMPLETELY a different process than the USA. Their lack of experience is a huge hurdle, which they learned with the 6S launch and re living it again. Garth will make it right in the end. It's just hard to watch at times.

Tdmsu likes this.
  19. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I was in a hurry today, so I did just two passes - WTG then ATG with voskhod and the 6s-6. Excellent results again - very comfortable and efficient. This is quickly becoming my favorite razor!

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Rockwell -5 plate / Permasharp. The Rockwell base plate doesn't fully support the blade so I imagined a shim might improve stability. Sure felt great, definitely one of my closest head shaves with a lot less angst than the Shavecraft Tech.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Tdmsu and Terry Williams like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.