Do you shave Faster, Slower or Equal with a DE razor vs common razors?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by tazorac, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I take, on average, about 20 mins from start-to-finish when I'm shaving with my DE. I do shave at night, and have no need to rush.

I haven't shaved with a cart or disposable in years, but I do remember it being faster - probably like 5 mins in total. But, like others have mentioned, if I shave with a cart, my face is irritated and raw for the rest of the night/day. Just isn't worth it. I honestly enjoy taking my time shaving and relish in the thought of spending at least 20 mins performing my grooming ritual.

2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I don't have any kids, at least not that I know of. There are a lot of other people who do, or who work multiple jobs, and things like that. My point is that not everybody wants to dither about when they shave, for whatever reason, even if they have the time to do so. I certainly don't, and would find it an annoying waste of time rather than relaxing. The same goes for large collections of shaving gear and very expensive products. I could afford to buy a bunch of ridiculously overpriced stainless steel razors, but why should I when a single $35 Edwin Jagger DE89 does a fantastic job? Since switching to traditional wetshaving, shaving has become a pleasure rather than a chore. I see no reason to change that.

wchnu, Bookworm and CarlfromMO like this.
  3. FranklinFurter

FranklinFurter Well-Known Member

I now shave slower with a DE razor than I did with carts. But I learned to shave with a Slim in the mid 60's and sure didn't waste any time shaving with it during my Army years in the late 60's (at best a fast single pass). I used that razor for years until DE blades were no longer available in retail stores. As a result, I don't believe I ever used a cart properly because I continued with the same technique--little or no pressure, finding the correct angle by feel--I had mastered while DE shaving. Consequently, returning to DE shaving was simple. Anyway, I'm retired now and take my time shaving, going for the bbs shave, with 2-3 passes, on most days. The Slim remains my favored razor.

4. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

When I first started (but maybe that was the case for everybody) it took me about 15-20 minutes to shave with a DE...now with 2 passes including having the shaving cream sit for about a minute on my face to soften the hairs, it takes me about 6-8

5. Poster

Poster Member

Much slower. It takes me now approximately 15 minutes for a shave

6. Hardwood Shavings

Hardwood Shavings New Member

I have found that I personally shave faster with a DE razor then a cartridge razor. Its not a huge time difference but with my facial hair it takes me less passes to shave with a DE then cartridge. I think that your blade of choice certainly makes the difference.