My Straight Razor Journey

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by COMPNOR, Jun 2, 2017.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

So over the holiday weekend I spoke to Larry @ Whipped Dog about my first straight razor. I placed an order, and it arrived yesterday. A HESS Hair Milk Laboratories, 5/8" full hollow (pics to come). I did get the poor man's strop kit from him, but also decided to buy the Straight Razor Design modular paddle strop. I wanted to focus on my technique, not the strop.

So tonight I decided to give it a go. Results.... not sure. So my only intention tonight was to do a single pass on each cheek and then finish with the Schick E3. First thing I noticed was that I found it a bit difficult to determine the angle of the blade, as my hand was in the way. I tried to keep the angle shallow, and was just trying to remove the lather... but it didn't really see to go anywhere. The blade I mean. Kept feeling like it was sticking. I was able to eventually make a pass, and it seemed like it did do some reduction. I didn't cut myself.

i then switched hands, and tried for a single pass on the left side with much the same results. Again it felt like I had done some reduction, but not a lot. After that I rinsed the blade off and set it down to dry while I finished my shave. When I was done I took the paddle strop (I had the smooth leather attached) and did 30 passes.

Tomorrow (or maybe not since I'm going to the symphony) I think I'll relather the cheeks and do a second pass.

But until then.... Tips?

Do you think my angle was too steep, and that is why it wasn't gliding? I prep with PSO, and my Schick E3 glides over the lather, so I don't think it is a problem with the lather.

The modular paddle strop came with a rough leather and two felt pads, should I be using one of those too?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Kokak, BigMike, Billyfergie and 5 others like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

This video helped me get my feet wet. I watched it a number of times.

Don't take your lather for granted. Lather for straight shaving should be slicker (wetter). This is key, I could get away with a lot less water when shaving with a de or injector.

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

As long as you didn't cut yourself, it was a success. Just play with the angle, and the lather. Also, start using shorter strokes, if you haven't already, until you are more proficient. Don't be afraid to add a little firmness to your grip, and play with the pressure on the cheek.

BeShaved, Kokak, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  4. COMPNOR

My strokes were definitely short, just kind of worked out that way since I kept sticking. I am anxious to try again.

Looks like I'll be adding a bit more water to my lather too.

BeShaved, Kokak, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  5. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

For the skipping issue I'm going to say scratch the pso on your next try. Works great for 50% and not so good for the other 50%. Prep is half the work to a great straight shave, after shower or hot towel and wash or a cold wash. Then lather up and take your time with the lathering so it soaks in.

BeShaved, Kokak, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

No preshave oil for me, just warm water before the lather.
    I ditched the PSO, long ago.

Kokak, BeShaved, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  7. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

You and me both. I still try it once in awhile but always end up washing it out after the first pass.

Kokak, BeShaved, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I'll stick up for the PSO. I think it helps prevent cuts by keeping the skin moist. :happy088:

I suspect pretty much everyone can relate to the razor getting stuck in our early shaves. Another variable to play with is skin stretching. It can make a very big difference. You can see Lynn Abrams doing this at about the 15 minute mark on the video @Spyder posted.

Early shaves rarely go anything like you'd like them to. It could easily be 10 or more shaves before it starts to click. Stick with it, with time and practice it will all come together. :git:

BeShaved, twhite, Kokak and 6 others like this.
  9. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

By the way, I have the same modular strop and like it a lot. The rough side should be used for 20 or so laps and then the finished side for 50 to 70 laps. The felt is used for touch up when you notice the edge losing it's sharpness. For me that's about every four shaves more or less. You need to have the .5 micron diamond spray. The diamond spray is applied to the felt a day in advance and then you use it for 5 or 10 laps as needed. :happy088:

BeShaved, Kokak, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am new to straights, too. I only use my straights on Saturdays. I have done two passes, but most of the time I just do one pass and then do a clean up with whatever DE or SE razor I am using that week. Stretch your skin, don't get in a hurry, and don't drop the razor.

BeShaved, twhite, Kokak and 7 others like this.
  11. COMPNOR

Hello! Busy weekend, but not with shaving. I went to the symphony last night, so I just used my SE razor. And no shave tonight. But I did make my lather slicker/wetter/shinier. So I'll try and keep that up tomorrow.

But a question on stroping....

So in addition to the Whipped Dog straight I also got the Poor Man's Strop kit. So the instructions that came with the leather strop said 20-30 passes on the smooth side. Obviously, there isn't a felt piece or rough piece. Obviously this is also barebones minimum me thinks, just to get your feet wet.

So with the paddle strop I can attach the rough leather, but you're saying 20 passes on that and then 50-70 passes? That seems like a big discrepancy.

I don't want to go overboard, but I don't want to shortchange my razor either.

BeShaved, Kokak, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I think, like shaving, each has their own routine. After the shave, I strop 25 laps. Before using, I strop 25 on Linnen and 40-50 on the leather. Why do I do this? The best answer is just "because" :D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    BeShaved, Kokak, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  13. COMPNOR

Works for me.

14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

As Mentioned Above..Prep is All Important..Also..Have the Blade on the Move as You Touch the Face..In Other Words..Start the Stroke as You Touch the Face & Keep the Razor On the Move..Put in Shaving Time..The Learning is in the Practice..:D

Billy..:chores016:

BeShaved, Kokak, Robyflexx and 7 others like this.
  15. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

There's no magic number. Like @Spyder says, everyone has their own routine. I used to only strop 50 on smooth and now I like 70. I think there is a thing as too few and too many but a fair amount of room in between for what feels right. I know some people sometime put 100 on the smooth.

I no longer have the instructions that came with my Poor Man's strop. Is it possible it says to strop 20 - 30 times before and after stropping - i.e. 40 to 60 laps in total? :signs002:

BeShaved, Kokak, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  16. COMPNOR

Just checked and it said 20 to 30 passes before or after.

Like I said, I just want to make sure I'm not shortchanging myself or my razor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BeShaved, Kokak, Robyflexx and 5 others like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I do 10-15 on linen after the shave to dry the edge. Before the shave 20 on linen or webbing then 50-60 on leather...... 'just because'. Try different number of passes and see what you like best. I shave in the morning but strop my razor the night before.

BeShaved, Kokak, Robyflexx and 5 others like this.
  18. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

The three "P's" of learning to straight shave: Plenty water (slick lather), Practice and Perseverance.

DanielB, BeShaved, twhite and 6 others like this.
  19. COMPNOR

So tonight I did my second straight shave, a simple single WTG pass on each cheek. I kind of wanted to go a bit further, but kept myself in check.

So for prep:

I'm doing the same thing I've always done. I always shower before shaving. I'm going to stick with the PSO for now. Whether it actually does something or it is just in the mind, I always felt like I got a better shave with it than without it.

The shave went well, the lather wasn't as slick as it should have been. Definitely not like my shave on Saturday. There was some sticking, but not terrible. No blood draw. I had two days worth of stubble, so I could definitely tell it was cutting something.

Post shave, I did 20 passes/laps on the rough leather side, then 30 passes/laps on the smooth leather side.

We will see what tomorrow brings.

BeShaved, twhite, Kokak and 5 others like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Success!
    :happy036:

BigMike, BeShaved, twhite and 6 others like this.